none
(503) Server Unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• We've been getting this from the spatial data services for almost 24 hours now:

[Geocode From Fields [331]] Error: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at SSISBatchGeocoder.Geocoder.ExecuteBingGeocodeFlow()
       at SSISBatchGeocoder.Geocoder.ExecuteBatch()
       at SSISBatchGeocoder.GeocoderTransformation.FlushCurrentBatch()
       at SSISBatchGeocoder.GeocoderTransformation.ProcessInput(Int32 inputID, PipelineBuffer buffer)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.ManagedComponentHost.HostProcessInput(IDTSManagedComponentWrapper100 wrapper, Int32 inputID, IDTSBuffer100 pDTSBuffer, IntPtr bufferWirePacket)

There doesn't appear to be any system status page for the Bing spatial data services - can anyone from MS give me an estimate on when this service will be available again? Geocoding is a rather fundamental part of our application, when the provider goes offline randomly it's rather disconcerting.

Friday, August 24, 2012 4:09 PM

Answers

• If you are an enterprise customer then contact the Bing Maps Enterprise support team. Their email address should show up in the Bing Maps portal on the left side panel.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Monday, August 27, 2012 4:38 PM

All replies

•  I'm assuming you are using the Batch Geocoding functionality. I haven't seen any reports from anyone else on this issue. Are you still seeing this problem?

Saturday, August 25, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Yes - we continue to experience the same issue. And yes, we are using batch geocoding. Specifically we're using an SSIS component from codeplex called SSISBatchGeocoder. It worked for us as recently as last Thursday, then started running into the 503 error intermittently, and then finally that is all we get anymore for the last several days.

Monday, August 27, 2012 2:14 PM
  • I tried one of my old trial keys from some of the sample app code and I can in fact connect fine, it's only when I try to use our actual paid usage enterprise app keys that it returns the 503 errors. We're getting a hold of our account rep to see what the issue is.
    Monday, August 27, 2012 2:47 PM
  • If you are an enterprise customer then contact the Bing Maps Enterprise support team. Their email address should show up in the Bing Maps portal on the left side panel.

Monday, August 27, 2012 4:38 PM
  • The end result of this was in fact a pleasant surprise.

Prior to the recent SDS changes we had been submitting our jobs in batches of 5000, and these had generally run 24/7 with no issues. With the new changes to SDS the lookup rate had improved substantially though, and now our jobs of 5000 were being completed so fast that we ran into the 50 job limit per 24 hour period. At that point we started receiving the 503 Server Unavailable error.

So, we adjusted our batch size to 75k, and it ran full tilt getting through all of our lookups in 2 days time. Previously that same number of lookups would have taken us approximately 1 month!

Anyways, just following up - thanks for the help Richard.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:11 PM