Cant get metro apps to open

Question

• I just installed the developer preview on a non touch notebook, using a keyboard and mouse, the installed metro apps will not open, except for control panel and desktop view, all others do not respond when they are clicked, any advice?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:05 PM

Answers

• Are you using a netbook with resolution lower than 1024x768? if yes, apps won't start, and there won't be any error messages either (which is a bit lame).
    • Marked as answer by cap10kirk88 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:17 PM

All replies

• What are you seeing exactly?  More information would be helpful in diagnosing this problem.
    Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:08 PM
  • When in the new start screen, with the tiles of new metro apps, I can move them with the mouse, and right click them, but if I try and open them by left clicking nothing happens, the only tiles on the start screen that will open for me are the desktop view, and the metro control panel.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Are you using a netbook with resolution lower than 1024x768? if yes, apps won't start, and there won't be any error messages either (which is a bit lame).
    • Marked as answer by cap10kirk88 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Yeah, on a netbook, wanted to test it out on low specs to see how quick it is, impressed so far, but will now load it on a bigger machine! thanks.
    • Edited by cap10kirk88 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:20 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:19 PM
  • On netbooks with Intel GMAs there is a way to enable larger, compressed resolutions, so apps will work natively (albeit the screen compression will make the screen a bit jerky): http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=80812
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:32 PM
  • I guess someone forgot there are also a lot of 720P HDTV's out there too...

Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:31 AM
  • I guess someone forgot there are also a lot of 720P HDTV's out there too...

Most 720p HDTV's with VGA input run VGA at 768
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Hi. I have the same problem. I use laptop with 1440/900 and second monitor 1920/1080. When I start the metro app, there is no error msg, only black screen.

Here is my PC configuration:

NT based Windows (x64) (build 8102) 

General score: 4.9 (Processor: 4.9, Memory: 5.9, Graphics: 4.9, Gaming graphics : 5.9, Harddrive: 5.5 )

AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82 Griffin Socket S1 (638) (@65 nm) 2200 Mhz

Physical memory size: 4096 MB

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 

Screen 1: Mobile Display 1440 x 900

Screen 2: ASUS MS228 1920 x 1080

Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Hm, seems a little silly that it won't work on the common netbook resolution of 1024x600 which is almost the same ...

There's got to be a place in windows where it checks the resolution and *that* value can be changed, rather than the kludgy downscaling solution. And if this is all about tablets, how come it doesn't support lower resolutions? Kinda a glaring oversight.

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:44 AM
  • Hello everyone. I nearly have the same problem concerning those apps you can find at the metro design.

They all are working out just fine but the only thing that instantly is causing me problems is that "weather" button on the left side.... It all began when I was installing the OS onto my pundit pc. (Besides this is a bearbone one from asus) At the beginning it all was working just perfectly (even that weather information panel on full screen mode) After I had some issues with installing my Wireless lan dongle I was using this weather bug to check my temporary ethernet access...

Anyways.. after a few fail starts "were unable to get latest weather information . please check your coinnection" I was finally getting my network forking just fine. But since that time.. The weather symbol is not reacting anymore.. I can start everything else of those pined apps but that one thing is still causing me some trouble as it wont open.

I even decided to try a fix installation and after reinstalling the tribers I was checking if that helped... It still wont open.

The only thing I am reading it that "screen resolution" tipp out of almost every forum... 

Now my question .. I have found a control panel therm that controls "widgets" and "software" ..but there is none for "apps"... Isnt there any option that just makes it possibloe to reinstall or reset all of those apps ?

Friday, September 23, 2011 11:25 AM
  • There is a reg hack to let you change your resolution. Worked on my netbook. See this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/aa672b53-2fe0-4359-9b1d-833c692e3399/
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:53 AM
  • How does one do a registry hack? Can this be done from Win8 or does it need to be done from Win7? As long as I can get to the reg edit then I'm golden. Thanks
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:48 AM