none
How to check whether the presentation contains some non-standard font? RRS feed

• Question

• When I open an existing presentation which is created and modified on another computer (e.g., Mac or Linux), some texts in non-standard true type fonts prevent me from saving the presentation.

Error

So my question is

1) Is it possible to catch and handle this error in code?

2) Or is there any way to check whether a presentation contains some non-standard font?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi chipbk,

>>1) Is it possible to catch and handle this error in code?<<

Based on my understanding, the issue was alredy caught by PowerPoint so we can see this messagbox. We are not able to catch it.

>>2) Or is there any way to check whether a presentation contains some non-standard font?<<

As far as I know, we can all the fonts in the specific presentation from Presentation.Fonts Property and  we can compare thease fonts with the fonts installed on the computer. We can get the fonts installed on the computer via EnumFonts or EnumFontFamilies and you can get more detail about this topic from link below:

Enumerating the Installed Fonts

Also if you have problem with developing Windows API in VBA, I would suggest that you reopen a new thread in VBA forum.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 12:10 PM
  • Thanks for your answer. Your approach is what I am doing here.

There are two important properties of Presentation.Font is "embeddable" and "embedded".

1) "embedded" tells you that the font you used in the presentation is already embedded.

2) "embeddable" tells you that the font you used in the presentation can be embeddable. During the file saving, PowerPoint itself finds out this font online, downloads it and embed it into your presentation (you don't have to do it manually).

However, in fact, the powerpoint seems to not able to recognise the embeddable font.

More details:

My presentation contains a font "Gill Sans Light". In code, I check on this font, and it says it is embeddable. However, finally it still does not let me save the presentation, and shows me the error message as below:

As you see, it says the font "Gill Sans Light" is not a true type. If it is not a true type, why it is embeddable? 

The bug comes from PowerPoint itself?

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 12:41 PM