Open site with Sharepoint Designer 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I've download Sharepoint Designer 2010 Beta but I can't seem to open a site with it.

With Sharepoint Designer 2007 it's no problem.

But with 2010 it gives the message: Microsoft Sharpoint Designer doesn't give support for editing a non-sharepoint-site.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:02 PM

Answers

• You probably want to start using Expression Web, it rocks for creating WebSites and more. SPD has moved to be a SharePoint specific development tool like the name suggests.. For more information on Expression and to download, check out the following link. http://www.microsoft.com/expression/. Expression Web works like FP and SPD on steroids I wish you could use it with SharePoint, lol...

Have fun!

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.
    • Marked as answer by Nees Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:49 AM
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:07 AM

All replies

• Are you trying to open a SharePoint 2010 Beta site?  SPD2010 is free for public download, so there's no reason to use Beta unless your sharePoint 2010 environment is Beta.  SPD2010 Beta cannot open 2007 sites, nor can it open SP2010 sites that raen't Beta.  What kind of site are you trying to open?  SP2010 also has settings for allowing SPD.  You must make sure they are enabled in your farm, in  your web app, and in your site collection.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:19 PM
  • Thnx for your reaction. I'm trying to open a map on my harddisk with SPD2010 Beta. In this map my website is stored. I thought there was only a Beta version to download. Where can I download the non-beta version? Where can I find the settings for allowing SPD?

Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:47 PM
  • It's on the Microsoft downloads site - easy to find.

You can only open SharePoint 2010 sites with SPD2010.  You cannot open non-SharePoint websites.  There is no functionality for you in SPD2010 to use with your website, so you would need to keep using SPD07.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 6:22 PM
  • I see. So I can't design websites with SPD 2010 like I use to do with SPD 2007 and Frontpage?

Saturday, June 19, 2010 6:39 PM
  • You probably want to start using Expression Web, it rocks for creating WebSites and more. SPD has moved to be a SharePoint specific development tool like the name suggests.. For more information on Expression and to download, check out the following link. http://www.microsoft.com/expression/. Expression Web works like FP and SPD on steroids I wish you could use it with SharePoint, lol...

Have fun!

-Ivan

Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:07 AM
  • I see. So I can't design websites with SPD 2010 like I use to do with SPD 2007 and Frontpage?

No.  It is no longer a FrontPage product and is strictly SharePoint Designer now.
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:08 AM

Have fun!

-Ivan 

Thnx for the info Ivan. Just what I was looking for. I wasn't aware of its existence. I've downloaded the trial version. Perfect!!

Greetings Nees

• Unmarked as answer by Nees Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:50 AM
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:48 AM
  • I'm new to SharePoint, but I've been using Expression Web for years. Can I use Expression Web to create and modify SharePoint sites?
    James Gotcher
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Hi Ron,

No worries the answer is yes and no. You will probably find it more difficult to use Expression Web with SharePoint. But, the cool part is if you use either of the design tools you will find the other one very easy to use. Expression Web is Cool for CSS in SharePoint development but you will not be able to easily modify pages directly on a live site within easily, at least the way my machines are setup this is the case. However, you will want to use Expression Blend for SilverLight Development and there are some other really cool things like designing apps for Windows Phone 7...

So the skills you have acquired will still be of important use and you never know what may be coming, maybe one day you will be able to edit SharePoint sites dierctly with Expression Web but then again it may never make the teams lifecycle, I dont know...

-Ivan

Friday, September 30, 2011 9:56 AM