The VM 'MAS-BGPNAT01' didn't start in 900 seconds RRS feed

• Question

• I am stuck with below error, even after multiple rerun and reboots, please help.

VERBOSE: KVP for virtual machine 'MAS-BGPNAT01' was successfully added - 1/31/2017 12:33:49 AM
    VERBOSE: Disable Time Synchronization service for MAS-BGPNAT01 on LocalHost. - 1/31/2017 12:33:49 AM
    VERBOSE: Started the VM 'MAS-BGPNAT01'. - 1/31/2017 12:33:50 AM
    VERBOSE: Waiting for the following VMs to be remotely accessible: MAS-BGPNAT01. - 1/31/2017 12:33:50 AM
    Invoke-EceAction : Task: Invocation of interface 'Deployment' of role 'Cloud\Fabric\VirtualMachines' failed:
    Function 'Add-GuestVMs' in module 'Roles\VirtualMachine\VirtualMachine.psd1' raised an exception:
    The VM 'MAS-BGPNAT01' didn't start in 900 seconds.
    At C:\CloudDeployment\Roles\VirtualMachine\VirtualMachine.psm1:1703.
    +         Trace-Error "The VM '$vmName' didn't start in $TimeoutInSeconds seconds."
    at Trace-Error, C:\CloudDeployment\Common\Tracer.psm1: line 52
    at Wait-VMPSConnection, C:\CloudDeployment\Roles\VirtualMachine\VirtualMachine.psm1: line 1703
    at Add-GuestVMs, C:\CloudDeployment\Roles\VirtualMachine\VirtualMachine.psm1: line 265
    at <ScriptBlock>, <No file>: line 18 - 1/31/2017 12:48:52 AM
    At C:\CloudDeployment\Configuration\InstallAzureStackPOC.ps1:652 char:1
    + Invoke-EceAction -RolePath Cloud -ActionType Deployment @startHash -V ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (The VM 'MAS-BGP...conds seconds.":String) [Invoke-EceAction], Excepti
       on
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : The VM 'MAS-BGPNAT01' didn't start in 900 seconds.
    At C:\CloudDeployment\Roles\VirtualMachine\VirtualMachine.psm1:1703.
        +         Trace-Error "The VM '$vmName' didn't start in $TimeoutInSeconds seconds.",CloudEngine.Cmdlets.InvokeCmdl
       et

VERBOSE: Step: Status of step '(NET) Deploy BGP VM' is 'Error'. - 1/31/2017 12:48:52 AM
    Invoke-EceAction : Action: Invocation of step 0.20 failed. Stopping invocation of action plan. - 1/31/2017 12:48:52 AM
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Invoke-EceAction], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Unspecified error,CloudEngine.Cmdlets.InvokeCmdlet

VERBOSE: Action: Status of 'Deployment-Phase0-DeployBareMetalAndBGPAndNAT' is 'Error'. - 1/31/2017 12:48:52 AM
    COMPLETE: Task Cloud - Deployment-Phase0-DeployBareMetalAndBGPAndNAT
    VERBOSE: Task: Status of action 'Deployment-Phase0-DeployBareMetalAndBGPAndNAT' of role 'Cloud' is 'Error'. - 1/31/2017
     12:48:52 AM
    VERBOSE: Step: Status of step 'Phase 0 - Configure physical machine and external networking' is 'Error'. - 1/31/2017
    12:48:52 AM
    Invoke-EceAction : Action: Invocation of step 0 failed. Stopping invocation of action plan. - 1/31/2017 12:48:52 AM
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Invoke-EceAction], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Unspecified error,CloudEngine.Cmdlets.InvokeCmdlet

Monday, January 30, 2017 6:01 AM

Answers

• Hello Peter,

NOTE: Public IP's are not required by Azure Stack. 2 private NAT IP addresses assigned via DHCP or statically are all that is required. All management VMs access the internet via MAS-BGPNAT01. It works as a router and does NAT for the VMs on the Management VNET.

Azure Stack requires access to the Internet, either directly or through a transparent proxy. Azure Stack does not support the configuration of a web proxy to enable Internet access.

Both the host IP and the new IP assigned to the MAS-BGPNAT01 (by DHCP or static IP) must be able to access Internet. Ports 80 and 443 are used under the graph.windows.net and login.windows.net domains.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-stack/azure-stack-deploy#network

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:00 AM

All replies

• Open up Failover Cluster manager and try to start the 'virtual machine' MAS-BGPNAT01' and rerun. Please report the error if you got one.

An additional step would be to delete the Role an thus the VM from cluster manager and rerun the setup. It should re-create the VM again. If that doesnt work then try delete it again and this time remove the 'C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\SHARES\SU1_INFRASTRUCTURE_1\MAS-BGPNAT01 directory. Now the vhdx will be recreated and reprovisioned with DSC.

Cheers,

Ruud
    Twitter:    Blog: AzureStack.Blog  LinkedIn:    
    Note: Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, January 30, 2017 1:50 PM
  • Hi Ruud,

Using Hyper-V Manager, I am able to see MAS-BGPNAT01 is running and was also able to login,

I noticed that there is only one network adapter Ethernet 6 with IP(168.254.54.253), whereas during Installation I did provide static IP using NatIPv4Address as 10.10.0.38 along with other NatIP parameters.

Why is that I don't see Ethernet #2 with static IP,

Please advice the next step.

Thanks & Regards

Monday, January 30, 2017 3:05 PM
  • Hi Peter, since this is not a known reported deployment bug I suggest to rerun the installation again and if that fails execute the mentioned steps above or redeploy from scratch. Unless someone from the active Microsoft moderators here has a better suggestion.

The VM is not ready yet beceause the installation script errored out. Also the VM will get additional configuration throughout the installation process and is only finished when the deployment itself is finished. 

Cheers,

Ruud
    Twitter:    Blog: AzureStack.Blog  LinkedIn:    
    Note: Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, January 30, 2017 6:12 PM
  • Hello,

Please make sure are using the November refresh version of TP2 and run the following from the PowerShell session where you noticed the failure:

cd C:\CloudDeployment\Configuration

.\InstallAzureStackPOC.ps1 -rerun

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-stack/azure-stack-troubleshooting

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Monday, January 30, 2017 7:31 PM
  • Hi Gary,

How to make sure I am using November refresh version of TP2, I have downloaded using AzureStackDownloader a couple of days back, so I believe it must be the latest.

Regards

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:35 AM
  • Hi Peter,

If you downloaded a few days ago it's the Nov TP2 refresh. Also in  C:\CloudDeployment\Configuration\Version 

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:09 AM
  • Thanks everyone, I have bypassed the error by performing a clean installation again.

Though I am stuck now at step 60.61 which I believe is due to the internet connection requirement of being direct or thru Transparent Proxy, currently in the host, I have to manually update my internet options setting with the proxy IP and also need to add route for internet.

I was wondering, cant this approach be also taken, for MAS-BGPNAT01 to access internet, and do a re-run, as these are the only two machines (host and MAS-BGPNAT01) which need internet access.

Thanks & Regards

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:17 AM
  • Hello Peter,

NOTE: Public IP's are not required by Azure Stack. 2 private NAT IP addresses assigned via DHCP or statically are all that is required. All management VMs access the internet via MAS-BGPNAT01. It works as a router and does NAT for the VMs on the Management VNET.

Azure Stack requires access to the Internet, either directly or through a transparent proxy. Azure Stack does not support the configuration of a web proxy to enable Internet access.

Both the host IP and the new IP assigned to the MAS-BGPNAT01 (by DHCP or static IP) must be able to access Internet. Ports 80 and 443 are used under the graph.windows.net and login.windows.net domains.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-stack/azure-stack-deploy#network

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:00 AM
  • Azure Stack TP3 has been released on March 1, 2017.

If you are experiencing any issues with the TP2 release, please download and redeploy using the latest Azure Stack POC deployment package

Please see the updated deployment documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-stack/azure-stack-run-powershell-script

And updated Azure Stack Docs:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-stack/

If you experience any issues with TP3 release, feel free to contact us.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/hybrid-application-innovation-with-azure-and-azure-stack/

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:11 PM