dll search order RRS feed

• Question

• I hope this is a resonable forum in which to post this question...

I ran a Visual C++ program that reported a missing DLL (MFC70D.dll). I located the DLL on another machine and copied it into the same directory where the application program resides. I then ran the program again. It appears to now locate the previously missing dll. But it now reports a different missing DLL (MSVCR70D.dll). I located that one an copied it into the application directory. But when I run the app it still says it can't find it. Shouldn't it have found it?

Doesn't the search path for DLLs start in the same directory as the ryunning application?

What is the solution to my problem?

Roger Garrett

Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• What version of VS is your application built with? Are you trying to run the application on the same machine you built it? If not, does it run on the same machine you built the application?

Thanks,
    Ayman Shoukry
    VC++ Team
    Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:14 PM
  • Maybe you should copy the MSVCP70D.dll file too?

The MFC DLL files required to run an application can be listed with Depends.exe tool located in one of Visual Studio directories.

Friday, July 21, 2006 7:11 AM
  • Anyway! This DLLs are Debug version DLLs. You are not allowed to redestribute those files. Build a realease build, either with a static binding to the MFC and CRT or ship vcredist_x86 too to bootstrap the install DLLs.

http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/vcredists_x86.asp

Friday, July 21, 2006 11:08 AM