The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Multi-Factor Authentication!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Unable to sign in to Azure Portals with MFA activated and coming from a whitelisted IP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When a user with Azure MFA enabled signs in to any Azure Portal form a whitelisted location, the process fails with an error message.

When signing in with an Federated Account we get this error message

• stsError: invalid_request
    • stsErrorDescription: AADSTS50074 - Strong Authentication is required

When signing in with an Windows Azure Active Directory account we only gets an Unexpected Error message.

Other services like the Office 365 portal works without any issues.

I have tired to replicate the issue with another tenant, without success in doing so.

Have anyone experienced this issue?

/Anders Eide

Monday, October 20, 2014 8:56 AM

All replies

• I am getting the same error after I enabled Active Directory Premium through Azure. Other users are not experiencing this, however I changed several settings for the one user.
    Monday, October 20, 2014 7:37 PM
  • Hi Randy,

Thank you for your reply. We also have AADP, but I know this worked at least 6 days after we first activated AADP and Whitelisting.

• September 30: Enabled AADP
    • October 1: Assigned license to myself, and configured IP whiltelisting. Did a lot of testing.
    • October 2: Assigned license to the rest of our test team
    • October 6: Last day I used the Azure Portal before two days in another project (only accessing the portal remotely)
    • October 9: Detecting the issue when signing in to Azure Portal in the morning from my office

Only change in know happened between October 6. and October 9. is that a new domain was added to the list for federated domains on October 6 shortly before noon. I where using the service several hours after that change.

/Anders Eide

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:52 AM