Wi-Fi Analyzer Windows Phone 8.1/Windows 8.1 WinRT API

Question

• Hello

Does WinRT API for Windows Phone 8.1/Windows 8.1 allows developers write Wi-Fi Channels Analyzer? Is there possible to get the signal strength (RSSI) of Wi-Fi channel from wireless radio? Or maybe Windows Phone 8.1  Silverlight Framework gives this ability?

I use the InSSIDer for Home for Windows 8.1. It is very good app, it works with .NET Framework 4.0 and it's written in C#.

Friday, October 17, 2014 11:24 AM

Answers

• You can get limited information on the Wifi network the device is currently connected to. Unfortunately there currently is no API that allows you to enumerate wifi networks nearby and capture their properties.
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 9:31 AM

All replies

• Well, what APIs do you need to do this?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, October 17, 2014 1:14 PM
  • I need Windows Runtime Framework to write universal app for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. I found that Windows Phone 8.0 API doesn't gives the ability to write wi-fi network channel analyzer. 

I would like to write app like inSSIDer. This app was written in C# (it needs .NET Framework 4.0 to run). I need information from operating system about: the number of channel wi-fi network and RSSI . Then I can wrote GUI to present this information on graph that will be looks like in insider. 

Saturday, October 18, 2014 4:19 AM
  • You can get limited information on the Wifi network the device is currently connected to. Unfortunately there currently is no API that allows you to enumerate wifi networks nearby and capture their properties.
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 9:31 AM