lightswitch design interface increases very slowly, to wait 20 minutes before you can add! RRS feed

• Question

• When my data source has more than 150 tables, with an average of about 15 fields in each table, each table field names and descriptions are added later, when I was in lightswitch screen design interface involves more than 10 tables and all contain between data sources, to increase screen items. Need to wait more than 20 minutes! When I put all of the table's field names and descriptions deleted, Lightswitch screen design interface is very fast, almost without waiting! What is the problem then?
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:49 AM

All replies

• I have found the same problem. It is clearly related to the complexity of the screens and the wait can be 10 minutes or more.

In another thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/lightswitch/thread/233d7ca1-a6d3-49af-bc46-4c134998aa03  a workaround is given, but I am not familar with writing VS Extensions. And even then I would like to se this workaround approved in some way by the Lightswitch team.

Can someone from MS confirm the problem and possibly point to a workaround?

Best regards,

JensBo

Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:33 PM
  • This is a MAJOR problem!  My datasource has only 50 or so tables.  Upon opening a screen designer that has several queries, local properties etc. in the screen members collection, I experience a 20-40 minute wait if I try to add or change anything on the screen designer!!!  Once the initial wait has passed everything is fine until I leave the screen designer.  If I come back to the screen designer, after bouncing out to an entity or query designer for example, the wait happens all over again.  This behavior seems to be unique to LSv3 projects but I can't confirm that.  This is a show stopper and must be fixed immediately!!!!!

At this point lightswitch is cute if you have a couple tables with a couple of records, but anything approaching enterprise level data (many tables, tables with 100K + rows, complex modeled queiries) is a complete disaster!

Along these same lines, the LS Odata service craps out if you try to connect to powerpivot or otherwise try to export ~50-75K+ rows.  From what I can tell, this is not just a client timeout issue.  Again, everything works great if you have small tables with up to 1-2K rows.  It would be helpful to know what the LS client (silverlight) is doing to cause the bottleneck with Odata and client exports.  If I connect powerpivot directly to sql server I can export 200K rows in seconds.

Sorry if this last part is a little off topic, but the LS frustrations are increasing in direct proportion to the complexity of my application!

Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:42 PM
  • ....  Upon opening a screen designer that has several queries, local properties etc. in the screen members collection, I experience a 20-40 minute wait if I try to add or change anything on the screen designer!!!  Once the initial wait has passed everything is fine until I leave the screen designer.  If I come back to the screen designer, after bouncing out to an entity or query designer for example, the wait happens all over again. 

I've noticed delays of several minutes in the screen designer as well like you describe it hear, but only on complex forms. New forms in the same project are not affected. Interestingly, when adding new fields using the runtime screen designer, there are no delays.
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Same here, SUXX.

In my opinion it could've something to do with multilingualism $()

Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:18 PM
  • @mf_falkao:  Agreed.  I have no trouble with new forms, only the complex forms.

Friday, May 24, 2013 2:44 AM
  • @mf_falkao:  Agreed.  I have no trouble with new forms, only the complex forms.

Have you also tried the runtime screen designer on forms where you have delays?
    Friday, May 24, 2013 6:26 AM
  • I have had the same problem some weeks ago after upgrading my project to LSV3 format. I did not find a solution and continued working with LSV2 format (I don't have the requirement for an HTML Client so far).

Related thread is named "Screen Designer gets unusable on a complex screen after VS2012 Update 2"

Ralph

Friday, May 24, 2013 9:18 AM
  • @mf falkao:  I have tried the runtime screen designer and have not had any problems with it; just as you describe.

• Edited by Hessc Friday, May 24, 2013 12:55 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Another related thread here.  MS (Matt Sampson) has had some very limited success in repro (acknowledged that things get a little slower with complex queries) but he is not experiencing the types of delays that are being described in all of the related posts.   At least the team is aware that multiple users are having the same problem.
    Friday, May 24, 2013 12:53 PM
  • Yes I get this every time. Open a screen in the designer and its ages before you can do anything on it.

Only since Update 2.

Team, please could you investigate and expedite a fix?

Many thanks

Ian Mac

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:17 PM
  • I logged a bug on Connect.  ID#788781.  Hopefully I did that correctly.
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 3:51 PM
  • That's great thanks Hessc.

Past experience with regard to bug reporting for the SL client, in terms of actual fixes shipped, has not been the best. Some such bugs not cleared up go all the way back to V1 beta. Once the HTML client development got underway, many questions and enquiries went completely unanswered. Things promised were not and have not been delivered, despite direct appeals to the LS team.

So here's hoping that in this case someone is listening and actually puts things in motion to deal with it. Productive time spent in the designers is crucial, obviously.

I've lost count of the times that myself and others have pointed out that, while the HTML client is indeed most desirable and very promising, it is not mature enough for desktop LOB applications (yet); therefore, since desktop LOB is what SL was built for, it is incumbent on the Team, in my humble opinion, that they really get to grips with these issues.

Ian Mac

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:58 PM
  • In this particular case, MS has been trying to repro the issue but have been unable to so far.  Matt Sampson has attempted to build a large project similar to what has been described here and he is not experiencing the problem, but would like to get a sample of a project where this is occuring.  I am not able to send him mine due to work restrictions so I am hoping someone else will do so.  I have provided some steps to repro here.  If I am missing something, please add to it.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Beth Massi mentioned on a recent post that MS is looking to remove the dependency on single LSML files for both the client and server, and instead will separate these into smaller more manageable files.  I am not sure as to the granularity of the new LSML file contents, data source, entity and screens but hoping for all 3.

I would imagine that these will get composed back into a single set of lsml at build.

As I understand it, this is being done to provide better support for multi-team projects.  This may or may not resolve this issue, hopefully it does.  Expect more information to be announced at the up coming Build conference in late June.

Cheers

Johnny Larue, http://www.softlandingcanada.com

• Edited by John Kears Wednesday, May 29, 2013 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 5:46 PM