Aspx to dynamic web template ? RRS feed

• Question

• After I create the aspx files, it is not giving me the option to create a dynamic web template. Is there anything I could do to change this? Thanks.
    Friday, May 3, 2013 10:01 PM

All replies

• DWTs are not really for asp.net pages.  The analog in asp.net is a Master page, not a DWT. However, I don't know what you mean by "it's not giving you the option to create a DWT" - you can create a DWT for a site even if you are using asp.net.  What exactly are you trying to do, step by step?
    Friday, May 3, 2013 10:12 PM
  • I have to make a web page for a project. I was told to create aspx files for certain parts of the website, such as contact us and FAQ, then go under format and select dynamic web template. It does not give me the option to hover over the option for DWT. There's a youtube video my professor sent us called "web site contract page creation" by the user tinamccarty1685 (it wont let me link for some reason.) I can do everything up to where she begins talking about the DWT.
    Friday, May 3, 2013 10:56 PM
  • You are not supposed to create a DWT. According to that video, you should already be working in a site based upon one of the EW "Organization" templates (Organization 4, from the looks of it). That is why Kathy asked for "step by step." How are you beginning work, step by step, before you start following the YouTube instructions?

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, May 3, 2013 11:17 PM
  • Part 5 is where I'm having trouble. 

Part 1 – Set up the local version of your web site in Expression Web

Create a new web site in Expression with the folder name “project4” using a built in organization 
    template. There are several from which to choose. This will generate several files and folders with all 
    pages based on the template master.dwt. You do not have to use all of the files created (e.g., calendar, 
    notes, picture gallery, etc.). You should have a total of eight separate pages.
    1. The home page for your business will be “default.htm”
    2. Create four more pages of content for your web-site. These should be designed with your target 
    audience in mind. Each of these pages should have an appropriate filename and title and 
    contain at least a few sentences
    a. One page must describe your products, including information for at least six products, 
    with thumbnail pictures, and product information.
    b. One page, "Links", must present six web-sites that users of your web site would find 
    interesting. Be sure that any web pages that are opened by clicking on these links open 
    in a new window.
    c. For the remaining two pages, select two from the list below. It is okay to makeup 
    fictitious information about your store, but it should look genuine.
    Special offers Location Mission Statement Return Policy
    Reviews Gift Registry Best Sellers Contest
    3. Each page should have an appropriate title. This is the title that appears in the tab of a web 
    browser. Right click on the page in the folders list, select “properties,” and type an appropriate 
    title.
    Note1. You can modify the starting template any way you want. Do this by editing the master.dwt and 
    upon saving it let it update the other pages.
    2. It is very important that you complete the template tutorial in the textbook before beginning 
    the project. Common mistakes are using the master.dwt template page incorrectly.
    3. Rename the folder and files names as needed and, again, let it update the other pages after 
    doing so
    4. All pages must be consistent in the site and must be based upon the master.dwt template file
    5. Do Not use spaces in file names. For example, a Mission Statement folder could be named 
    “Mission_Statement” or “MissionStatement” instead.
    Part 2 – Design and Development of your web site (Home page requirements)
    After reviewing other online stores on the Internet, you have decided that your future website's 
    homepage should contain the following key features on your home page:
    1. The homepage should contain an explanation of what your business is, the products you offer, 
    and the intended audience.
    2. Add an e-mail links related to your store (i.e. support, questions, owners, comments…) located 
    on the bottom of the homepage for contacting your store. The e-mail link when selected will 
    enable your customers to e-mail each owner's U of Iowa e-mail accounts. The e-mail link should 
    not only be the owner's email address, but the type of email to be sent (i.e. support, questions, 
    comments…). If you work alone, you will only need one email link.
    3. Insert at least one GIF or JPEG image related to your store or the products you offer.
    4. Copyright information for the year 2013 should be placed in a "footer" at the bottom of the 
    homepage (hint: use insert symbol).
    Part 3 – Maintaining your autonomy and control
    In order to prevent your viewers from leaving your website, links should always open in a new browser 
    window.
    Part 4 – Navigation
    By starting with a template the site navigation is already in place on each page since it is part of the 
    master.dwt. Be sure that this is maintained, such, that each page has a link to all other pages in your 
    web site. 
    Part 5 – ASPX Pages
    In order to make your website dynamic, you will need to make it interact with an Access Database, 
    computerStoreDB.mdb. Your TA will cover the steps required to enable Active Server Pages for your 
    website and set up the website to work with the database. We have created videos to help you out. In 
    order for your website to be complete, you will need to create the pages below, and you will need to 
    create links to the pages in your navigation system (modify the master.dwt).Design and Development of the Birthdays webpage
    This page will interface to the Access database which contains a table of your customers. The page must 
    be an ASPX (Active Server Page) to work so that data can be read from the database and displayed on 
    the webpage.
     You should use the Gridview control to display the records from the table.
     Select “Enable Paging.”
     The selected fields should be first name, last name, and date of birth.
     Edit the columns so that there is a space between First/Last and Name and Date of Birth. 
     For Date of Birth, set DataFormatString to {0:d} and ItemStyle HorizontalAlight to right.
     Feel free to format the grid anyway you'd like. 
    Design and Development of the FAQ webpage
    This page will interface to the Access database which contains a table of questions that customers have 
    asked through the website. The page must be an ASPX (Active Server Page) to work so that data can be 
    read from the database and displayed on the webpage.
     You should use the DetailsView control, so that the questions can be displayed more effectively. 
     Enable paging.
     Display the first name, last name, question, and response.
     Edit field HeaderText to an appropriate heading. 
    Design and Development of the Contact webpage
    This page will interface to the Access database which contains a table of questions that customers have 
    asked through the website. The page must be an ASPX (Active Server Page) to work so that data can be 
    written to the database. 
     Use the DetailsView control with the "Insert query" (set when you configure the Select
    Statement) and "begin in Insert Mode" options set.
     The inputs are ID, first name, last name, and question.
     Change the names of the fields to something appropriate.
     Set the fields and headers to left horizontal alignment.
     Set the question control style width to 350px. 
    1. Add insert link: DetailsView -> Enable Inserting
    2. Begin in Insert Mode: DetailsView -> under Tag Properties -> under Behavior -> DefaultMode -> 
    Insert
    Additional information
     Every page should be creative and contain information that pertains to the pages' topic
     Do not use spaces in the file names
     The entire project should be done in Expression Web. 
     Submit a fully completed grade sheet to the ICON dropbox for Project 4. Do NOT submit any 
    additional files to this dropbox.
     Create a directory in your root directory on INSTRUCT. Upload your project website into this 
    directory. You will need to do this to receive credit for your project.
     Late submissions will be penalized 6 points per day.
     Make sure that you complete the "Project Contribution" section in the gradesheet. The TA has 
    right to deduct points for the same.
     We also have some videos which can help you in designing the website.

Friday, May 3, 2013 11:44 PM
  • Please tell me, in that long list of instructions, exactly where you are having problems.  Section 5 has nothing about creating a DWT.  I only talks about modifying the existing DWT to create links to new pages.
    • Edited by KathyW2 Saturday, May 4, 2013 1:21 AM
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 12:27 AM
  • I AM SUCH AN IDIOT. I didn't have the box checked in site settings. Thank you guys so much for trying to help. I feel really dumb wasting your time. sorry.

:(

Saturday, May 4, 2013 12:44 AM
  • I assume you mean the box about using metadata.  Yup, you need that for DWTs.
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 1:20 AM