none
attachments over AS2 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to send and receive attachments along with the AS2 payload. Has any one did similar thing? It was mentioned in documetation that BizTalk supports this capability, but there is no help on how we can acjieve that. Am I missing any documentation regarding this?
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:25 AM

All replies

• This is mentioned as one of the characteristics of the BizTalk AS2 Drummond certification. So probably what it means on a technical level is that the payload on an AS2 message can be multiple separated files. This may be simply a batch of EDI messages. I think if you needed to send multiple messages that were not EDI you would need to use some custom technique - maybe a custom pipeline component or custom adapter.

I could not find any examples of how to do this out of the box either. It seems like there would be a property on the ports like if you always wanted to add a file, but I could not find one. I will email someone at Microsoft about this to follow up.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:26 PM
  • I sent an email to someone at Microsoft about this. Sorry for the delay. I will reply back if I hear anything.

Thanks,
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Hi Yallamanda,
    For using Multiple Attachments in As2.

A Few things need to be done for sending a Multiple Attachment As2 Message.
    1. Creating a Custom pipeline component first which can add Parts to your BizTalk message from files or a database.
    2. You have to add your attachments as Parts in the pipeline component and then pass it through As2 Send Encoder to get a Multiple Attachment Message.
    [Your pipeline should contain the Custom Component to add the Parts to the BizTalk Message and then the AS2 Encoder]

To Receive a Multiple Attachment message,
    As2 Receive pipeline will automatically split the received AS2 Message into body and Parts (Attachments). Further processing can be done on the Parts via custom pipeline component or an orchestration.

For Creating the Custom Pipeline Component please look up:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/brajens/archive/2007/01/28/how-to-develop-biztalk-custom-pipeline-components-part3.aspx

Will look into missing documentation issue for this feature and get back to you on this thread.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:31 AM
  • Hi Chibionos,

Thanks for the reply.

thanks
    Yallamanda Rao
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:42 AM
  • I think this is basically handled as different parts of the overall steam as MIME parts. This blog post explains some of these details: Basically it is handled through MIME headers: http://blogs.msdn.com/biztalkb2b/archive/2009/08/05/as2-filename-preservation.aspx.

Thanks,
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:50 AM
  • Hi,

I am trying to understand the business scenario where you need to use the multiple attachment feature. Is it for attachments with HIPAA documents or for some other domain?

Thanks!

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 12:19 PM
  • AS2 does not support attachments 

Documentation

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:08 AM
  • An 8 year old thread? Please

EDIT: Referenced article (Attachments for AS2 messages are not supported in send or receive) is related to Azure BizTalk Services (MABS) which is deprecated

BizTalk:

AS2 supports MIME and MIME supports multiple attachments

The basic structure of an AS2 message consists of MIME format inside an HTTP message with additional AS2-specific headers. The nature of the message beneath the HTTP, AS2, and MIME headers depends upon the type of message

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/biztalk/core/as2-messages

/Peter

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:34 AM