Multilingual page and indexing - how to think? RRS feed

• Question

• User-726075475 posted

How should I set up a page with multi language so the search engines don't get confused when they index the page?

My idea was to have a redirect from www.tournament.nu to e.g. www.tournament.nu/en for english and www.tournament.nu/sv for swedish.

Is it best then to have different master pages for the english and swedish pages with a different set of tags?

How do I tag the root page www.tournament.nu to attract search engines? Are search engines also redirected dependent on environment or do they index with the tags of the root page? How does it work?

Greatful for answers.

Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:03 AM

Answers

• User713711876 posted

I would suggest you have different pages for English and Swedish, but I don't think the master page will have much effect as it is the content of each page that the search engines are interested.

Each page in your site should be able to "stand on its own two feet" as far as search engine optimisation goes, so even if you do not have any optimizable text on your home page because of your redirect, your other pages will still get indexed in their appropriate language.

In an ideal world, you would have two domains and two web sites.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:52 AM

All replies

• User713711876 posted

I would suggest you have different pages for English and Swedish, but I don't think the master page will have much effect as it is the content of each page that the search engines are interested.

Each page in your site should be able to "stand on its own two feet" as far as search engine optimisation goes, so even if you do not have any optimizable text on your home page because of your redirect, your other pages will still get indexed in their appropriate language.

In an ideal world, you would have two domains and two web sites.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:52 AM
  • User-180320890 posted

if you show a page by a font (who is unknown for Search engine) then you can easily show it by using this technique

<html>
    <head>
    <title>@font-face example</title>
    <style>
    @font-face {font-family: "mildly-funky"; src:url("http://
    www.funky-fonts-are-us.com/newfonts/mild-funky"); font-style:
    normal, italic;}
    body {font-family: "mildly-funky", normal}
    h1 {font-family: "mildly-funky", italic}
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>