none
Feature Request(?): Body Tracking API with rotated camera (90 degrees) RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to rotate the Kinect 2 camera 90 degrees (into "portrait" orientation instead of "landscape").  

It seems the body (skeletal + body index mask) tracking fails when you do this; I would like to supply the API with an orientation angle (specified as radians around the Z axis), to transform the incoming depth frame before it is processed by the body tracking algorithms.

Something like:

HRESULT hr = kinect_sensor->SetPhysicalOrientation( PI );

if(SUCCEEDED(hr))
       printf( "The Microsoft Kinect 2 SDK team is the best!");

• Edited by MikeS27 Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:41 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 9:57 PM

All replies

• Given the depth sensor is almost a square aspect ratio and it much larger field of view, there wasn't a benefit in terms of body tracking to enable that functionality. The team is aware of the request to enable that but is not a feature available in the current SDK.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:03 PM
  • No benefit in terms of body tracking? Doesn't make sense. Body tracking does NOT work when the kinect is sideways. Having it work would be a significative benefit!

It wouldn't work better than in paysage mode, but it'd work. My team and I also would love this feature. The problem is we need a portrait photo. We're stuck cropping a perfectly good resolution into a crappy one!

We've considered opening it up and rotating the camera 90 degrees, but from what we can see the form factor wouldn't let us.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:50 PM