Does anyone sell a decent C++ IDE ?

Question

• Can anyone tell me how to use Visual C++ 2010 Express 
    to create a console app for 64-bit Windows 7 using the following source code?  

/*  HelloWorld.cpp
    */
    #include <stdio.h>
    int main(
    int argc,
    char **argv
    )
    {
      fprintf(stdout,"Hello World.\n");
      return(0);

• Moved by litdev Friday, December 14, 2012 10:00 AM (From:Small Basic)
    Friday, December 14, 2012 5:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I would suggest to ask C++ questions inside a C++ forum. I would suggest the Visual C++ Express forum at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvc/threads

The Visual C++ General forum at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/threads might also be of interest for you.

(This forum covers the Small Basic programming language only so you might not get a good support experience in here regarding C++ questions. Maybe the moderator will move your thread to the c++ express forum for a better support experience.)

At the moment I do not have such a C++ Express Edition ready to give you a walk through description. There should be a Console C++ Project available which you could use.

Inside the subject, you ask for decent c++ ides. Visual Studio Express is a great IDE and gives you a lot of options. I would recommend to use that (maybe get the newest version which is 2012).

Dev-C++ is a free IDE which might be easier to use for a beginner but if you want to evelop software on windows you should stick to Visual Studio! Dev-C++ could be found at http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried in my computer. And it works well.

I have not got your point; you can just copy the code in your win32 console project in Visual C++ 2010 Express.

What is problem you encountered?

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Elegentin Xie
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 17, 2012 10:34 AM
  • You basicly have a c program and not a c++ program.

Im just a hobbiest, but I think the usual answer to your problem is to convert the file to a c file.  You just rename the file from HelloWorld.cpp to HelloWorld.c.  That tells the compiler to use c files instead of c++ files.  One of the more senior guys can explain it all much better.  Or maybe a forum search on compiling c programs should get you some answers as to why vs compiler does this.

As for a different compiler:

1. Quincy 2002 is free, very easy to use, great for beginners, maybe a little outdated, but is 32bit compiler.
    2. Dev-C++ has resuffaced under new developer(s) and is free, easy to use, has optional 32/64bit compiler.
    3. Code-Blocks is a little more advanced and can be modularized to expand functionality (not personally used).
    4. NetBeans and MonoDevelop have modules to expand use for C/C++ as well as others (not personally used).

Im sure there are others I may have tried but not used long enough to remember them, I apologize to their respected makers.  Of course there are others, try a search.

Good luck.

David

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:42 AM
  • You basicly have a c program and not a c++ program.

Im just a hobbiest, but I think the usual answer to your problem is to convert the file to a c file.  You just rename the file from HelloWorld.cpp to HelloWorld.c. 

No, this is completely misleading. The code is a perfectly valid C++ program.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

I have marked these replies as answers.
    If you disagree, please unmark them, and post your doubt.

Regards,

Elegentin Xie
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:06 AM