Battery draining faster after windowsphone 8.1 update RRS feed

• Question

• After the update, my battery drains so fast that I begin to wonder if the phone is faulty.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:16 AM

All replies

• After wp8.1 dev pre. Install Lumia 1320 battery drain fast kindly solve that issue
    • Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:08 PM Merging Threads
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:21 AM
  • I updated to 8.1 this morning and I am finding my Lumia 920 running hot (really hot), even when the screen is off and its not in use, and draining the battery rapidly. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

On the upside I can start porting my apps to winrt. until my phone burns up anyway ;)

p.s. I have tried resetting the phone to defaults + hard reboot. Verified I have no apps running in the background when I turn the screen down and set it on my desk. Always hot in any case.

• Edited by Paul Wade Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:32 AM
    • Merged by Eli A Monday, April 21, 2014 3:39 PM Merging Thread
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:30 AM
  • Does Battery Saver show any app using the battery? Just an idea...
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:58 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I too experienced the same, but once update was done and everything was complete the device returned to its normal state.

Regards,

Gargi

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:01 AM
  • Since it is not an official version there would be some excess battery draining, but well you can limit the background apps & save a bit of battery, follow the following

open battery saver, click on the apps & toggle the allow to run the app in background to "Off" do this for all the apps u don't require them to be running in background.

remember doing so can turn off some features of some apps like live tiles & notifications from the app.

• Proposed as answer by Tiwaash Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:11 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:04 AM
  • Does Battery Saver show any app using the battery? Just an idea...
    Great idea. I just checked and unfortunately nothing stands out :(
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:04 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I too experienced the same, but once update was done and everything was complete the device returned to its normal state.

Regards,

Gargi

I agree that's what I was thinking but I've had it installed for around 10 hours now. Still hot though all day. I just hope it doesn't explode next to my head on the nightstand tonight :)

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:06 AM
  • I installed the WP8.1 update this morning and used the phone sporadically throughout the day. When in use I feel like the battery is quite good. However, when I put the phone to sleep, the screen runs really hot, and the battery drains faster than usual like 1% every 1-3 minutes. 

I have opened battery saver but it shows Cortana and IE using most of the battery, but I'm not sure why the battery is draining so quickly. Anybody else have a similar experience? Or help?

• Merged by Eli A Monday, April 21, 2014 2:57 PM Merging Issues
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:06 AM
  • I have a lumia 928 but I have the exact same issue. I have this other question in case anybody answers it (Specific to the 928) but I'll keep my eye here as well.

• Edited by Vivas1 Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:08 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:07 AM
  • I have a lumia 928 but I have the exact same issue. I have this other question in case anybody answers it (Specific to the 928) but I'll keep my eye here as well.

Thanks! Glad to know I'm not alone.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:15 AM
  • I'm having the same problem, dk why...
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:38 AM
  • I am having the same issCoue. It appears Cortana is the issue. DISABLE HER and the phone will stop running hot and the battery seems lasts longer
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:39 AM
  • I have a Nokia icon and it is also running hot and draining the battery. It appears Cortana is part of the issue. If you disable her in the battery saver screen the phone will not run hot and the battery will last a bit longer
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:46 AM
  • I'm having the same issue. In 2 hours my battery dropped 45 % :/
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:54 AM
  • The same issue with my lumia720 - battery drains very quickly. Especially the first time right after WP8.1 update & restart the battery dropped from 100% to 35%. After that I tried soft reset, once again fully charged the battery, for now the phone consumes ~15% in hour. 

Cortana and some other power consuming apps are turned off, but battery is still draining.... 

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:15 AM
  • I have the same problem with Lumia 1520
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:53 AM
  • I'm having the same issue with my Lumia 820

• Edited by ilaste75 Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:10 AM
  • I had the same problem yesterday, found out that it was cortana the culprit. so i disabled it and now, my phone work just great. Don't forget to do a calibration for the battery. let it drop till 5% and charge it again to 100%

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:16 AM
  • same issue, lumia 920

• Edited by woland_y2k Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:22 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:20 AM
  • The same problem here, Lumia 1520. Please check it!
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:29 AM
  • its cortana, she sucks the battery right out of my 1520.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:13 AM
  • Same here with my L720.

Try these :-

Change the sync setting for your email accounts.(I have set them to 'sync every 1hr')

and/or

Limit the number of apps running is background.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:29 AM
  • I'm having a similar issue on my Lumia 1020, I've disabled background usage of all unused apps but after charging the phone to 100% this morning, battery dropped to 65% in an hour and the phone was mostly idle.

The weird thing is, when I checked battery saver usage statistics, I saw that unused apps were using battery, Internet explorer was on top and second one was the default Camera app. And guess what, I did not take any photos after installing developer preview.

There were many unused apps in the list, shown as using battery in the background, that's really weird...

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:25 AM
  • Afteri get wp8.1on my phone nokia lumia 1520 the back neer the camera get very hoti don't know why??
    • Merged by Shawna VModerator Monday, June 2, 2014 4:13 PM Batter drain and overheating
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:31 PM
  • I have been trying to find a root cause for this battery drain but seem to be stumped with it. 

Upon checking batter sense thesse are the apps that are using "most" of my my battery. Supposedly mostly when in use and not in background.

Even after disabling Cortana (which some people have said fixes the problem) but that has not been the case. I'm still getting a discharge speed of 21% per hour which is quite unacceptable. If you have this issue, make sure you upvote the question so that the Windows Phone team is made aware of it.

• Proposed as answer by Taran83 Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:09 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:15 PM
  • I have seen a similar issue posted for other Nokia phone models, but decided to post mine in the hopes of drawing more attention to the matter.

I updated to the 8.1 preview yesterday. I expected some problems, but not to this extent. My battery life has gone from about 16 hours to less than 2 hours. The phone is running very hot all the time. I have every app background task turned off (Including Cortana) and only wi-fi is enabled. The battery still drains rapidly and the phone is still hot. I actually have to put the phone into airplane mode to get it to charge at a higher rate than it drains.

I have already attempted soft and hard restarts.

This is a strange and somewhat debilitating problem. I would be happy to provide any further information. Anything to help get this resolved quickly.

• Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:30 PM Merge Threads
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:39 PM
  • The same issue with Nokia Lumia 920 updated to Windows Phone 8.1 Dev Prev!

My battery life has gone from about 2 days to about 10 hours, with same use in 3G and Wi-Fi and the same background tasks and position service disabled. The device become very hot behind, where there are CPU and 3G module (near the dual flash led) also for simple visualizing Twitter or Facebook! I also done hard and soft reset, but the situation doesn't change!

Please, give furtherinformation about this issue and fix it because this high hot damage all the device and the battery!!!

We waiting your further answers about, please!!!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:54 PM
  • I had the same problem yesterday, found out that it was cortana the culprit. so i disabled it and now, my phone work just great. Don't forget to do a calibration for the battery. let it drop till 5% and charge it again to 100%

Unfortunately, I tried that, but Cortana wasn't the culprit. Still draining 1% every 1-3 minutes.  Hope someone at MSFT gets to see this.
    • Proposed as answer by Taran83 Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Taran83 Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:10 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:12 PM

Unfortunately, I tried that, but Cortana wasn't the culprit. Still draining 1% every 1-3 minutes.  Hope someone at MSFT gets to see this.
    I've tried disabling Cortana as well, even though I wasn't seeing additional battery use, tried it anyway. No change. same drain and heat. Phone has been sitting on my desk for the last two hours and its still hot.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:37 PM
  • Hi to all!!!

I'm from Italy and also I have the same problem with my Nokia Lumia 920. I've installed the 14th April WP8.1 update and today I've seen that my battery drains rapidly in about 8-10 hours when before drains in about 18-20 hours.

In addition the phone is always hot when using 3G and WiFi (too) behind near the flash led.

I disabled ALL background tasks and resetting, but nothing changes!

I hope that MS read this issue and give us an answer and solution about!!!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:38 PM
  • Yesterday mine was doing the same thing, but I think it was mostly caused by the reinstallation of all the apps after the OS was up and running.  My phone is nice and cool today. Hope it stays that way.  No need to turn off Cortana's background services.
    • Proposed as answer by Alessio_84 Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Paul Wade Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:19 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Experiencing the faster battery drian as well. Wanted to limit the background apps in response but can't find the feature now. Can't find it's replacement either.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:47 PM
  • Same Here on my Lumia 928 15 percent a hour with moderate use

-EricMarsi

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:49 PM
  • The same problem for Nokia Lumia 920!

In addition the device become so hot either under 3G than WiFi and I don't want that damage the CPU and battery!

Please check and fix soon with an update!!!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:02 PM
  • Microsoft please fix it up

• Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:23 PM Merge Thread
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:11 PM
  • User on WP Central forums says background apps has moved to "battery sense" under Applications but I don't see that there. Anyone figure out where background apps is now?
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:12 PM
  • Battery Saver -> usage -> some apps will show either "not allowed", "allowed", or "always allowed". Many apps don't have the option to change the setting, so you can only modify those that display one of those under the app name.

Touch the app and you can change whether it is allowed to run in the background or not. There is also a check box you can tick to allow it to run in the background even if Battery Saver is on.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:20 PM
  • I tried everything but shutting down all the apps in the background, Changed the sync settings and some other features also but nothing changed... Any idea about the issue which everyone's facing..
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:40 PM
  • I'm actually resting mine on an icepack (With a towel over it to prevent condensation). It's too valuable a machine to let it run that hot all the time. I really hope this gets seen and patched soon.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:45 PM
  • Hard reset did not help: (
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:53 PM
  • Same to my Lumia 520, it drains faster than before I get the preview WP8.1, even with battery saver on and limited the background app.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Also having this issue... I have the Lumia icon... Disappointed in this. I have no apps running in background, including Cortana, and I'm getting a 20% per hour drain. Kinda sad... I didn't realize updating to 8.1 would cause me to lose half of my battery life. I guess it is a dev preview... So there are bound to be bugs. I just hope there is a fix quickly.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:08 PM
  • Thanks for pointing this out. I noticed that it seems that all apps that could process in the background have been enabled to do so.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:10 PM
  • Yes,After the update my phone battery draining so fast,even on standby.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:15 PM
  • settings -> email and accounts
    I have configured my gmail account, I notice that is always in synchronize...
    Someone else? can it be the problem?
    I can't delete that account while is in synchronize
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:27 PM
  • I had the same issue with my Lumia Icon.  Once I updated to Windows Phone 8.1, my phone was getting hot and battery drainage was extremely high.  I figured it might be the same thing that happend to my Lumia 928 with the Update 3, so I used my phone as much as possible to get the battery drained all the way to 3%, then did an uninterruped full charge to 100% using the power cord (NOT THE WIRELESS CHARGER).  I have since not had any problems with battery drainage and phone is staying cool to the touch.  I think it may have something to do with BATTERY SAVER not knowing the current "state" of the battery, so you need to do a "battery reconditioning", but then I'm no Microsoft technician.  I only know this worked for me.  Been on and off my Icon, using Cortana, texting and makine phone calls all day since 5:00 a.m. and now at 1:15 p.m. I still have 57% battery left.  Hope this helps everyone.    
    • Edited by rednibkram Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Alessio_84 Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alessio_84 Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:46 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:14 PM
  • Same with lumia 1320. Using browser for more than 5 minutes makes the phone hot and drains the battery faster. Cortona is disabled. Please fix it
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:26 PM
  • HTC 8X here, no cortana installed. (not available in my region)

When I usually have about 40 percent remaining at 7-8PM, then today phone was already out of juice by 8PM

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:33 PM
  • Mine bled out 17% battery earlier today while trying to start Cortana.

I have virtually all services turned off ( NFC, Bluetooth, wifi, background apps ) and still the phone occasionally grows very hot and hemorrhages battery life.

It's not even 2pm and I'm down to 15% battery.  I normally get home around 6pm with 65-70% left.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:49 PM

I confirm, my problem was the gmail account always in synchronize.
    Now my Lumia works fine
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:49 PM
  • Same problem here on Lumia 920!
    Without using it I have a battery drain of about 14% per hour!

All unnecessary backgrounds has been disabled. Very disappointed!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:58 PM
  • The same problem with lumia icon
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:17 PM
  • Same here, I have posted another question since I thought it might have been device-specific. I have disabled background apps, disabled glance and yet it still drains really quickly (within a couple  hours) even when just sleeping.  I have noticed the phone getting really warm when just sleeping. Anybody else?
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:47 PM
  • Another issue is that Microsoft deleted the option: Keep Wi-Fi On When the Screen Turns Off

We need it back because it's a trouble.

Federico Navarrete

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:10 PM
  • Yesterday mine was doing the same thing, but I think it was mostly caused by the reinstallation of all the apps after the OS was up and running.  My phone is nice and cool today. Hope it stays that way.  No need to turn off Cortana's background services.

I agree that I do not believe Cortana is the issue based on my observations of the battery monitor. I am on day two now and still running hot when it is just sitting on my desk.

I don't think this is an answer however. All apps are installed and updated and the problem persists.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:20 PM

I confirm, my problem was the gmail account always in synchronize.
    Now my Lumia works fine

I am glad that worked for you but no ive checked my email accounts (I only have my ms account on the phone) problem persists.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Hello Everyone,
    The first day after updating your device you can expect some battery consumption due to the reinstallation of all applications and normal restoration that may occur post update.

We ask that you watch your battery consumption on day 2 and 3 and do so through the Battery Saver application.  If you can please open the Top 2-3 items in the battery saver application and look at each application you will see if the battery consumption is based on background task or if the application was active on the screen being used by you.  If you see a large amount of consumption in the background compared to your own personal use as the application it would be helpful to watch those.

In addition, if you can please also go to Settings -> Email + Accounts  and see if any accounts are stuck in sync mode.  There could be an account sync issue that is occurring.  You can stop the sync and re-add the account to see if it resolves your issue or if the primary account simply restart the phone.

If you continue to see the issue, please provide some screenshots of your battery saver application, and the second screen for the top 2-3 items so we can see consumption. 

Thank you,
    Eli A.

Windows Phone Support - Tech Lead

• Proposed as answer by ionicbond Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:38 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:49 PM
  • Since installing Windows Phone 8.1 on my Nokia Lumia 1020, the battery drains incredibly fast. It dropped about 80% in less that 2 hours. I turned off Cortana, Wi Fi Sense, and several other apps that run in the background, and still it drops like a rock. It's pretty much unusable now without a charger nearby. 
    • Edited by Shea Dunn Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:11 PM adding phone version
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:09 PM
  • Same Here

L920. Very fast!!!!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:22 PM
  • I'm having the same problem on my 920. Battery saver shows that it's IE and Podcasts app as the 2 biggest draws. 
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:43 PM
  • As mentioned in a previous post I observed that every app on my phone with background processing was enabled after the update. I corrected this and my 920 battery usage seems to be returning to normal now.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:37 PM
  • Same problem with my 928...

I only have 4 apps that run in the background, everything else turned off. I read earlier about Cortana might be using a lot of battery, but oddly enough Battery Sense uses more battery running it's magic then Cortana does.

I believe it's something in the coding, since I have exactly the same apps running now that I did when I was on WP 8.0 Black Update. So there's got to be something else running that doesn't appear in the Battery Sense listing, maybe the Live Action Task Manager.

I'm also bummed about SHARING in Windows Phone 8.1... Missing the integrated sharing vs. now having to open up the Facebook app every time I want to share something... And now only web links appear on feeds and no longer the video or Article Picture and first paragraph...

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:00 PM
  • I have Lumia 928 and only have 4 background apps/tiles running, same as I did with WP8 with Black Update. I used to be able to make it through the whole day off a full charge.

Now I am lucky to get half a day and I barely used my phone today.

I read Cortana might be the culprit, and turned that background task off... but the phone keeps draining at about 5-15% per hour.  Looking at the Battery Sense list, I find it odd that Battery Sense uses more than Cortana did before I turned it off.

I am thinking that it's the Active Task Manager that is using the battery the most.  And maybe there's a compatibility issue with Glance turned on.  I mention Glance only because after updating to WP8.1 yesterday and going through each setting to see what differences each setting holds, when I clicked on Glance, a notification popped up and told me to restart the phone in order for Glance to properly run.

I use Glance along with Battery app which I have connected to Glance and I watch the battery drain oh so fast!!!

Any suggestions or feed back would greatly be appreciated. 

• Edited by TheJester77 Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:08 PM updated
    • Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:19 PM Merging Threads
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:06 PM
  • My phone's battery depletes within 6 hours of no use. i have everything uninstalled. only stock apps. no wifi or data. i cant understand why it is doing this
    • Merged by Eli A Monday, April 21, 2014 6:01 PM Merging Threads
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:22 AM
  • my 620 doing same thing
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:15 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. My Phone since has become useless. Pls help!

I'm currently running Nokia Amber

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:20 AM
  • yeeez thank god that I am not the only one having the same problem. I'm running a Lumia 620 and by being in stand by it drops 1% a minute!!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:26 AM
  • Same situation here. Battery is draining very quickly even with everything turned off. Lumia 928.

Battery saver shows the most drain for apps in foreground so I have to believe it's a flaw in the system. Only had a few app updates and those were while plugged in.

this must be fixed

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:39 AM
  • Same here. Appears to be system flaw in my opinion. Microsoft, please address this asap.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:45 AM
  • As far as Lumia 928 is concerned it always had a fast battery draining issue even on WP8 but now with#WP8.1DP this issue has worsened the average battery draining is almost 8.5%/hr even when the phone is kept idle. All we can do is just wait for the official Cyan update because DP is not a full-fledged version and it does suffer from such issues, but to conserve the battery till then pls follow the following

Don't keep the location always on, switch it off when not in use, doing so would disable Cortana and the battery wouldn't drain quickly as Cortana is a Beta App now and the consistency cannot be judged at the moment.

if not using Wi-Fi turn the"turn on Wi-Fi on automatically to manual"

limit the use of Cortana

in stores setting turn off the Auto update apps, because even without notice this feature would update the app and drain the battery.

well for now these should help conserve the battery for good 9 hours of occasional FB WhatsApp twitter and other days intensive App.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:16 AM
  • I have same issue with my Nokia 820
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:31 AM
  • google account shows syncing everytime and battery drain is rapid....can't i delete the account from constant sync while syncing...?
    • Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:25 PM Merge Threads
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:10 AM
  • Seem Cortana eat lot of battery. Disable her will improve battery life!
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:17 AM
  • My solution is:

- Disable Cortana

- Disable apps which you don't need run in backgroud

So now my Lumia 1520 battery work as same as before

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:20 AM
  • I have the same problem with my Nokia Lumia 620. After updating to 8.1, the battery depletes in 5 to 6 hours.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:04 AM
  • 2 of my email accounts are syncing constantly and it doesn't allow me to do any action. I can't stop them or delete them during synchronization (which lasts for eternity)    
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:20 AM
  • Same issue here on my Lumia 925, without Cortana enabled.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:22 AM
  • I remember they say that using the back button will actually NOT close your app but makes it running in the background. Is this the caused of the reported battery drained..?? How you guys think of this?
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:39 AM
  • I tried to re-add the emails that are now syncing constantly. It says: "there is already an account called so". And it's all still syncing :( 
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:39 AM
  • With Cortana disabled, and most of the background apps disabled(just whatsapp, battery saver, calender are enabled) having fast battery drain on Lumia 625, previously I was using OS version 8.0.10517.150 had no issues with battery. But since I have updated to 8.1 the battery drain fast. Should I disable battery saver and calender background apps?
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:44 AM
  • I don't think Cortana is the (root) cause of this as I have both a Lumia 1520 and a Lumia 620, and both phones drain their batteries at least twice as fast as before installing 8.1DP.

________________ drahnier

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:21 AM
  • Doesn't work for my Lumia 1520.

- Would you mind posting your phone's firmware and hardware revision numbers?

Edit: After a few days of 'normal' use, battery consumption has settled down to more or less the same level as before updating to 8.1 on both of my two phones (Lumia 1520, Lumia 620).

Not sure what fixed it, tough. It either fixed itself or I have inadvertently 'fixed' it by adjusting some settings (turned off advertising id, denied access to location service for some apps).

• Edited by dd-drahnier Sunday, April 20, 2014 1:14 AM update status
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:28 AM
  • I have reinstalled and updated all the app on my Nokia Lumia 920, but the hot temperature persists also with very minimal use!

I think that the issue is related to the 3G module and CPU drivers. Disabling position service nothing change, then this feature ins-t related to the issue.

I hope that my battery doesn't explode as occurred on iPhone!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:59 AM
  • After install of WP 8.1 on my Lumia 1520 the battery drains rapidly and the phone gets hot even when it's locked. The battery saver tells IE is in top and the drain is NOT in suspended mode. That doesn't say anything because IE is the app I use 98% of the active time, so of course it is in top. Is there a way to see what app/process that is using current CPU like task manager in windows?
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:14 AM
  • Same problem with my Lumia 920, after updating to WP 8.1 and I closed every running app in the background and still Heating and BIG battery Drainage. !!!

Waiting for the FIX

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:23 AM
  • ditto on my 925. have rescheduled email syncing to hourly so will see if it's the problem. there was also another old mail a/c that was top of battery usage even tho I wasn't syncing in but have deleted that.

(manual syncing seemed to be getting stuck but timed seems ok)

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:23 AM
  • It seems that the phone always keeps the WLAN connection running when the phone is locked. It seems that there is no settings switch anymore as it was in 8.0.

I noticed it, as my battery was down to almost 50% after half a day at work without using my phone, because it was continuous connected to our wlan.

After I turned WLAN completely off, battery drained normal for the rest of the day.

I would love to have the ability to disconnect WLAN when phone is locked and reconnect when I use it, just as it was in WP 8.0

• Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:12 PM Merging Threads
    • Proposed as answer by snaray Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:30 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:37 AM
  • Same on my 925 (T-Mobile).  I set it up yesterday and noted the issue.      This morning, it had dropped by 20% in an hour (but it did not get hot as is usually the case when the process or antenna is working too hard).   It has continued like that with little to no usage. However it also seems to be charging must faster that it should, indicating that it may be a display/reporting issue vs. reality. 

Note that the batter monitor app seems to be worthless as it only gives you general bars, without time aspects and they don't reset after you charge it. 
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:16 AM
  • I notice a dramatic battery drain when using internet explorer on a nokia 920. 

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:25 AM
  • I noticed that too. I charged my battery to 100% around midnight...maybe 1 AM. It was at 56% in 9.30 AM. It would be great if we have the option back, instead of keeping the wifi on all the time.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:53 AM
  • You can find that feature in the batterysaver-item...or what it's called in English...
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:09 AM
  • Same situation here. Battery is draining very quickly even with everything turned off. Lumia 920 NoBrand Cv-IT.

Battery saver shows the most drain for apps in foreground so I have to believe it's a flaw in the system. Only had a few app updates and those were while plugged in.

this must be fixed

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:47 AM
  • Same issue here.

I am already on day 2 (soon 3) after the update, so I doubt it's a post-update issue.

I can also confirm it is NOT Cortana-related, since I cannot install Cortana on my HTC 8S (which does not have English-US phone language, only English-UK).

The strange thing I see under the new "Battery Saver" app, is that the app using the most BACKGROUND battery is "Microsoft Solitaire Collection", but it's not that high (though I wonder why a game should take so much battery in the background when it's not even launched since phone reboot).

My educated guess is that this issue is related to the OS/System and not a specific app.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:58 AM
  • Hello.

With Windows Phone 8.1, every background process that can be on is on by default.

Go to settings, battery saver. You will be able to turn them off. It should save the battery and cool down your device, at least for a bit.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:18 AM
  • I'm still facing this issues after the upgrade install and from a clean install, however I did optimize my background task to like 5 items and still the battery drains really quick. 😐
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:27 AM
  • I have been having the same problem with my 920 post update. The battery doesn't even last for 2 hours on a full charge. I have stopped all background tasks, deleted all email accounts, don't have cortana, deleted a few more apps, yet the drain is spectacular. I can see the battery percentage drop every minute. The phone is constantly hot.

The battery save app shows the most apps using battery in the background task. Like Skype is using the battery in background even though I have disabled skype.

The problem is also in the charging. Its taking ages to charge. I left the phone on charge for all night twice and it didn't charge 100% after 7 hours every day. Its astonishing!!!

I don't understand what should I do. The phone has become useless now as I just cant move out with it. I think I will have to buy a new phone.

MS you need to solve this issue ASAP.

• Proposed as answer by lumiatech guru Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:29 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:55 AM
  • So it wasn't Cortana for me but I was able to find the culprit. I sync 2 email accounts (the MS account and an Exchange account). Well the Exchange account was set to download new content "based on my usage." I changed that back to as items arrive (or really anything else) and my battery life came back to normal. No more overheating, no more 4 hr battery life. In fact, I took my phone off the charger at 3 am (my baby woke up at that time), and by y it was still at 99%. Hope this helps somebody out there.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:25 PM
  • hey guys my battery drains faster after the win 8.1 update..this is the bug of 8.1 any fix on this...regards
    • Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:25 PM Merge Threads
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:28 PM
  • Samehere. Have limited almost alltheapps but still it drains very fast enough.And it's not because of Cortana.It still drains fast enough even if your region is set to some country other than the US
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

I am currently on day two of the upgrade. Since I updated I experience a 8-15% an hour battery drain.

Hopefully these details can help resolve this problem:

My Device:

A Lumia 1020 obtained in the UK in September 2013

Details before:

If I left my phone on standby - I could get 2-3 days. During heavy usage (Xbox music over my Bluetooth headphones), I would easily get a full day with 50% when I got home from work remaining.

I leave WiFi, Bluetooth and Location on constantly (but not NFC). I have my network limited to 3g (as 4g is not available in my area).

Currently:

My phone will not last a work day, whilst hardly in use. Here is the screenshot you requested:
    screenshot

I personally believe these readings to be incorrect. I took about 8 photographs on my phone last night. That is the only use of Nokia Camera to my knowledge.

Internet Explorer has been used for casual browsing (maybe an hours tops over the last two days).

Skype runs in the background, but I have not opened it as I view and respond to messages on my PC. This makes no sense as Battery Sense claims that all of Skypes usage was 'app in use'. This is incorrect.

Cortana, I have used a few times to set reminders here and there. Of course I tested it to death for the first hour of having the update.I actually expected this to have a usage that far surpassed everything else (its been the most used app on my device since the upgrade). Perhaps its reporting its usage in internet explorer??

Things I have tried:

I have turned WiFi Sense off.

I have also made sure that no apps except Skype and cortana can run in the background. Cortana is the only app that will run regardless of whether battery saver is on or not.

I have soft reset my phone (but not hard reset).

I do not have a new start screen background.

I have a plain 'photo' as my lock screen background.

I have checked my email and accounts section. Nothing is stuck.

If I turn on 'battery saver', my battery depletes at a rate of <1% an hour. This suggests to me that something is not correctly reporting its background usage to battery sense.

I hope this is of use to someone somewhere. Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide, or anything else I can try.

Thanks,
    Elliott

• Edited by majora31 Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:43 PM Forgot a detail requested.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:40 PM
  • The option still exists, only moved to another submenu. In the list of WiFi networks, scroll down until you see a button named "manage". Click it and you'll find the option you're looking for.

• Proposed as answer by Oren Chapo Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:22 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:20 PM
  • The new podcast app was using all of my battery according to battery saver, even though I just used it for about 10 mins.

See pic: https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=76D84E376326FA32&resid=76D84E376326FA32%2136818&authkey=AAoN-EIipAiZbQg

• Edited by bobdonkey Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:57 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:21 PM
  • it drain 40% in night without any use.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:37 PM
  • It would be good to have a way to reset to Battery Saver stats.  I cannot see a way to do that (menu etc.)

I have a feeling that my phone is still just using up the battery without being app specific, but without being able to reset the stats and leave the phone alone for a day it's hard to see...

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:05 PM
  • Hi chumilesco. This problem is caused by new connections being opened by the new update, your phone is busy with more applications and connections at a time than it was with the previous update.. please don't waste your money on a new battery.

- Regards Tjibbeh

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:10 PM
  • I'm not saying this will work for everybody, but after some investigation, I fixed the problem on my phone. I learned that this dev preview is the final release version. The only changes made will be third-party ones. So, I had to assume that something went wrong in the installation.

Now, here's the embarrassing part. I was confused about what a hard reset was. I thought that holding the button down for 20 seconds constituted a hard reset or effectively a battery pull. No, a hard reset is actually resetting your phone to factory settings. You all probably know that, though.

So, here's what I did to fix my heat and battery problem:

1. Backup all my data by going to settings > backup
    2. Reset phone by going to settings > about > reset your phone
    3. Go through the setup process as if it were a new phone.
    4. Once you sign in with your windows account, it will begin restoring everything. This may take 20-60 minutes.

It will run hot and drain the battery while it is setting up and restoring (Naturally), but it will then return to its normal long battery life and cool runnings. At least, that is what happened in my case. Good luck.

• Marked as answer by bgblackburn3 Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:10 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:10 PM
  • I'm not saying this will work for everybody, but after some investigation, I fixed the problem on my phone. I learned that this dev preview is the final release version. The only changes made will be third-party ones. So, I had to assume that something went wrong in the installation.

Now, here's the embarrassing part. I was confused about what a hard reset was. I thought that holding the button down for 20 seconds constituted a hard reset or effectively a battery pull. No, a hard reset is actually resetting your phone to factory settings. You all probably know that, though.

So, here's what I did to fix my heat and battery problem:

1. Backup all my data by going to settings > backup
    2. Reset phone by going to settings > about > reset your phone
    3. Go through the setup process as if it were a new phone.
    4. Once you sign in with your windows account, it will begin restoring everything. This may take 20-60 minutes.

It will run hot and drain the battery while it is setting up and restoring (Naturally), but it will then return to its normal long battery life and cool runnings. At least, that is what happened in my case. Good luck.

• Proposed as answer by bgblackburn3 Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:12 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:11 PM
  • here is a picture.

IDK why messaging and people uses so much. when I tap them, the background bar is completely maxed while the in-use bar is empty.

Skill Level= Moderate

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:13 PM
  • I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 and use Battery Sense (3rd party app, not the new built-in Battery Saver) to show me the current battery rate.

On Windows Phone 8.0 (Nokia Black/GDR3), the battery rate was about 1-2% per hour, if the phone wasn't heavily used (more or less on standby).

After updating to Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview, the battery drain was much higher at about 10-12% per hour...

But after going through all the settings and configuring everything as it used to be on WP8.0, I got the battery rate down to 3-5% per hour.
    I don't need most of the new features (e.g. WiFi Sense, etc.) and therefore disabled them... also went through the list of background tasks in the new Battery Saver to disable all of them, except a few I actually want to run in bg (Whatsapp, Skype, Bing Sports and Battery Sense of course).

Cortana is pretty much the only new service running on my phone, compared to WP8.0 (some new things I can't change or don't know about yet aside)...

So I think, with the right configuration you can get WP8.1 to work just as good as WP8.0... considering this is a developer preview and not the final release, I can't complain much (at least not about battery life, don't get me started on the new xbox music and games hub).

PS: At least for me the problems with the battery were based on the new default configurations. Since some users are reporting, that they needed a hard reset to get it under control, I can not say for sure that my solution will work for everyone...

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:06 PM
  • Unfortunately not with german language/location settings.

I will try to check this by changing location and/or language and will tell wheter it works or not.

thank you in advance :)

• Edited by eberthold Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:41 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:40 PM
  • Sadly it does not depend on language or location...

Any other ideas why it is hidden?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:55 PM
  • how did you turn off internet explorer ? from your screenshot it shows not allowed. But on my lumia 1020 no options to turn background usage off for internet explorer is not available  
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:08 PM
  • After searching in other forums it seems like all Nokia Lumias are missing this setting in WP8.1 Preview. On Samsung and HTC devices the switch is visible.

• Marked as answer by eberthold Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:09 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:08 PM
  • My Lumia 920 is being drained too since I installed WP8.1 developers preview.

I updated from Nokia Amber too (no black update yet on my country)

Lucas D. Luengo

Edit: My phone is hot from time to time (while not using it)

The drain also happend with battery saving mode enabled

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:26 PM
  • Its a horror that my battery lost about 30% per hour. Before Update that was only 5% per hour. Every moment i must charge.
    • Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:10 PM Merging Threads
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:54 PM
  • My 8X drains within 5-6 hours too. Running 8.1 preview. Also noticed that battery percentage prediction lost 10% after reboot. Perhaps the battery percentage counter has a flaw? My phone is also noticeably hotter as well.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:02 PM
  • am ready get rid of the phone. Microsoft keeps messing up. Windows phone is flawed. Never had such problems with android. The price of supporting the company you love.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:09 PM
  • you do know that this is a beta right
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:59 PM
  • This is not a beta (at least it is not supposed to be): it is the Developer Preview. This is the OS that was shipped to OEMs. The only thing not final is the firmware from OEMs, but the lack of new firmware and OEM specific code should not cause a problem as pervasive this. I do not know if they will be able to modify and ship new code to the OEMs to fix bugs (I suppose they can). Doing so would probably slow down the release, and I do not know if they planned for such eventualities.

To return to the topic of battery issues, I am having the same problem. It even gets hot with wifi turned off. Very disappointing. Hopefully they will fix this soon; this is clearly a near-universal problem with the update.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:15 PM
  • Same problem here. Happened twice when I charged the phone to 100% at night just to discover that my phone is already switched off by morning with no usage! Typically it use to just drop to some 70-80%. Using the insider app, I got to know that actual standby time was only 4-5 hours! And yes phone is getting overheated during charging and sometimes during use. Even in day time I experienced once a rapid discharge rate. Every 5 minutes when I glanced the battery percentage, I found out that battery as dropped 2-3% from before. Battery saver shows Cortona and IE at top. I am using a Lumia 620.
    • Edited by GauravC12 Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:04 AM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:03 AM
  • Having the same problem on Lumia 928, but narrowed down the issue to Location services. Once I turned off Location, battery life returned to normal.

Problem is, that if you want to use Cortana, Location is required to be on.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:05 AM
  • I see the same problem. It seems to be related to Location being turned on. Turn it off and battery drain is fixed. Problem is, Fortuna needs Location turned on.

This isn't just an 8.1 issue. 8 has the same problem.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:10 AM
  • Have the same problem on the 928. Turn off Location to remedy. But, this also kills Cortana's usefulness.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:12 AM
  • Location seems to be the culprit, which is required by Cortana. You can turn it off under settings.

v8 has the same problem.

Hope MS can fix this to reduce power consumption with Location turned on.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:17 AM
  • battery discharge is more... please fix it soon in d next official update of 8.1.... this is d major bug which i found...get it updated in official update
    • Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:43 PM Merging
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

As everyone, I got also battery drained quite fasts after installing Preview and playing with Cortana and getting familiar with 8.1 :)

Yesterday I was using my phone, Lumia 920 as usual, and here is my capture from Battery Saver, lasted even better than on 8.0.

Of course I have used Cortana and other features a little more than before update, but now this doesn't worrie me at all.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:38 AM
  • I have the same settings in wp 8.0 where it lasts for avg. a day
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:16 AM
    • battery draining too fast 
    • taking too much time to charge
    • device(lumia 520) overheating like anything
    • Merged by Eli A Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:47 PM Merging
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:18 AM
  • for me the battery was draining fast too, but now after two days it seems to have stabilize on my 520, strange thing is, my phone is charging at 57%/hr rate. Used to have 30-35%.

Did you just install 8.1 or on 14th this month.

Although didn't have the overheating issue.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

I'am from India. And I'm having this battery drain and heating problem with my Lumia 820 after I updated to WP8.1 Preview. Earlier my lumia 820 was able to give me one complete day backup, but just after the update, its battery time has decreased to just 4 hrs... :(

Also, I've noticed that battery drain is very very fast when I'm using 3G network, but if I'm on Wi-Fi or switched network mode to 2G battery performance is bit better. 

Is there some issues with 3G module or what. Please help

Rohit Kanth

• Merged by Eli A Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:34 PM Merging
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:18 AM
  • I've installed 8.1 on my 620, and I'm actually getting better battery life than before. However, I'm holding off on updating my 920 because I can't afford for that to have rubbish battery life and I don't want to risk it.
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:36 AM
  • It maybe coming even from an app. Once back on Windows phone 8, i had the same issue. My e-mails accounts were normaly synching no problem with that. But the problem of the draining was coming from an app. And i just uninstalled the recent apps i've installed back then one by one. untill i found the culprit and it was "Magnify beta". Just saying, it could be any app causing this drain issue

• Edited by Loupio Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:54 AM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:17 AM
  • Of course I have disabled all the other apps that I don't need to be in background. I actually have 6-7 apps active. Before 8.1 I had 3-4 apps with an average consumption from 1,7% to 3,9% per hour.
    Now I have 3,9% to 12% per hour.

I don't think it's an app issue, but OS.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:28 AM
  • My telephone (lumia 920) had a 12 hours battery life before 8.1 now it last less taht 6 hours, I have the same backgroud task than before updating. This is a serius problem with the OS i think
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:12 AM
  • I have been having the same problem with my 920 post update. The battery doesn't even last for 2 hours on a full charge. I have stopped all background tasks, deleted all email accounts, don't have cortana, deleted a few more apps, yet the drain is spectacular. I can see the battery percentage drop every minute. The phone is constantly hot.

The battery save app shows the most apps using battery in the background task. Like Skype is using the battery in background even though I have disabled skype.

The problem is also in the charging. Its taking ages to charge. I left the phone on charge for all night twice and it didn't charge 100% after 7 hours every day. Its astonishing!!!

I don't understand what should I do. The phone has become useless now as I just cant move out with it. I think I will have to buy a new phone.

MS you need to solve this issue ASAP.

You obviusly have some app stuck runing at background.... A hard reset should fix it, have you tried?
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:38 AM
  • Battery Draning & Xbox-Games Lugging Problem pls check this matter nd fix this issu 
    • Merged by Eli A Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:02 PM Merging Threads
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:17 PM
  • An update on mine. I am on day 3 now. I have 84% after 4 hours. This means that I am using 4% an hour. 100/4 = 24-25 hours.

This is much better than before. I have changed nothing ( so I imagine it is settling, and the battery readings before were simply incorrect). It's still reporting well over double its previous usage.

I'm hoping this will drop down as well.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:18 PM
  • I had the same problem with my L820 after 3 soft resets and turning some background task off solved my problem.
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:37 PM
  • u can find the setting for background task in the battery saver app itself

battery saver-- usage- click on desired app.......and here u go....now u can control it to run on background or not

Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:25 PM
  • Battery power is horrible on my 1520 after 8.1 update. My phone is useless. Had  5% at night. Woke up this morning with 35%. This is a 10 hour charge. So what am I suppose to do with the phone. Hope Microsoft acts swiftly to fix these problems. Alot of people will have to get new phone cause of the update. Any solutions will be much appreciated.

• Merged by Eli A Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:59 PM Merging Issues
    • Proposed as answer by Daddy Q Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:54 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:55 PM
  • i have experienced the same thing, it happens when cortana is working and location is on, my 920 drained in 2 hrs. i have to turn of location and stopped using cortana. 
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:19 PM
  • From my experience with lumia 520 I realized that the problem could be related to the Nokia firmware personalization, that now is missing because you know, Lumia Cyan isn't already shipped.

In my case, the battery drain becames terrible simply using the cellular network, with or without data switched on.

In airplane mode with wifi on, in fact, the battery performances are obviously better. With a moderate data use, but massive wifi and Messaging the battery sense shows 20hrs from last charge. And i've 41% of battery remaining.

So first of saying that's an OS problem I'd wait nokia updates of extra and info and network + and lately lumia cyan update

Now I can't post the screenshot, trust me.

• Edited by Andrewhdj Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:24 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:18 PM
  • my battery is running out very fast! I hope that MS solve this problem soon! (LUMIA 520)
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:30 PM
  • I wouldn't say it's a 100% fix but by turning off Wi-Fi Sense, I was at least able to stop the 15% drain per hour.  Battery is still dropping faster than WP8 and I have the same exact background tasks running now that I did in WP8. 

I do believe that Notification center is still half the culprit and is running constantly in the background and unlike other live apps that update every 15 minutes or whatever the new update timing allowed in WP8.1.  Showing the percentage of battery always, missed notification, Cellular Signal, etc. 

Even worse, Notification Center is not one of the apps that show up within Battery Sense.  I personally would like to know how much battery is used by running Notification Center.

• Proposed as answer by TheJester77 Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:39 PM
    • Edited by TheJester77 Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:43 PM updated
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:37 PM
  • I certainly have noticed that my HTC 8X's battery has been draining faster on the 8.1 Preview as well.
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:54 PM
  • I'm using Lumia 920 and I'm having the exact same problem, even after I turned Location off.
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:09 PM
  • Battery draining faster after windowsphone 8.1 update in Lumia 520

Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:13 PM
  • I also had same problem. But I got it over this by going to Settings -> Battery Saver -> usage and removing the background processing on the apps that I don't use frequently. The apps that have marked as 'allowed' are the ones that are running in background.

Some apps do set it to 'allowed' when they are run. You will have to check in their settings to disable it and / or manually 'disallow' them again and again.

ThanQ...

• Proposed as answer by sm_on_live Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by lonely_loner Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by lonely_loner Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:07 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:17 PM
  • I just came across this whilst researching this problem. Does this help anyone?

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/276777-possible-battery-life-solution-new-bug.html

Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:34 PM
  • Same problem with my Lumia 920, after updating to WP 8.1 .

The phone is very hot and the battery drains rapidly

Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:55 PM
  • This is disaster! On my Lumia 820 it drains so fast. I am from Europe, so I am not using Cortana. This phone became useless!
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:03 PM
  • Have you guys gone in and to settings/battery save and disabled apps that don't really need to run in the background. Makes a difference on battery life.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:12 PM
  • But glad it worked for you

dreams are just alternate realities

Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:12 PM
  • In my L720, it's everything ok!! But in my L620 the battery is heating up too much and lasting only 4-5hs!!! Fix it, please!

• Edited by Lumiyata Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:40 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:35 PM
  • Yes, I know that. Do this procedure every time I open an app the first time, to make sure it is not in the background. But not resolved.

I've done a hard reset and also not resolved.

All app's are installed on the phone and not on the microSD.

Which is to say, I did everything to reduce battery consumption. The only app that is running in the background is the whatsapp. Emails only Manually.

And it's only lasting 4-5hs and heating up too much! Any other suggestions?

Tks.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:48 PM
  • After the update to 8.1 on a Lumia 920 I see:
       * Significant battery drain on day 1 and 2 after the update due to resyncing of "stuff" like music with the Xbox music client etc..    After day 2 it is significant better, but the drain *seems* still higher than before (not really well quantifiable). Now calm after day 3.
      * IE crashes in mobile and desktop mode   for example on the rtrip website while starting to load subpages referenced on the page. (https://www.gortrip.com/User/MyPage, then click for example  on an incentive link..)
       * IE tabs are "empty" after IE crashes (see screenshot)

MSFT

• Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:18 PM Merging Threads
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:40 PM
  • In this versión, when you close an application with the left arrow it doesn´t really close.

Try holding the left arrow button to start the "task manager" and close them with the "X"

It helped me a bit.

Lucas D. Luengo

Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:42 PM
  • My Lumia 820 is going down 1% on 5 minutes while I playing games in WP 8.1. Please Microsoft, fix the WP 8.1 Preview.
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:49 PM
  • Hi Lucas, everything ok? Tks for feedback...

Everytime I open an app I click on the "X" button or slide down to close.

Anyway, thank you!! If you have any more suggestions I'm here.

Best regards.

• Edited by Lumiyata Friday, April 18, 2014 3:10 PM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 12:13 AM
  • In this versión, when you close an application with the left arrow it doesn´t really close.

Try holding the left arrow button to start the "task manager" and close them with the "X"

It helped me a bit.

Lucas D. Luengo

Friday, April 18, 2014 2:12 AM
  • Some people are claiming that gmail account syncronization is responsable. Try changing to once every hour and see if helps.

Lucas D. Luengo

Friday, April 18, 2014 2:15 AM
  • HTC 8X --- with the 8.1 preview for developers drains the battery 10x more then before. Over the past two days i have changed settings over and over trying to find a main cause to the battery draining. So far i have nothing and i was wondering if anyone else had this issue and if they found a fix. Thats all, Thanks.
    Friday, April 18, 2014 2:28 AM
  • Downloaded and installed Win Phone 8.1 Tuesday, phone was dead Wednesday morning. It normally lasts 3-4 days on a charge. Charged it overnight and drove into work this morning; 30 minute drive; phone was warm when I got there and at 95% meaning about 10 hours of use at that rate. Decided to look into settings for something new that might be the cause. Found advertising id as the most strange "new feature" so turned it off. Phone was cool within five minutes. That was 5:00 am; it's now 7:46 pm and I'm at 82%. Looks like you need to take a look at advertising id and figure out why it's sucking seven times as much power as the rest of the phone.
    • Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:20 PM Merging Threads
    Friday, April 18, 2014 2:51 AM
  • Turning of advertising id in settings returned my phone to normal batter usage. See my post.
    Friday, April 18, 2014 2:53 AM
  • keeg1009 - I have a Lumia 920 and my phone is consuming a lot of battery too (Especially with Facebook Messenger) . Just for you know Facebook Messenger on my phone is consuming at least 80% more battery then others applications and my phone is going down to quickly. 

I tried to change the background processing configuration on top 3 applications of consuming but the scenario don't change significantly.  

I'm not a developer or specialist on mobile infrastructure but i belive that some applications need to be updated to work great with new features of windows phone system. For now i will shutdown this specific application to workaround this issue and use my phone. Because i need to use he :)

Do you have the same problem of battery consuming with a specific application or the all system?

Look the image below:

Friday, April 18, 2014 2:54 AM
  • My battery wasn't lasting as it did on 8.0, I disabled some background tasks to fix the issue but have advertising ID on. Wonder if it's a combination of some apps and advertising id causing the issue.

Friday, April 18, 2014 2:57 AM
  • Make sure you set up your background task options as the controls have changed and all these settings are reset. So you pretty much got everything running in the background and then some! Try that and it will come back to normal or at least improve significantly.
    • Edited by Zaitsek Friday, April 18, 2014 3:03 AM formatting
    Friday, April 18, 2014 3:01 AM
  • Hi guys , i had the same problem with my lumia 520 ,, and i fixed it by doing hard-reset,

because i had heat issue , i thought that its not a OS problem but a app is using CPU and ram at max level ,,  so i thought that a reset to my phone will fix this problem .. and it did ,,, i charged at 100% 8 hours before  ,,, now i turned on wifi for 10 minutes ,,, to download 40mb  some apps that was deleted on the reset .. and i lost only 3% battery and a 1% after 15 minutes ,, .. i think that its going normal ..  i suggest you to try it too ,,, in the first dont install any app ... to see how it will go ,, and then install them slowly ,,, and go to battery saver .. and turn all backgroud app to No in background ,,and reply back here . to see if you fix it

• Proposed as answer by Lucifer13 Friday, April 18, 2014 4:44 AM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 4:44 AM
  • my phone fixed too
    Friday, April 18, 2014 4:45 AM
  • after updating to wp8.1, the battery drains out. With 3g on, it lasts for 4 hours tops.

and it just keeps draining even if I just check my notifications. I have made sure to turn off the background tasks for unwanted apps.

• Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:11 PM Merging Threads
    Friday, April 18, 2014 6:21 AM
  • after updating to wp8.1, the battery drains out. With 3g on, it lasts for 4 hours tops.

and it just keeps draining even if I just check my notifications. I have made sure to turn off the background tasks for unwanted apps.

Does the situation improve if you turn off 'advertising id'?

Friday, April 18, 2014 6:44 AM
  • Seems to be a Lumia issue with WLAN always connected, even while on lockscreen. Probably has to be solved by Nokia, not by Microsoft?!

See also: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c850a52d-73e4-40c5-8d0b-3daa24c0d417/wlan-always-connected-under-lock-screen-gt-battery-drain?forum=winphoneosissues

• Edited by PenzelAn Friday, April 18, 2014 8:45 AM
    • Proposed as answer by snaray Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:27 PM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 8:45 AM
    • Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:29 PM Merge Thread
    Friday, April 18, 2014 8:48 AM
  • I can confirm that on my Lumia 925 the option is also missing while on my wife's HTC 8X it is present.
    Friday, April 18, 2014 9:26 AM
  • I have 920 and the setting has been removed from my phone as well!
    Friday, April 18, 2014 9:50 AM
  • I have a 1020 and this option doesn't appear for me now either.

IRB

Friday, April 18, 2014 10:09 AM
  • Hi All,

After updating preview version of windows phone 8.1, my mobile lumia 925 is getting hot very much, even am not able to talk by keeping close mobile to my ears, after some times am feeling like my ears are burning..

And the saddest thing is that my mobile is draining battery like anything, it is being dead within 5-6 hours even at stand-by mode also. It is also taking a long time to get fully recharged.

I do not what to do, i checked every setting already, no result..Now i have to carry USB cable every time am going out.

• Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:17 PM Merging Threads
    Friday, April 18, 2014 11:26 AM
  • A lot of people are experiencing this with the 925 (and other devices) some things that people have reported success with.

Turn off anything you're not using including radio's like NFC

Turn off Settings\Advertising id

Turn off Wifi Sense under Settings\Wi-Fi

Disallow ALL programs that don't really need to run in the background in Settings\Battery Saver under Usage (and don't forget to click Show all Apps to see the complete list.

Did anyone try a hard reset

Wait for Microsoft to release an update as this is a developer preview

Friday, April 18, 2014 12:03 PM
  • Check BATTERY SAVER - the HI consumption apps will be @ the TOP.

eMail seemed to reset sync to 'based on my usage' which was polling constantly & consuming a lot of Battery. Legacy apps (under Battery Saver) need background tasks adjusted (not allowed / allowed).

Friday, April 18, 2014 12:20 PM
  • Yes, @Lucas, you are correct. In this WP8.1 the app is not CLOSED on pressing the physical BACK button. But it is 'tombstoned'. That is, it is there in the memory but not running. Apps in memory but not running also consume battery but that is very insignificant. They are there so that they can be restarted quickly since the app need not do all that initialization.

Of course the app should take advantage of this feature and I don't think current apps, most of them, don't do it properly. So, till the devs update their apps to take advantage of this they may still take same time and energy while restarted. Still when they are not active, unless they have some background tasks, they shouldn't drain battery.

But still WP OS, unlike iOS, doesn't allow more than 10 apps in that task list and so it shouldn't be a concern.

Even before WP8.1, any time I find my battery is draining fast, almost all the time it was due to background apps. Of course there are other factors and you can check them also as follows:

1. Bluetooth
    2. Location
    3. NFC
    4. WiFi

You should switch off them when not necessary, if you are a moderately use them. Now with 4 buttons in the Notification Center, that is more than easy.

ThanQ...

Friday, April 18, 2014 1:32 PM
  • I don't use gmail. Anyway my outlook is configured to synchronize only once a day.
    Friday, April 18, 2014 3:13 PM
  • This is a result of my personal analyzis I did.
    Phone (Samsung ATIV-S) updated to WP8.1 + Hard reset.
    It looks something in the firmware/radio is not good... 

- No activity - no calls, SMS, etc. -
    - few background tasts (3-4) enabled like weather -
    --------------------------------
    Switched to 3G Network (H symbol)
    10:48 ... 83% (+00 min, +0% ) starting
    11:10 ... 81% (+12 min, -2% )
    11:25 ... 79% (+15 min, -2% )
    11:40 ... 78% (+15 min, -1% ) 
    11:55 ... 77% (+15 min, -1% )
    1 hour => -6%  
    12:55 ... 70% (+60 min, -7%)
    1 hour => -7%  
    Now switched to 2G Network (E symbol)
    13:30 ... 69% (+35 min, -1%)
    13:55 ... 69% (+25 min, -0%)
    1 hour => -1%  
    Now switched to WiFi (WiFi-sense disabled)
    14:30 ... 68%
    14:55 ... 68%
    1 hour =>  0%  

Summary:
    on 3G Net:  ca.  6%/hour (ca. 15 hours battery life!)
    on 2G Net:  ca.  1%/hour 
    on Wi-Fi :  max. 1%/hour
    • Edited by Radim Fryč Friday, April 18, 2014 3:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Lucifer13 Friday, April 18, 2014 7:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lucifer13 Friday, April 18, 2014 7:11 PM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 3:18 PM
  • ok @sm_on_live, you might be right. But the point is, that in 8.0 I never turned off location, wifi, or nfc and my L920 battery lasted 3 days (using battery save mode by night). And with 8.1 I disabled lots of features and background tasks and battery still lasts less than 1 day.

There is something wrong with this version. That is clear.

Lucas D. Luengo

Friday, April 18, 2014 3:22 PM
  • I supposed it was a firmware and network problem in theory, but with this analisis now it's a fact...

We've just to wait the OEMs...

Friday, April 18, 2014 3:34 PM
  • @Lucas, I do partially agree blaming it on OS.

I mean this preview is only for pure software feature testing. But a user experience is not just dependent on software. It depends on the collaboration between software and hardware. Since there are no hardware updates done (I mean OEM driver updates), these problems are expected.

But if the power drain issue is so prevalent, I am sure MS will be looking into it. So please provide the phone model so that those folks will get an idea on the hardware influence also.

ThanQ...

Friday, April 18, 2014 4:00 PM
  • OS DEVELOPERS,

one main problem of  windows phone 8.1 is battery issue,so kindly fix this issue in next update.

thanking you, 

Friday, April 18, 2014 4:25 PM
  • high battery drain after updating to WP 8.1 is not an isolated problem its all over the fourums

im pretty sure this is the problem with geofencing.

geofencing is a new feature in windows phone 8.1 the phone keeps on checking your location continuously even though the app doesn't require it example IE , whats app etc pretty much any app. this is just like using nokia drive for 4 hours and your battery dies. constant use of gps reduces battery life and heats up the phone for no reason.

when ever this feature is accessed the phone does this in the background( the location icon on the top bar is not displayed how i know this is because it says so in settings-location )

How do i know its the problem with geofencing

heres a little experiment you guys can try out ( please don't mock this post if you haven't tried this out)

turn off location and use your phone normally for a day and you'll notice the battery performance is like pre update. and phone does not heat too.

• Changed type zany7 Friday, April 18, 2014 4:38 PM mistake
    • Merged by Kevin J SModerator Friday, April 18, 2014 11:55 PM Merge
    Friday, April 18, 2014 4:37 PM
  • I would second that something very wrong. A phone should not die in 5 hours with everything off and in airplane mode. The reviews wowed me so much but left the battery part.

dreams are just alternate realities

Friday, April 18, 2014 4:52 PM
  • My phone was 4h stand-by and sucks 70% of battery!! Hope the leak gets found... (@Lumia 920.) This power consumption is not normal!!

Friday, April 18, 2014 5:00 PM
  • interesting. Two of my colleagues have upgraded their 920 and report equal or better battery power. Have you looked in the battery saver app to get an idea what's actually draining power? Also have a look at your background tasks

Joost van Schaik, Windows Phone Developer MVP

Friday, April 18, 2014 7:11 PM
  • That test you did .. u jut got my theory true . ..i think too that it is a firmware problem ... and the battery status sensor is not comunicating properly with the OS  and it is lieing to us .. we think that it drains a lot of battery because that is what it is showing to us ...but the real thing is that it knows how much capacity it has .. so

when it took 13% under 2 hours on 3G .. it understund that it was draining too much .. and minimized the next to hours at 1% per hour ... we have to wait for firmware and drivers from Nokia/Microsoft

i will do this test tommorow .. and i will reply back .

• Proposed as answer by Lucifer13 Friday, April 18, 2014 7:20 PM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 7:19 PM
  • I've also notice battery drainage, unplugged fully charged Lumia 820 after 6h need to be recharged again.

Backup. Factory reset. Recover. Switch to 2G, disabled localization, data. Phone is back to normal. In battery usage Phone app on the first place.

Just after upgrade battery was eaten by 6-8% by every 20 mins now is about 1-2% for 20 min

Friday, April 18, 2014 7:27 PM
  • my phone battery drain quickly
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 1:22 AM
  • Dear Gentleman,

I got same problem and I'm attached herewith photo hope that somebody can help me to find out what's going on?

My dearest Lumia 620 keep warming all the times, and discharge from 100% to 10% within 5~6h only ? What's wrong ?

Saturday, April 19, 2014 1:24 AM
  • Go to Sync setting and turn of all the setting and try. Also make sure if you have glance turned on then please turn it off. See if this helps.
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:50 AM
  • The battery drain issue you describe matches what a lot of  users are seeing, it should be running normal 48-72 hours after the update was done.  If you see severe battery drain after that, we'll want to know.

I clicked through the page you linked, and didn't experience any crashes when navigating to any of the sub-pages.  Some of the links were to PDF files, so you might want to double check that you have a PDF reader app installed.  If you do, try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

If it's crashing when going to just another webpage, it might be trying to load a cached page that isn't valid.  Clearing the browser cache and doing a soft reset might fix that.  Settings -> Applications -> Internet Explorer -> Delete History will clear the cache.  Power + Volume Down for 15 seconds will soft reset the phone.

Regards,

Kevin J S

Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:53 AM
  • Go to Sync setting and turn of all the setting and try. Also make sure if you have glance turned on then please turn it off. See if this helps.

My confusing is also about "Phone Usage" bar is full. Is there something wrong ? The battery Usage showing that "Phone" is the most drain battery, or am I wrong ?

I make 1 or 2 call, and I don't think that cause too much battery drain like that.

By the way, thanks you for your advised. I'll try and feedback to you.

Best regards

Update : battery still drain crazy fast. With 1 hours lost 8%, After turn off and check battery status (have bend, warp or damaged or not) but still good, battery warm. Then turn on and remain 75% ??

Fully charge :

After Restart :

• Edited by Vipcanabis Saturday, April 19, 2014 4:34 AM Update
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:54 AM
  • My 920 is dead after trying to charge with the charging plate.  Even the Nokia Recovery Tool hasn't been able to revive it.  I think the best thing is to keep it plugged in and avoid the wireless charging.  I'm really bummed I can't even try any of the features out now that I have a paper weight :(
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:25 AM
  • Is there anyone could help me ? Im going to lost hope and thinking about to switch to another phone.

Disappointed :

• Proposed as answer by Melmot(c) Saturday, April 19, 2014 5:59 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Melmot(c) Saturday, April 19, 2014 6:00 AM
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 4:52 AM
  • My phone's battery depletes within 6 hours of no use. i have everything uninstalled. only stock apps. no wifi or data. i cant understand why it is doing this

Same power problem for me. Disabled everything I could from background tasks but still only 6h standby time on my 620. Makes it a bit hard to use it as a phone. On 8.0 I usually had ~ 2 days of standby.

Time to get a battery rucksack or wait for a patch.

Saturday, April 19, 2014 5:59 AM
  • Guys, take a chill pill and don't worry, because you are not the only ones.

A lot of people are experiencing a sort of battery issues after updating to WP8.1. I'm sure that Microsoft already know about it and they are thinking really hard about a solution. 

I did a test.

On WP8 I did a hard reset and charged my phone to 100%. Everything was disabled - wifi, cellular, gps etc. I left my phone on standby during the night and the consumption rate was about 0,5%/hour. During heavy use (wifi, games, music) I could get a full day or more after a full charge.

I updated to WP8.1 and did a hard reset. Then I fully charged my phone and left it on standby with wifi, cellular, gps etc disabled. The consumption rate was about 6% per hour. During use I got only 5 hours after a full charge. 

This is not a normal situation. I guess it may be connected to the Black firmware which is not designed to work with WP8.1. We need to bear in mind, that Windows Phone 8.1 DP is only a system update and it does not contain a firmware update. New firmware will be included in Nokia Cyan update. 

• Proposed as answer by kszyhuw Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:46 AM
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:46 AM
  • I was having major battery drain with my 1520 until I went to Settings>Sync My Settings and turned everything off plus turned off Apps I didn't need running in the background, now it's running like it did pre-8.1

Hopefully the upcoming Nokia "Cyan" firmware will boost overall 8.1 performance.

Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:58 AM

A lot of people are experiencing a sort of battery issues after updating to WP8.1. I'm sure that Microsoft already know about it and they are thinking really hard about a solution. 

I did a test.

On WP8 I did a hard reset and charged my phone to 100%. Everything was disabled - wifi, cellular, gps etc. I left my phone on standby during the night and the consumption rate was about 0,5%/hour. During heavy use (wifi, games, music) I could get a full day or more after a full charge.

I updated to WP8.1 and did a hard reset. Then I fully charged my phone and left it on standby with wifi, cellular, gps etc disabled. The consumption rate was about 6% per hour. During use I got only 5 hours after a full charge. 

This is not a normal situation. I guess it may be connected to the Black firmware which is not designed to work with WP8.1. We need to bear in mind, that Windows Phone 8.1 DP is only a system update and it does not contain a firmware update. New firmware will be included in Nokia Cyan update. 

Obvious. However the main problem is with the 3G connection, in fact using airplane mode the consumption in idle is 0% in 8 hours. With 2G less than 3%. With 3G it's a tragedy, 5% in half an hour, with data on...
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 12:42 PM
  • Noticed on my friends 920 the gmail was continuously trying to update which was draining his battery
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 1:33 PM

I did a test.

Obvious. However the main problem is with the 3G connection, in fact using airplane mode the consumption in idle is 0% in 8 hours. With 2G less than 3%. With 3G it's a tragedy, 5% in half an hour, with data on...

That's right. I experienced it too. But it's not that after using airplane mode it's not draining the battery. Of course, this trick helps a bit, but have a look.

I charged my phone at 8 am. At 9 pm it still showed 100 %. I checked time since last charge and it showed 1 hour (it should be 13 hours?) When I used IE suddenly it was 5 % and I had to charge it. Weird.

I read on other forums that some people's phones with WP8.1 showed 100% battery for the whole day, and when they wanted to launch something, the battery went from 100 to 10% in a couple of minutes. 

Maybe the battery monitor hangs or somehow turns off? It would be great if Microsoft gave an announcement or something on this matter. Many phones are overheating and they discharge very fast. After some time it can break a phone, can't it?

Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Getting very weird battery levels since the preview such as critical low warnings while the phone is plugged in and different readings in the notification center and battery sense after coming off the charger when it should have been 100%. Anyone else seeing things like this?
    • Edited by Dyoel182 Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:25 PM
    • Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:45 PM Merging
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:23 PM
  • battery is discharging very fast

i recharge lumia 920 four time in one day

Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:35 PM
  • after updating tow WP 8.1 battery 🔋 drains do fast
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:48 PM
  • I have Lumia 625 phone battery 🔋 is discharging very quickly. Can you help me plz
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:55 PM
  • I have two Problem's with my nokia lumia 920 after up data 8.1 :

1- battery is discharging very quickly .
    2- Device get too hot without any running app .

note : this Problem's Did not get before in wp 8 :(
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:45 PM
  • My Lumia 820 battery is draining much faster after the update, my phone on 4G was lasting about 6 to 8 hours, now I'm lucky if the phone lasts for 4 hours on 4G, in 3G th phone still draining so much battery, and is heating a lot with basic tasks, like open twitter, facebook or even my email.
    Sunday, April 20, 2014 3:15 AM
  • My work around: finetuning "battery saver" and STOP setting: location services 
    -> right now: the battery draining down close to WP 8.0x
    Sunday, April 20, 2014 9:37 AM
  • My work around: finetuning "battery saver" and STOP setting: location services 
    -> right now: the battery draining down close to WP 8.0x
    Sunday, April 20, 2014 9:39 AM
  • I have a 928 as well. Spent two days on the battery drain issue. For me it was the new default setting for my email syncs. It went to a "sync per you usage." Changed it back to one per hour and it back to normal. Hope this helps.
    • Edited by rblev25 Sunday, April 20, 2014 3:19 PM
    Sunday, April 20, 2014 3:17 PM
  • There is now a diagnostics app you can use to send problem reports to microsoft

http://www.wpcentral.com/help-make-windows-phone-better-official-diagnostics-app

Sunday, April 20, 2014 3:44 PM
  • I actually have this problem after resetting the phone. I suspect that Geofencing is draining the battery, isn't it?

TimTim

Sunday, April 20, 2014 6:23 PM
  • Same massive battery drain here on ativ s. Funny thing is that I use my phone so little that battery saver is reported as the app with the most battery usage...

Anyway, found a very interesting comment about this that I had observed on my phone too. Email accounts stay in endless attempt to sync. This goes on even in sleep mode and heats up the phone. The suggestion is to delete accounts that do this and reboot. Then re install them. I am doing it now and will report back.

Sunday, April 20, 2014 6:25 PM
  • Same problems on a Lumia 925. battery was lasting on WP8 about 2 days, now only 8 hours with 8.1. This is starting to be rea;y a serious problem Microsoft. 
    Sunday, April 20, 2014 6:50 PM
  • Same big problem. My lumia 925 was lasting for about 2 days before WP8.1, now 7-8 hours. Hope MS fixes this soon as this turns out to be a major issue. 
    Sunday, April 20, 2014 6:54 PM
  • I  have disable all apps that run in backround, and did everything in order for my phone to act ,,normal" as before. My Lumia 925 lasted for 2 days, now only 8 hours. Its not about going to settings/battery and turning on/off tasks, too many ppl have this problem and looks like its not going away Microsoft. 
    Sunday, April 20, 2014 6:57 PM
  • Same problems, Lumia 1020, installed 8.1 developer preview and now the battery drain is roughly 1% per minute, that added to the fact that 8.1 doesn't truly support VPN means I'm just resetting the to factory settings.

Monday, April 21, 2014 12:59 AM

• No one is denying there is an issue but there are things that can be done in the mean time to increase the battery life and things people are suggesting are worth a try. My battery life has been very good since tweaking the settings. I'm suspecting it's related to something I'm not running, wouldn't be surprised if it was something like Facebook....

Anyway it's easy to say something isn't working but if people really want to help Microsoft fix the problem, try narrowing down what the problem is....though I'm sure they have some idea...

• Edited by shoey5 Monday, April 21, 2014 1:25 AM
    Monday, April 21, 2014 1:21 AM
  • Similar issue.  1020 runs flat in about 8~10 hours.  it lasted a few days before.

Podcast app appears to be the battery drainer on my handset.  I will look for other threads, but podcast app seems like broken as well. 

Monday, April 21, 2014 4:12 AM
  • This is confirmed. once I removed the problematic accounts that were syncing all the time battery life is back to normal. 

Having added the mail accounts back has solved the problem. They do not stay in endless syncing status. So, check your accounts and do as above. Should correct the problem.

Monday, April 21, 2014 5:44 AM
  • Hey M a big fan of windows phone n the 8.1 update is awesome but the battery is draining rapidly n please can't we bring the old fb integration back the app isn't that good as the earlier integration!!!
    • Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:33 PM Merge Threads
    Monday, April 21, 2014 5:50 AM
  • Yeah! Same issue with me. After Upgrading to Developer Preview Battery Draining as Fast as Moto GP Racing. Also Live tiles keeps reloading after exit any apps. Sometime Reboots when browsing with IE11.
    Monday, April 21, 2014 6:15 AM
  • There are many threads about battery life, unfortuantely Microsoft is ignoring the issue. Sometime email sync is stuck and and reboot might help, or a bad behaving background app. The first few days might be special, too.

But it still sucks a lot here, and non of the problems apply.

Maybe we should all send diagnostic logs about battery using this app here:

http://www.wpcentral.com/help-make-windows-phone-better-official-diagnostics-app

Oliver

Monday, April 21, 2014 7:29 AM
  • El mismo problema con Lumia 925, La batería no dura mas de 8 horas. La próxima semana vuelvo a instalar Wp 8.0 asi no se puede continuar.
    Monday, April 21, 2014 10:40 AM
  • Remove Whatsapp and Facebook App for Windows Phone. Its worked for me.
    Monday, April 21, 2014 10:44 AM
  • Justo el mismo problema con mi Lumia 925, yo no puedo aguantar así una semana mas, es imposible, casi no uso el teléfono y se agota la batería sola, he seguido todos los consejos que he leído en  internet y el problema no mejora en nada.
    Monday, April 21, 2014 10:53 AM
  • Its still available within battery saver. You can check battery saver app to find out the apps running in the background and limit them.
    Monday, April 21, 2014 11:21 AM
  • Same problem here with my LUMIA 920. Totally useless phone since install 8.1.
    Monday, April 21, 2014 11:44 AM
  • crosspost:

Besides camera problems that many others seem to have also, I noticed that my phone tends to heat up more then before. It used to get pretty warm when running some intense apps like Microsoft's card games (*cough*) but now every-day-tasks like what's app or the new internet explorer manage to get to the same heat level. Is not getting burning hot but certainly to a uncomfortable state. In the same sense the battery usage seems to take a hit as well. In idle my battery is still pretty good and didn't change for the worse. But surfing the web or chatting over what's app quickly gets to a usage up to 20-25% per hour or even worse.

Is this something where we have to wait for Samsung to get up their a**, or is it maybe the new hardware acceleration that is responsible for the battery hit?

Monday, April 21, 2014 1:30 PM
  • Some people say that you have to wait for an update from Microsoft, others say that you have to wait for an update from your phone's manufacturer. 

The problem here, as I see it, is also Microsoft's total silance and ignorance of the subject. At least say something: we are working on it, is OEM's fault...anything....but they just prefer to shut it. Im pretty tired that in 2 hours my phone is down 20%. 

• Edited by AlexIures Monday, April 21, 2014 5:13 PM
    Monday, April 21, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Has anyone been able to figure out how to solve these issues with the 920 after the 8.1 update... its near unusable. I have tried both a hard and soft reset, and neither of them have improved the battery life. I used to get 18+ hours of battery with medium use, now I get less than 10 with almost no use...
    • Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:22 PM Merge Threads
    Monday, April 21, 2014 8:54 PM
  • This is already happening to a lot of people on different devices. There are tips and tricks to try and increase a bit your battery life. One good topic is this one:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7252d7a5-affe-4e74-9d3c-9a55ccb5ca7b/battery-draining-faster-after-windowsphone-81-update?forum=winphoneosissues 

Read trough it and you will find some answers but dont imagine something to fix the problem, just how to increase your battery life by 1-2 hours. I have already HardReset my phone.....and that didn't work. 

I am still shocked (I shouldn't be, I know) about the lack of reaction from MS ( an advice, a sign that they know, that they are working on it, that is the OEM's turn to fix it ANYTHING), but they just keep ignoring the commoners and peasants ........  nothing out of the ordinary unfortunately. 
    • Edited by AlexIures Monday, April 21, 2014 10:49 PM
    Monday, April 21, 2014 10:48 PM
  • Try turning Location Services Off
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:04 AM
  • The Issue seemed to be linked to Location services. I disabled the location services which also disables cortana, I have noticed cooler operation & Longer battery life.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:06 AM
  • The Issue seemed to be linked to Location services. I disabled the location services which also disables cortana, I have noticed cooler operation & Longer battery life.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:13 AM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:14 AM
  • I'm using a Nokia 810 from tmobile and this has happened to me at least two times. The phone get's really hot, I can't wake it up unless I remove the battery. Once I get it back on I can see that the battery has gone down dramatically. I have not found the cause yet. I never had any issues before the 8.1 update.

Ctitanic ultramobilepc-tips.com

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:37 AM
  • I have an L920.  Since installing the 8.1 dev preview my battery life has been all over the place.  Usually (work or home) my battery has lasted into the night.  Now two or more things seem to be happening in concert.  When I closely monitor the tabs in IE11 I can get it to last a normal amount of time while I'm at home all day.  Plenty of battery to spare.  So much it was a little shocking considering the following incidents.  When out driving around and working most of the day this weekend somehow it died, from completely full and utterly unused(I was moving someone around town), to completely dead in about 6 hours.  Maybe related to the handshaking with the cell towers?  That freaked me out.  It's never done that before.  During a work day, I just can't get it to last past 6pm.  I've tried wifi on, wifi off, IE11 tabs closed (helps a LITTLE), no cortana, a variety of other things.  Can't break the 6pm mark (about 11 hours unplugged) no matter what I do while at work.  I was easily hitting 18 hours with regular use before the update.  Now with FAR less use, I'm not even close to pre-update battery life.

Maybe this little guy just needs a "Network" update from nokia or better firmware optimization with the new OS.  Either way.  Something is DEFINITELY wrong.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:43 AM
  • As many more, i have (sometimes) issue's with my Battery life.

Last 2 days im running with cellular data (4G) only. And my Battery life improved insanely.

At the moment, with average use, i get only 1.2% drainage per hour. this is exactly like before the Dev Update.

is there Anybody here that can confirm this?

• Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:28 PM Merge Threads
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:17 AM
  • Recently migrated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 Developer preview. Battery gets exhausted very soon even without any of the activity in the phone. Need a lot of improvements in saving the battery life. Expecting a good life on battery and as well as some pretty interesting feature in the actual Windows 8.1 release.

Regards, Avinash.R

• Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:44 PM Merging
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:03 PM
  • Actually,i don't think you will get access to windows phone 8.1 again.Although you may get Bug fixers...
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Since installing the developer preview on April 14, my Lumia 920 has also been suffering from heavy battery drain and extreme heat.

However, from my experience I have to disagree with those that claim the drain and the heat are caused by location services.

I've been trying to figure why this happens and after a week I have come to the conclusion that the main cause is 4G cellular access. Whenever my 920 is connected to the cell network via 4G and I use it to do anything, even just waking it from stand by, it starts to heat up significantly and lose 1% charge every 2 to 3 mins. Stand by time is also shortened severely, around 40% for the same ammount of time versus 3G or 2G.

This battery drain and extreme heat does not happen when it's connected via 3G or 2G network. I noticed this because at home I only have 3G and 2G access from my provider and these issues didn't manifest themselves, while when I'm at work I get 4G access and both the battery drain and the extreme heat are constant.

I can only presume something was done on the OS side that causes issues with the 920's radio hardware while on 4G, some part of the software that was changed and does not play well with the Lumia Black firmware.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Taran83, stop acting like a stupid 3 year old. Ty

Yeah......it must be something regarding the OS, unfortunately nobody found a resonable solution. I dont use Cellular network that much, 90% of the time is turned off and i use WIFI but that doesnt resolve my problem. 
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:30 PM
  • Same battery problem on my Nokia Lunia 920.

Before DP 8.1 (while using Windows Phone 8) I would typically see 1-3 % discharge per hour, and finish the business day with 20-40% remaining.  This was with intermittent phone use, occasional e-mail, occasional maps for 'local' trips, no games, no music, no x-box - i.e. strictly business use.  (Note I do have ~ 4,000 contacts, most with multiple phone #s, addresses, etc.  No problems, very snappy response.  This has been the chief benefit of having a WP phone!)

Only pre DP 8.1 problem (while on WP 8) was that when on longer highway trips (between NYC & Phila for example) discharge would jump to 10-15%/hour, & the phone would get unbearably hot, even while mounted in front of the A/C vent in my car.  Then, it would discharge and shut down, and not even recharge until the phone body had cooled.  Recharge was so slow that it could not be used for maps until left turned off in the charger for 1-2 hours - a real drag.  The cause of this highway discharge seems to be the radio(s?) searching & jumping from one tower to another.  (I'd bet the map apps also give the signals from fringe cell towers priority over GPS signals, and then search desperately for stronger signals as the map apps go into route revisions along local roads) 

By the way, my phone is usually on a Qi charger about half the business day, & 8+ hours per night, & on the car charger ~ 5-8  hours per week. The car charger outputs ~500 - 800 miliamps.

I upgraded to DP 8.1 about 4 days ago - Results are a disaster:  Now I consistently see 5-15% discharge per hour in normal business use.  Any use of Cortana or maps (Here or Microsoft) seems to bump discharge up to ~15-25% / hour, & TOTAL discharge in 4-8 hours, (or 3-5 hours if off charger.)

Failed discharge solutions include:

- Disabling background activity for all apps,

- Disabling Cortana (helps some),

- Not using maps, wifi,or location helps some,

- Frequent soft resets did not seem to make any difference,

- Deleting all alarms (which had been carried over from 8) & entering only 6 new alarms seemed to help a little, but not much,

- Resetting e-mail accounts (one MS exchange server & 3 POP accounts) to sync only every hour didn't seem to help much.  (Note DP 8.1 reset all e-mail syncing to 'according to my usage, and this seemed to be a power eater)

- Two hard / factory resets did not help me at all (although other NL 920 owners have reported relief)

In Summary:  DP 8.1 has great promise, but now it seems unworkable - worse than a beta.  The causes of the excessive power drainage seem to be dynamic - based on some interplay of factors.

I regret it seems I'll have to revert to WP 8.0 until MS & Nokia can get this straightened out.

Arthur
    Artzznyzz @ optonlline.net

PS,
    Is anyone posting solutions here?
    Is Microsoft reading these, or responding??

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:48 PM
  • I encountered a similar issue with my Samsung ATIV Neo. I deleted all of my email accounts, rebooted, and added them all back. Seems to have corrected the constant syncing issue and ridiculously quick battery drain.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:49 AM
  • After updating to WP 8.1, my battery life isn't what it once was. I find the phone getting very hot randomly while performing the most trivial tasks, something which never happened before. The battery on my Lumia 1520 was incredibly long-lasting, but unfortunately that isn't the case any longer.
    • Merged by Eli A Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:47 PM Merge
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:38 PM
  • I get the same issue after updating my Lumia 620 to WP 8.1. Something was getting my location (by GPS) so many times (maybe is Cortana?), so a turned off the location and now is normal.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:36 PM
  • I had this problem until recently (last Friday or Saturday I think), when it fixed itself. The only change to my phone around that time was an update to the Xbox Games app, so either that fixed it or something that was running in the background sorted itself out by then. Perhaps others can confirm whether the app update fixed it, or if other people are having their phones settle down after a while and run normally with respect to battery life.
    • Proposed as answer by CDRJohnShepard Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:03 AM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:02 AM
  • I updated to 8.1 this morning and I am finding my Lumia 920 running hot (really hot), even when the screen is off and its not in use, and draining the battery rapidly. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

On the upside I can start porting my apps to winrt. until my phone burns up anyway ;)

p.s. I have tried resetting the phone to defaults + hard reboot. Verified I have no apps running in the background when I turn the screen down and set it on my desk. Always hot in any case.

I also experiencing same problem after 8.1 update my 920 is getting very hot when i used cellular data connection and battery drain faster then usual. 
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:32 AM
  • After installed WP 8.1 for developers I noticed my battery lost 6 or more hours. Lumia Black had 26 hours, now I experience 17-20 hours. Please fix that. Apps are set to be inactive when hidden or something like that, sorry I don't know the exact word for that.
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:59 AM
  • After installed WP 8.1 for developers I noticed my battery lost 6 or more hours. Lumia Black had 26 hours, now I experience 17-20 hours. Please fix that. Apps are set to be inactive when hidden or something like that, sorry I don't know the exact word for that.

I see the same problem too. Not to mention that the phone gets heated up too!!
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:27 PM
  • I have the same issue with my 920, tried turning background tasks off, but not helped much.
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:27 PM
  • I have the same problem.
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

I've removed all the tiles from the main screen, and then put only the non-live tiles like phone messages and contacts on the main screen. So far this appears to slow down the quick draining of the battery in WP8.1dp.

My lumia 620 was draining the battery in 2.5 days with wp8, after the update to wp8.1 it lasts barely a day, but after cleaning the tiles and disable all the background notifications and actions (even on battery saver app), it now lasts almost 2 days in the same usage conditions.

• Edited by Luizapper Friday, April 25, 2014 2:26 AM detailing procedure
    Friday, April 25, 2014 2:17 AM
  • I was going 3 to 4 days without charging my Nokia 1520, after 8.1, I turned everything OFF manually, keep it off, have display brightness set manually to low, turned off every radio, nfc, bt, loc, everything OFF, glance off, removed nearly every live tile and even with very LIGHT use, I barely get over 27 - 32 hours out of the 3400mah battery.

All of this started immediately after 8.1 preview - also, tiles are smaller, I dont like that much.

Saturday, April 26, 2014 10:45 PM
  • @ Art,

Great post, very clear, with good detail. I hope MS is reading these posts.

I hate to say it, but I don't think you can downgrade to WP 8.0 now.

This is portion from the WP Dev page. Have a look at point #3.

Important notes

There are a few key items that you must understand before you update your phone:

• After you install a preview update, you may void any warranty from your mobile operator and OEM.
    • A preview update only includes the Microsoft portion of the update; mobile operator and OEM driver updates will be available when the official update for your phone is available.
    • You cannot revert or return to a prior operating system release version after you have updated your phone to a preview update. We will move you forward to a "released state," but we cannot take you back to a prior "released state."

EDIT: I'm in the UK and all we can get is the Dev version. So, apologies for my reply, if you guys in the States have the real deal now (I wouldn't know it the published version is downgradable). I do know that we have to wait till summer for it.
    • Edited by eirlysbill Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:35 PM
  • I have the same issue with my 1020.

Prior to updating to WinPho 8.1 my average battery drain rate was around 3.5-4% per hour. i would easily get 24 hours life out of a single charge even with frequent use.

After the update it was 15% and higher. The biggest drain seemed to occur when reading web pages in IE. Not sure if it was IE, the screen or a combination of the two.

Anyway I performed a full factory reset and restore my backup and the situation is a little better. At present my battery drain is around 9 to 10% per hour. Still much too high but better than before.

This is a significant issue, i look forward to a fix.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:46 PM
  • Please test to see if the phone is broadcasting a wireless SSID even if internet sharing is off.

I am see this scenario on my phone.

Jeff

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:18 AM
  • Hello Folks,

We are asking folks that have their email accounts stuck syncing to please post to this thread, and let us know exactly what you are seeing so we can investigate that issue separately.

Thread:   http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/988a48bb-59b7-45b7-b2e0-f92bad56b585/gmail-support-just-as-bad-or-worse-in-81?forum=winphoneosissues

Thank you,

Eli A.

Windows Phone Support - Support Delivery Manager

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:56 PM
  • I had similar overheating and battery drain problems, which were being caused by Wifi (I turned everything else off, and then Wifi was the only suspect).

My phone is now always "Wifi Off" and the battery life is great (similar to battery life before installing 8.1 Preview).

Try disabling Wifi, then doing a restart (for safety) and see how long your battery lasts.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:20 PM
  • I had similar overheating and battery drain problems, which were being caused by Wifi (I turned everything else off, and then Wifi was the only suspect).

My phone is now always "Wifi Off" and the battery life is great (similar to battery life before installing 8.1 Preview).

Try disabling Wifi, then doing a restart (for safety) and see how long your battery lasts.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:21 PM

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:21 PM

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:22 PM

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:22 PM

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:24 PM
  • I have a 920 on AT&T. The second option "Keep Wifi on when screen times out" does not show up for me!

The only solution for me was to permanently turn Wifi off.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:25 PM

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:27 PM
  • This is the right solution, at least for Lumias.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:28 PM
  • I can confirm when my Lumia Icon is draining and really hot, I find it is broadcasting a ssid like internet sharing is on. Internet sharing is off and it won't even let me toggle it on and back off because I don't have a tether plan with Verizon. Sometimes a reboot will fix it.
    Friday, May 2, 2014 12:27 AM
  • me also with 1520
    • Edited by Romeop Saturday, May 3, 2014 1:07 AM
    Saturday, May 3, 2014 1:07 AM
  • I'm experiencing the exact same issue. I've tried "everything" (and don't have Cortana in Europe).,Still gets hot as h*** and eats battery.
    Sunday, May 4, 2014 7:01 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

We’ve released a new build to the Developer Preview program.  This update includes several improvements based on the feedback we’ve received .  Please update your phone and let us know if you still experience issues.

Blog post about today's update:
    http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2014/05/14/update-to-windows-phone-8-1-preview-for-developers.aspx

How to check for updates:

1. Go to Settings
    2. Open Update Phone
    3. Check for updates

Thank you,
    Eli A.

• Edited by Eli A Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:45 PM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:43 PM
  • Same issue. I think Internet Explorer could cause the problem. Battery is dropping very fast when the problem occurs. Just updated to the 2nd beta release. Will see if this still happens.

Update: