[W8.1] Does Roaming data syncs for the first time when app data are in download and installation process?

Question

• Hi,

I will store user Id in "HighPriority" Roaming data. When user will install app in another computer (with the same Microsoft Account), app will get user Id from Roaming data. Then I can implement all data sync over my cloud service.

There are 2 scenarios:

1. User downloads and installs app in another computer, but roaming data syncs/downloads for the first time only after several minutes - It's bad for my app :(

2. User downloads and installs app in another computer and roaming data syncs/downloads at the same time (then I can get user Id immediately) - Its great for my app :)

Which scenario is real in practice?

Does Roaming data syncs for the first time when app data are in download and installation process?

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 12:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi _developer,

>>Does Roaming data syncs for the first time when app data are in download and installation process?

No, I wouldn't plan it being available until the first run of the app(which should force a sync by getting the RoamingSettings object), see this similar thread: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/3e34e778-0abd-4932-a21f-0808c9b660a1/roaming-application-data-synced-on-install?forum=winappswithcsharp

>>I will store user Id in "HighPriority" Roaming data
    >>Which scenario is real in practice?

The answer should be the first one, if you have used the HighPriority setting associated with RoamingSettings, the data will be roamed within one minute, see https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/c228201c-89db-4c98-b04d-05937f001156/how-much-time-does-it-usually-take-for-the-roaming-data-to-sync?forum=winappswithhtml5

Windows allows each app to have a “high priority” setting that will be roamed within one minute, thereby allowing apps on multiple devices to stay much more closely in sync. This one setting—which can be a composite setting—must exist in the root of your roamingSettings with the name HighPriority—that is, roamingSettings.values["HighPriority"]. That setting must also be 8K or smaller to maintain the priority. If you exceed 8K, it will roam with normal priority (and note that the setting must be a single or composite setting; a settings container with the same name will roam with normal priority). See Scenario 6 of the  Application data sample for a demonstration.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by sharpXO Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:35 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 5:49 AM
  • Thanks Franklin for answer,

Am I correct, that after we lost ANID and ANID2 there are no possibility to sync user id immediately between the same user in different devices (Universal Apps)? of course, except login, which is not always liked by users...

how do you solving this issue?

Maybe Win 10 will return ANID2?

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:54 AM
  • Thanks Franklin for answer,

Am I correct, that after we lost ANID and ANID2 there are no possibility to sync user id immediately between the same user in different devices (Universal Apps)? of course, except login, which is not always liked by users...

how do you solving this issue?

Maybe Win 10 will return ANID2?

Hi _developer,

>>how do you solving this issue?

You can use the Live SDK to access the user's Live login info, so I believe you could leverage that somehow. Take a look at the Single Sign-on article: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dn631824.aspx

>>Maybe Win 10 will return ANID2?

We can't discuss the feature in the public forum, if you have a platform capability or API suggestion, please continue to post them to the Windows platform developer UserVoice site. Please note that Microsoft will be updating this site between now and Build to reflect the new capabilities of Windows 10.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:33 AM