App run by VS works fine, app inserted inside Excel don't RRS feed

• Question

• I developed alpha version of some app (content app for Excel), it creates charts. It references to few external javascript libraries (for example to d3.js library). Currently data is kept into csv files (in the future it will be loaded from excel).

When I run it through Visual Studio it works, but when I publish it (on shared catalog/network drive), open Excel and insert app then it just doesn't work (so, to be precise: simple events on optionbuttons works...) - it does not create chart, and it is not showing any error.

What could be a source of problem? How to fix it?

<!DOCTYPE html> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> <head> <link href="../../Content/Office.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /> <script src="https://appsforoffice.microsoft.com/lib/1.1/hosted/office.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <!-- To enable offline debugging using a local reference to Office.js, use: --> <script src="../../Scripts/Office/MicrosoftAjax.js" type="text/javascript"></script> --> <script src="../../Scripts/Office/1.1/office.js" type="text/javascript"></script> -->--> <title>App title</title> <link href="App.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /> <script src="App.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<script src="Home.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <!--- few internal libraries--> <script src="vkbeautify.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="http://d3js.org/d3.v3.min.js" charset="utf-8" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="script.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="https://cdn.rawgit.com/eligrey/FileSaver.js/master/FileSaver.js" type="text/javascript"></script> </head>

EDIT: from what I managed to find, it is crashing probably while loading data from external csv files

document.getElementById("status").innerText = "chart type chosen";

var dataset = [];
    d3.csv(chartBuilder.FileName, function (data) {

document.getElementById("status").innerText = "data get from files";
    First comment is shown, second not.

• Edited by hulk_14 Friday, March 27, 2015 2:29 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi
    Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

Since the issue is complex, I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for your understanding

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

>> It does not create chart, and it is not showing any error

According to your current description, I’m not sure what the root cause of this issue is. I guess you was using a third party JavaScript to render the chart. Please correct me if I have any misunderstandings.

>> From what I managed to find, it is crashing probably while loading data from external csv files

>> App run by VS works fine, app inserted inside Excel don't

In your original post, you mentioned that you’ve host the app on shared catalog/network drive, does that mean you also host your web application on the Network Drive. If so, I guess it may be related to the protocol. When debugging in Visual Studio, the app was host on IIS Express, the protocol is HTTP or HTTPs. But if you host it on the Network Drive, the protocol will be File protocol.

By the way, to narrow this issue, I suggest you loading CSV file without the third party library. If it is still failing, please share us a simple demo through OneDrive so that we can also troubleshooting this issue on our side.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 10, 2015 6:50 AM