What is "headless build" in Business and Enterprise edition? RRS feed

• Question

• User3472 posted

What does it do? Thanks!

Monday, February 25, 2013 3:35 AM

Answers

• User48 posted

A "headless build" is the ability to build a project/solution outside of the IDE, e.g. from the command line or from within a continuous integration system.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 4:00 AM

All replies

• User48 posted

A "headless build" is the ability to build a project/solution outside of the IDE, e.g. from the command line or from within a continuous integration system.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 4:00 AM
  • User730 posted

Where can I get more info on how to do headless builds on mac for android and ios and on windows for android?

Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:26 PM
  • User48 posted

Where can I get more info on how to do headless builds on mac for android and ios and on windows for android?

Xamarin.Android uses xbuild to build on OS X and MSBuild on Windows, so you can use MSBuild targets within your headless build system:

$ xbuild /t:SignAndroidPackage /p:Configuration=Release Project.csproj

Xamarin.iOS uses MSBuild on Windows, but iirc uses /Applications/Xamarin Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/mdtool to build on OS X.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:36 AM
  • User5507 posted

Is it the case that mdtool no longer works with the Indie license? It seems to now simply fail to perform my builds without reporting any error message:

% mdtool build '-c:Debug|iPhoneSimulator' ios/dictionopolis.sln   
    MonoDevelop Build Tool
    Loading solution: /Users/mdb/projects/ooo/dictionopolis/ios/dictionopolis.sln
       Loading solution: /Users/mdb/projects/ooo/dictionopolis/ios/dictionopolis.sln
          Loading projects ..
    Building Solution: dictionopolis (Debug|iPhoneSimulator)
       Building: dictionopolis (Debug|iPhoneSimulator)
    % 

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:37 PM
  • User48 posted

Is it the case that mdtool no longer works with the Indie license

This is correct. As per the product comparison, "headless builds" are a Business feature, and thus require a Business or higher license.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:23 PM
  • User28939 posted

If I want to run the build commands on a continuous integration server (such as Jenkins), do I need to purchase a separate license for that?

Friday, November 22, 2013 7:07 PM
  • User33145 posted

Any response from the question about needing a separate license/using a license slot for Jenkins build machine?

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 6:10 AM
  • User4554 posted

Bump. Nobody knows the answer regarding seperate licence for build server??

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:43 AM
  • User31231 posted

I'd also add, for those interested in more information on Continuous Integration we have an excellent set of documents and guides available:

http://docs.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/ci/introtoci/

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:17 PM
  • User21040 posted

@ tskulbru as each Xamarin licenses can license up to 4 machines, can you not spare one for build server? This is the way I'm trying to do it. No other officially supported way as far as I can see.

Friday, July 4, 2014 8:37 AM
  • User29879 posted

You don't need an extra license for the build server. Just contact Xamarin about this. There's a build server license agreement that takes care of this.

Sunday, March 1, 2015 1:42 PM