DataGridView CheckBox Column (Allow only 1 selection) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a bound DGV with 1 'static' checkbox column in which I have added through the designer. I come up with this code to allow for only 1 row to be checked.

Private Sub EmpGrid_CellContentClick(sender As Object, e As DataGridViewCellEventArgs) Handles EmpGrid.CellContentClick
            Dim RowIndex As Integer = EmpGrid.CurrentRow.Index
            For Each row As DataGridViewRow In EmpGrid.Rows
                If Not row.Index = RowIndex Then
                    row.Cells("SelCol").Value = False
                End If
            Next
        End Sub

When clicking on a chkbox for the first time it hangs for a few seconds, but after a box has already been checked, and after the short hang, it works as expected and no more hanging. 

Any Ideas?

Live as if you were going to die today, learn as if you were going to live forever.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:40 PM

Answers

• There's no need to loop through every row.  Set a module level variable to the current row index and initialise it at -1.  Then you can clear the currently checked row without looping.

Dim CheckedRowIndex As Integer = -1
       Private Sub EmpGrid_CellContentClick(sender As Object, e As DataGridViewCellEventArgs) Handles EmpGrid.CellContentClick
          If CheckedRowIndex > -1 Then
             EmpGrid("SelCol", CheckedRowIndex).Value = False
          End If
          CheckedRowIndex = e.RowIndex
       End Sub

• Marked as answer by Gtripodi Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:07 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:03 PM
  • Checking if the value is true before changing it to false has eliminated the short delay.

If row.Cells("selcol").Value = True Then row.Cells("SelCol").Value = False
                End If

Live as if you were going to die today, learn as if you were going to live forever.

• Marked as answer by Gtripodi Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:02 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:02 PM

All replies

• Checking if the value is true before changing it to false has eliminated the short delay.

End If

• Marked as answer by Gtripodi Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:02 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:02 PM
  • There's no need to loop through every row.  Set a module level variable to the current row index and initialise it at -1.  Then you can clear the currently checked row without looping.

Dim CheckedRowIndex As Integer = -1
          If CheckedRowIndex > -1 Then
             EmpGrid("SelCol", CheckedRowIndex).Value = False
          End If
          CheckedRowIndex = e.RowIndex
       End Sub

• Marked as answer by Gtripodi Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:07 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:03 PM
  • I see what you mean, your code is much more efficient.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:08 PM

End If

For the record. I am not real sure why, but I was getting varied results using this, until I converted the cell value to boolean.

If Convert.ToBoolean(row.Cells("selcol").Value) = True Then row.Cells("SelCol").Value = False
    Think I will adopt Daves method...

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:26 PM