Future of Silverlight RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and these questions may have been answered but I could not find them.

I have a Lightswitch 2011 Silverlight application. It runs in-browser. From what I read, Silverlight will only be available in IE for PC's by the end of the year.

What options do I have for my clients to use beyond this year for Mac's? How long will IE be supporting Silverlight? If IE does not support it can I still use my application out of the browser?

Thank You,

Dave

Thursday, September 29, 2016 10:34 PM

Answers

• Microsoft have no plans to further invest in Silverlight and it is effectively deprecated. They will however continue to support it to 2021 according to the following page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?C2=12905&wa=wsignin1.0. That's basically all official information there is regarding this as far I know.

>>Will IE 11 be around until 2021 or will they discontinue it on that browser too?

Since the official support is valid until 2021 I would assume that there will be at least one IE browser that will support Silverlight until then. Note that the new Edge browser doesn't support Silverlight though. It is IE only.

>>Is there a way of running old browsers for the Mac?

This is a question you will have to ask Apple. But I would not count on getting a Silverlight work in newer web browsers for Mac.

When it comes to greenfield web development, the overall strategy of the entire industry is to move away from browser add-ins such as Silverlight and Flash and focus on HTML5. You should probably do the same. Sooner or later you will probably have to migrate your Silverlight applications anyway.

>>I guess my question is how do I make sure that my SL application will indeed run until 2021?

Use a version of IE that supports Silverlight.

>>What about out-of-browser? Will that work after 2021?

At least there won't be any official support for it so by the time the official support ends in 2021, you should have migrated all your Silverlight applications. That's the advice I would give you.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

• Marked as answer by Dave Vorgang Monday, October 3, 2016 9:17 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave Vorgang,

According to the lifecycle for Silverlight, it will be supported until 10/12/2021.

And it will be supported by IE until the 2010 on some version of Windows. Different version Windows has different end date. Please refer to:

https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/locale/en-us/html/installation-win-SL5.html

But for other operating system that could not use IE, I'm afraid the Silverlight application could run based on the end date in above link.

Silverlight Out of the browser application could run on Mac but it need to be installed through browser. So if you have installed this application through browser before the end date, you could continue use it. But if you don't installed before or you want to reinstall it after the end date, I'm afraid that you could not use in on Mac.

As far as I know, HTML 5 is a good choice that replace the Silverlight application and there are many developers have start convert their Silverlight application to HTM5 before the lifecycle end.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 30, 2016 8:22 AM
  • I am not sure what you mean by "And it will be supported by IE until the 2010 on some version of Windows.". Did you mean 2021?

Also, can users install older versions of the browser on Mac / PC so they could still run Silverlight application?

Thanks

Friday, September 30, 2016 3:39 PM
  • imho, HTML 5 is a choice, but it is a horrible choice compared to the functionality of SL. Oh well.
    Monday, October 3, 2016 1:57 PM
  • I guess my question is how do I make sure that my SL application will indeed run until 2021? Is there a way of running old browsers for the Mac? Will IE 11 be around until 2021 or will they discontinue it on that browser too? What about out-of-browser? Will that work after 2021?

Thanks

Monday, October 3, 2016 2:34 PM
  • Microsoft have no plans to further invest in Silverlight and it is effectively deprecated. They will however continue to support it to 2021 according to the following page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?C2=12905&wa=wsignin1.0. That's basically all official information there is regarding this as far I know.

>>Will IE 11 be around until 2021 or will they discontinue it on that browser too?

Since the official support is valid until 2021 I would assume that there will be at least one IE browser that will support Silverlight until then. Note that the new Edge browser doesn't support Silverlight though. It is IE only.

>>Is there a way of running old browsers for the Mac?

This is a question you will have to ask Apple. But I would not count on getting a Silverlight work in newer web browsers for Mac.

When it comes to greenfield web development, the overall strategy of the entire industry is to move away from browser add-ins such as Silverlight and Flash and focus on HTML5. You should probably do the same. Sooner or later you will probably have to migrate your Silverlight applications anyway.

>>I guess my question is how do I make sure that my SL application will indeed run until 2021?

Use a version of IE that supports Silverlight.

>>What about out-of-browser? Will that work after 2021?

At least there won't be any official support for it so by the time the official support ends in 2021, you should have migrated all your Silverlight applications. That's the advice I would give you.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

• Marked as answer by Dave Vorgang Monday, October 3, 2016 9:17 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 9:09 PM
  • Thanks you. I am in the process of looking into frameworks such as Aurela.io and Serenity code generator.
    Monday, October 3, 2016 9:17 PM