none
Task Based Asynchrony in WCF for .NET 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to generate TAP proxies from wsdl. My clients run both 4.0 and 4.5 and as I wanted the Task based API, I created a 4.5 project, added the service references and then created a .NET 4.0 project and added the generated Reference.cs's as linked files, thereby cross compiling to .40.

This all seemd to work, my test harnesses for both 4.0 and 4.5 worked happily..... htne I deployed to a Win XP and boom. I got the misleading message:

The operation "xxxxAsync" could not be loaded because it has a parameter or return type of type System.ServiceModel.Channels.Message or a type that has MessageContractAttribute and other parameters of different types. When using System.ServiceModel.Channels.Message or types with MessageContractAttribute, the method must not use any other types of parameters.

This is patently not the case. I did stumble across this: http://www.dev30.com/?p=244 which did not fiull me with optimism.

Is there a (at least semi) supported way to do this? I really want to avoid writing a massive number of Task<T>.Factory.FromAsync methods.

Thanks

Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>This all seemd to work, my test harnesses for both 4.0 and 4.5 worked happily..... htne I deployed to a Win XP and boom. I got the misleading message

If I understand the issue correctly, you mean it works on other version of Windows but not Windows XP. From my experience, .NET 4 is supported on Windows XP, and it would not depend on Windows version. I'd like to suggest you to check the Windows XP environment to see if you have the latest updates.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Ming Xu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:43 AM

All replies

• BTW - I am not interested in using await as I mainly call ToObservable on these Tasks.
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

>>This all seemd to work, my test harnesses for both 4.0 and 4.5 worked happily..... htne I deployed to a Win XP and boom. I got the misleading message

If I understand the issue correctly, you mean it works on other version of Windows but not Windows XP. From my experience, .NET 4 is supported on Windows XP, and it would not depend on Windows version. I'd like to suggest you to check the Windows XP environment to see if you have the latest updates.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Ming Xu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:43 AM
  • I try svcutil.exe with /tcv:Version35 it worked on Window XP and Windows 2003
    Monday, April 1, 2013 10:31 AM