Windows failed to restart after auto update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have a dual boot machine with Windows 8.1 & Windows XP. The Windows 8.1 OS was itself an upgrade of Windows 8.0 . Everything was working well till last week.

Last weekend 14th Feb, Windows 8.1 wanted to install some updates while shutting down. It installed about 14 updates and shut down promising to restart soon. After restarting, Windows 8.1 never booted. I waited for around 20 minutes and them manually restarted the machine. This time I selected Windows  XP. Windows XP started, but in the process fixed something on the file structure by running chkdisk, while starting.

Later a friend told me that he'd similar issues of his computer not starting after the patch for a long time. But ultimately it did after about half an hour. I tried to boot Windows 8.1 again, leaving it no for an hour. But it was a vain effort.

I tried to repair my machine by booting with the Windows 8.0 setup disk. But this also failed saying some partitions are locked.

Can you please tell me what are the options available to me to revive my machine.

• Moved by Marvin_Guo Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:29 AM From Windows desktop forum
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:55 AM