Scan for Hardware Changes RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this in the XP Embedded forum but so far nobody has answered.  Thought I'd give it a go here.

Can anyone give a quick description of how to kick off a "Scan for Hardware Changes" operation like the one that is available in Device Manager?  My application is for XP Embedded but I'm pretty sure it'd be the same for standard desktop XP applications.

I have an IDE CD-ROM attached to my SBC that can be powered off and on by a temperature sensor/controller when the unit gets out of temperature specs. It's possible that the unit can boot up with the CD-ROM powered off and then be powered on at a later time when it reaches ambient temperature.  When it is powered back on by the temperature controller, Windows XPe isn't recognizing that it has come back to life. But if I do a "Scan for Hardware Changes" in Device Manger then it comes back and my program receives a DeviceChange / DEVICEARRIVAL event.

Anyone know how to initiate this operation in Visual C++??  I'm really trying to not have to reboot the unit.

Thanks in advance!
    -Russell

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:34 PM

All replies

• Help!

I posted this question on one of the other forums, and someone replied to it but I cannot find the answer now.

Does anyone know the answer to my question above?  Or can someone direct me to the forum for XP Embedded?

Thanks!
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:21 PM
  •  

Try microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel

Brian

Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:24 PM
  • Found the answer finally, thanks to Google!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259697
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:25 PM