none
Runs apps on specific processor groups RRS feed

• Question

• We have two processor groups and want our internal apps to use processor group1 and anything else that might be installed to use processor group2. We can easily hardcode our internal apps to use processor group1 by using start /node commands when launching the apps. Is there a way to have a default  global setting that says we want all other apps that are installed to run on processor group2? 

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 12:45 PM

Answers

• I know of no setting for this.  Are you sure you really want such an approach?  The Windows schedulers is pretty good, and most of the cases I have encountered in the past when people try to assign processors or processor groups end up producing worse results than the default.  Of course there are special cases where this is wanted, but most of those have a very controller application group, and can be handled as you propose for the internal apps.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

• Marked as answer by mp2011 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 8:23 PM
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:45 PM
  • Yes, it is possible, but it requires a driver to be written, and it is quite complicated. I would write a driver that registers a process creation callback that would use whatever criteria you have for differentiating between apps, and set the process group accordingly.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:31 PM

All replies

• I know of no setting for this.  Are you sure you really want such an approach?  The Windows schedulers is pretty good, and most of the cases I have encountered in the past when people try to assign processors or processor groups end up producing worse results than the default.  Of course there are special cases where this is wanted, but most of those have a very controller application group, and can be handled as you propose for the internal apps.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:45 PM
  • Yes, it is possible, but it requires a driver to be written, and it is quite complicated. I would write a driver that registers a process creation callback that would use whatever criteria you have for differentiating between apps, and set the process group accordingly.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:31 PM
  • thx for the replies
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 8:23 PM