Azure backup for app service fails with 'login failed for uer' RRS feed

• Question

• I have a sql azure web app with a connected database.  When I try to automate a daily backup of my web app including the database I get the following error:

login failed for user ******

The asp.net web app is connecting and getting data from the database without error.  This error only happens during the web app backup process.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED:

1. I have checked the connection string in both the web app **PROPERTIES** and the **DATA CONNECTIONS** blades.

The connection strings are the same in both blades and look like:

Server=tcp:****.database.windows.net,1433;Database=****;User ID=****;Password=****;Encrypt=True;TrustServerCertificate=False;Connection Timeout=30;

I have also tried this one:

Server=tcp:****.database.windows.net,1433;Database=****;	User ID=****;Password=****;Trusted_Connection=False;Encrypt=True;Connection Timeout=30;

2. The firewall setting for the database has Allow Access to Azure services set to true.

3. If I open SSMS and use the server, password, and user from my connection string I can connect without any issue.

4. I have deleted and re created the data connections and connection strings

Also, when I got to the Blade for the database in question and click on the activity log, I get no entries and don't see any connection errors  

Can someone help me figure out why my azure web app cannot backup the database during its backup operation

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:44 PM

Answers

•  

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft forums. We are pleased to answer your query.

Similar issue has been discussed in this SO thread: http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/141239/login-failed-for-user-on-sql-azure-from-azure-hosted-web-application

I hope that the reply will assist you in getting your query addressed. In case you require further assistance, please do reply to the thread as we are always available to your queries.

Regards,
    Bhanu Prakash

Disclaimer:
    This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

If a post answers your question, please click Mark as Answer on that post and Vote as Helpful.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 4:26 PM

All replies

•  

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft forums. We are pleased to answer your query.

Similar issue has been discussed in this SO thread: http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/141239/login-failed-for-user-on-sql-azure-from-azure-hosted-web-application

I hope that the reply will assist you in getting your query addressed. In case you require further assistance, please do reply to the thread as we are always available to your queries.

Regards,
    Bhanu Prakash

Disclaimer:
    This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

If a post answers your question, please click Mark as Answer on that post and Vote as Helpful.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 4:26 PM
  • Thanks 

I already have been through that post it does not help as I do not deploy my app like that.

I have been through multiple support channels and every time the microsoft support team has just googled my problem and returned the top two stack overflow results.  That is not an answer.  I understand that you get lots of questions but this is not my issue and I have been through every stack overflow post there is about this issue.

to recap: I tried to set up a basic backup according to your documentation and it does not work.  I have another web app in the same app service and same sql azure server that works fine.  I have used the same connection string for both with only the database name changing and it works for one and not the other.   

I need someone to figure out why I can not perform a backup on my app.  There is nothing more I can do on my end and I have tried every possible combination of connection strings there are.

Does this support channel even have the ability to look at my account?

Jordan King

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 4:19 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for reverting.

Your issue needs detail investigation. Request you to create a support ticket along with all subscription details here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/support/options/

For reference, you can check “How to create a support ticket”.

Regards,
    Bhanu Prakash

• Proposed as answer by Prakash Bhanu Tuesday, January 24, 2017 12:13 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 5:03 PM