none
BizTalk Server 2013 R2 RRS feed

Answers

• Even though a direct upgrade is possible, I would always start on a fresh server (R2 supports newer OS, SQL and Visual Studio). 

So after a fresh new installation/configuration of R2, I would export all Applications as bindings on the old environment, recompile all my code in Visual Studio 2013 (the only supported VS for R2). Deploy the newly compiled DLL's on my new environment with the same Application structure as before, and then import the bindings (remember that passwords are not stored in binding files and will need to be entered again).

Morten la Cour

Sunday, June 8, 2014 10:23 AM
  • Hi Mohammad,

I appreciate you’re researching for the best options for upgrading BizTalk 2013 to 2013 R2. But getting suggestions from a public forum for unreleased product is always not advisable.

2013 R2 is still in RTM not even MVP like us got hold of this version yet. Wait for few more days; you will get more lights on this topic. Who knows, Microsoft could even give single-click magic migration tool for its newer version (No magic tool has been promised by Microsoft but what if they come up with one and surprise the community. As of now all information about 2013 R2 is only known to Microsoft other than few MSDN documents)

But we can suggest some options based on the previous track record of Microsoft based on their release life cycle.

Generally when Microsoft releases any R2 version to its major version, then most of the times it implies to platform alignment and updates to exiting features rather any major changes to the product. So discuss with other platform team in your company like Windows team, SQL team and see what version which is compactable with 2013 R2 they are going to supply to your environment.

Open the existing BizTalk solution in Visual Studio 2013; rebuild it to output .NET 4.5.1 compactable assemblies which you can deploy. Latest Visual Studios has always has the wizard to migrate project from older .NET framework to new versions.

If your project uses JASON, we’re expecting JASON schema wizard and Jason.net based pipeline component out-of box. So you don’t need to custom JASON components. So you will have more native support if you’re using JASON. So if you have custom components for JASON, remove them you from your projects and try to use the out-of-box components.

You can expect an upgrade document from Microsoft (as they have done it in the past) which help to plan your migration.

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

Monday, June 9, 2014 10:15 AM

All replies

• Even though a direct upgrade is possible, I would always start on a fresh server (R2 supports newer OS, SQL and Visual Studio). 

So after a fresh new installation/configuration of R2, I would export all Applications as bindings on the old environment, recompile all my code in Visual Studio 2013 (the only supported VS for R2). Deploy the newly compiled DLL's on my new environment with the same Application structure as before, and then import the bindings (remember that passwords are not stored in binding files and will need to be entered again).

Morten la Cour

Sunday, June 8, 2014 10:23 AM
  • Thanks Morten la Cour

Mohammed Younis

Sunday, June 8, 2014 10:40 AM
  • What really begs the question is, have you got your hands on 2013 R2 yet?  I cannot see it in the MSDN downloads yet.

If this is helpful or answers your question - please mark accordingly.
    Because I get points for it which gives my life purpose (also, it helps other people find answers quickly)

Monday, June 9, 2014 9:01 AM
  • not yet, but since it is announced so I'm researching for the future.

Mohammed Younis

Monday, June 9, 2014 9:11 AM
  • Hi Mohammad,

I appreciate you’re researching for the best options for upgrading BizTalk 2013 to 2013 R2. But getting suggestions from a public forum for unreleased product is always not advisable.

2013 R2 is still in RTM not even MVP like us got hold of this version yet. Wait for few more days; you will get more lights on this topic. Who knows, Microsoft could even give single-click magic migration tool for its newer version (No magic tool has been promised by Microsoft but what if they come up with one and surprise the community. As of now all information about 2013 R2 is only known to Microsoft other than few MSDN documents)

But we can suggest some options based on the previous track record of Microsoft based on their release life cycle.

Generally when Microsoft releases any R2 version to its major version, then most of the times it implies to platform alignment and updates to exiting features rather any major changes to the product. So discuss with other platform team in your company like Windows team, SQL team and see what version which is compactable with 2013 R2 they are going to supply to your environment.

Open the existing BizTalk solution in Visual Studio 2013; rebuild it to output .NET 4.5.1 compactable assemblies which you can deploy. Latest Visual Studios has always has the wizard to migrate project from older .NET framework to new versions.

If your project uses JASON, we’re expecting JASON schema wizard and Jason.net based pipeline component out-of box. So you don’t need to custom JASON components. So you will have more native support if you’re using JASON. So if you have custom components for JASON, remove them you from your projects and try to use the out-of-box components.

You can expect an upgrade document from Microsoft (as they have done it in the past) which help to plan your migration.

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

Monday, June 9, 2014 10:15 AM
  • thanks  M.R.AshwinPrabhu

appreciate your advise. 

Mohammed Younis

Monday, June 9, 2014 10:19 AM
  • Hi

Have you got any challenges, findings in the migration of BizTalk solution from older versions of BizTalk?

Please share

Regards,

Manish

Monday, September 8, 2014 11:16 AM
  • Hello Manish

appreciate your concern, it is not planned yet to migrate to 2013 R2, a decision made to keep up with 2013 till we finished the running project. 

Mohammed Younis

Monday, September 8, 2014 3:53 PM