none
Word 2016 Enter Key Does Not Work RRS feed

• Question

• Some time ago I developed an operational business document based on a template comprised of multiple sections some of which are protected forms and the rest as standard unprotected document.  This document/template has continued to work through various updates of Word up to and including Word 2013.

Unfortunately with Word 2016 (on Windows 7 and Windows 10 platforms) this document/template becomes unusable because the Enter (Return) Key does not work in the unprotected sections of the document (i.e. it does not produce an end-of-paragraph).  Interestingly the Shift+Enter Key combination does work as expected (i.e. does produce an end-of-line).

I have scoured the googlesphere to see if this problem has been reported, or better yet fixed, but I guess Office 2016 is still fairly new to the marketplace.

I am hoping that this question will make its way to the Microsoft Office 2016 people because unless and until I find a way around this problem we shan't be able our Users' PCs and software.

All contributions on this subject will be welcome.

Paul J 

Friday, March 10, 2017 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Paul,

Do you create a template with VBA code or do you create a document-level customization? Could you reproduce the issue in other document? Do you try to create the template using Office 2016 and would the issue happen?

I suggest you comment out all code behind to check if the issue still exists.

If it is possible, I suggest you share a sample document here. Or you could share us detail steps to reproduce your issue.

Regards,

Celeste  

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 5:17 AM
  • Hi Celeste,

Thank you for your response.

Operationally we have a Word Macro-enabled Template that generates the documents we need.  Recreating this template in Word 2016 has not resolved the problem.

Furthermore this problem occurs on a simple two-section Word 2016 document.  I have created such a document to illustrate this but I cannot see how to upload it to you*.

If I open this test document in Word 2016 I am unable to use the Enter key in the unprotected free-text section - but if I open this document with Word 2013 or Word 2007 I can.

*Please let me know how I can share this document with you.

Rgds,  Paul J 

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:07 AM
  • Hello,

You could share file into OneDrive and paste link here, please visit  Share OneDrive files and folders.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:09 AM
  • Hi again Celeste,

I uploaded the test document to OneDrive (a first for me) - it is here: Word 2016 Test Doc .

Then I downloaded it again to my Windows 7 + Office 2016 platform - and it behaved properly!!!

Whilst trying to understand how this could possibly be I unlocked the document and then RE-LOCKED the document and from that point the Enter Key failed to work in the unprotected section.

I look forward to finding out how you get on.

Rgds, Paul J

Monday, March 13, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Hello,

I failed to reproduce your issue, the file works fine for me with Version 1609 7639.2118 and Version 1703 7967.2013. I could edit the unprotected part. Could you edit the unprotected section? Do other keys work like inputting some text?

Is the issue still reproducible in one of your machines after you disable all add-ins in the Word application? Please disable all add-ins when testing. If it is reproducible, i suggest compare the Office version to check if the issue is related to specific version of Office application.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:04 AM
  • Hello again Celeste,

Yes the problem still persists:  If I download the document from the OneDrive to the Windows 7 + Office 2016 platform, unlock it then re-lock it, then select a line in the lower, unprotected section, Word 2016 will not allow me to use the Enter (Return) key.

I am not aware of any other keys being affected by this phenomenon.

There are no add-ins in use.

The versions of Word is:

The Update status for Office 2016 is:

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:36 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry that we don't have the same version to test if the issue could be reproduced. According to our different test results, I think the issue might cause from Office product. I suggest you manually create the whole document instead of using your template.

Since the issue is not related to Office object model, for issues about Office products, I suggest you post on Word IT Pro Discussions or https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:03 AM
  • Hi Celeste,

The test document I produced was not based on a template (except Normal) - I produced it manually in Word 2016.

I shall try the links you gave me (thank you).  But how might I "report" this issue formally to Microsoft?

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:19 AM
  • Hello,

You could submit a feedback on UserVoice site: https://word.uservoice.com/

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:29 AM