none
PowerPoint built-in document properties - localized? RRS feed

• Question

• Let's say you are running a German version of PowerPoint and Windows and from within a PowerPoint Add-in  extracts all the presentations built-in document properties of the currently open presentation to a text/xml file like [key]::[value] for each property. 

Then when I want to process this text/xml file and extract a specific property like "Number of Slides", will this property be in German (since we are running a German version) or will this be in English?

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say :)

code example:

Microsoft.Office.Core.DocumentProperties props = presentation.BuiltInDocumentProperties as Microsoft.Office.Core.DocumentProperties;

if (props != null) {
        foreach (Microsoft.Office.Core.DocumentProperty property in props) {
         try {
          properties.Add(property.Name, property.Value == null ? string.Empty : property.Value.ToString());
         }
         catch (System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException) {
          continue;
         }
         catch (Exception exception) {
          continue;
         }
        }
       }

Best regards

Mikael

Friday, August 19, 2011 12:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Mikael

<<will this property be in German (since we are running a German version) or will this be in English?>>

I assume you're talking about the BuiltinDocumentProperty Name. That will be in English, regardless of the language version in the UI.

The CustomDocumentProperty (if any) will be exactly the Name you give it.

The Value of both types will be the exact text that was entered.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Ecodot Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:15 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Mikael

Well, the best thing is for you to just do it - watch what comes out when you run your code...

Friday, August 19, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Cindy but I realize that my question was a bit unclear. I forgot to add the fact that we are running PowerPoint and Windows in English and we don't have access to a German version or any other language version for that matter.

And that's why i posted the question on this forum.

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:39 AM
  • Hi Mikael

<<will this property be in German (since we are running a German version) or will this be in English?>>

I assume you're talking about the BuiltinDocumentProperty Name. That will be in English, regardless of the language version in the UI.

The CustomDocumentProperty (if any) will be exactly the Name you give it.

The Value of both types will be the exact text that was entered.

• Marked as answer by Ecodot Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:15 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:27 PM