Best Practice to deploy update packages on a production ASP.Net solution RRS feed

• Question

• User-2132672732 posted

Hi guys,

I've a production web site.  It was deployed/installed using a standard MSI project.  But now, I'll like to create a kind of MSI package containing only those components affected during a fix.  Everytime I fix something in the solution, I've to manually copy/paste all modified components (ascx,aspx,dll, etc) to the web server.  Of course, I've a staging area from where I can validate that my package is completed and I'm not missing anything.  But I'll like to avoid this manual-risky-prompt-error process.  That way my fixes packages will looks more professional and I could even have our web manager deploying fixes on this production box.

What folks do to deploy fixes? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• User-244713939 posted

You add a web installer project to your solution, then add a custom action within your application solution in this custom action

you add your contraints

Friday, February 26, 2010 8:06 AM
  • User-2132672732 posted

Hi Yougerthen,

Thanks for your reply, but can you post a quick sample or reference?

Regards

Friday, February 26, 2010 10:13 AM
  • User470413944 posted

Hi,

You can right click on your solution, Add -> New projects ... -> Other Project Types | Setup and Deployments | Web Setup Project to create a setup project.

And you can something here:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/SetupProject_I_WebSetup.aspx

I'm looking forward for your test result.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:55 AM