Is OLEDB for DB2 included in PowerPivot for Excel? RRS feed

• Question

• Is the OLE DB Driver for DB2 included with the install of power pivot?

Does the constraint still stand that we need have either SQL Server Enterprise or Host Integration installed on the machine with OLE DB for DB2? It wouldn't make sense to have to install on all end users' computer....

Any info that is available would be appreciated!

Thanks!

BobP

http://bobp1339.blogspot.com

Monday, March 12, 2012 5:54 PM

Answers

• IBM DB2 in the "Default datasources" is just to shortcut the creation of a datasource; otherwise you would have to select "Others OleDB/ODBC", select provider, configuring it ans so on.

It's just a shortcut; but note the icon of it, it's a grayed database instead of a golden one like for SQL Server and this it's because it's not a default provider of a default windos installation.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing

• Marked as answer by Challen Fu Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:42 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 6:42 PM

All replies

• Is the OLE DB Driver for DB2 included with the install of power pivot?

Hello Bob,

No OleDB provider is included in PowerPivot installation, of course; why should it? OleDB and PowerPivot are independant and completly different installation.

But within PowerPivot you can use any OleDB provider installed on you machine to connect to the datasource. So if you have installed te OleDB provider for DB2 you can use it in PowerPivot.

Olaf Helper
    Blog Xing

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:21 PM
  • My concern is that if you select Connect to DB2, the default provider selected is OLEDB for DB2.

However, most end users (and this is an end user tool) do not have the prerequisites for the OLEDB for DB2 provider. I was hoping that the prerequisites for the provider had been relaxed so that we could install on the end users machine.

Thanks
    BobP

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:24 PM
  • You have to install prequisitions like required OleDB provider on your own; that's not part of the PowerPivot installer. I don't use DB2, so why should PP install that provider? On the other hand I also use Oracle; so should PP install every available provider? Of course, no.

Olaf Helper
    Blog Xing

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Right, I understand that. I was not asking if it was installed, but if it was included and/or licensed with Power Pivot, since it's a default in the data source selection. 

It seems a little strange that you can select a data provider when it is not installed, which is what you can do in PP currently. Then after you setup the data source, it gives you an error that the provider is not installed.

BobP

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:31 PM
  • IBM DB2 in the "Default datasources" is just to shortcut the creation of a datasource; otherwise you would have to select "Others OleDB/ODBC", select provider, configuring it ans so on.

It's just a shortcut; but note the icon of it, it's a grayed database instead of a golden one like for SQL Server and this it's because it's not a default provider of a default windos installation.

Olaf Helper
    Blog Xing

• Marked as answer by Challen Fu Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:42 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 6:42 PM