none
IntelliSense in Visual Studio 2015 (VB) not displaying all members from other classes

Question

• When editing code in one class, IntelliSense is only listing some of the members when refering to another class. For example, when editing code in one form, IntelliSense will not suggest controls on any other form, regardless of that control's protection level. I haven't been able to locate any text editor options to change this.

When the same project is opened in Visual Studio 2013, IntelliSense will display a more exhaustive list of suggestions, including members of classes within the project, but outside the class that is currentlt being edited.

Can anyone suggest how to enable this functionality in Visual Studio 2015 Express for Windows Desktop?
    Friday, August 19, 2016 1:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Anthoven,

This is a bug in VB intellisense, I have submitted a feedback to Visual Studio and .NET Framework Home. You could vote and comment it, which could help others who meet the same issue as yours. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Anthoven Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:22 AM
    Thursday, September 01, 2016 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi all.

When editing code in one class, IntelliSense is only listing some of the members when refering to another class. For example, when editing code in one form, IntelliSense will not suggest controls on any other form, regardless of that control's protection level. I haven't been able to locate any text editor options to change this.

When the same project is opened in Visual Studio 2013, IntelliSense will display a more exhaustive list of suggestions, including members of classes within the project, but outside the class that is currentlt being edited.

Can anyone suggest how to enable this functionality in Visual Studio 2015 Express for Windows Desktop?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:40 PM
  • Hi all.

When editing code in one class, IntelliSense is only listing some of the members when refering to another class. For example, when editing code in one form, IntelliSense will not suggest controls on any other form, regardless of that control's protection level. I haven't been able to locate any text editor options to change this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

It's a moot point: You shouldn't be trying to access controls on another form.

Further, that form shouldn't exist at design time. Create a new instance and only use that new instance, not the default instance. Pass information to it (if needed) and pass information back out of it.

Some people succeed because they were destined to, but most people succeed because they were determined to.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:52 PM
  • The problem doesn't just apply to controls on forms. Many members of classes are not suggested with IntelliSense, regardless of their protection level.

Regardless of good or bad programming practice, is there a way to re-enable all the member options in IntelliSence?

Friday, August 19, 2016 12:17 AM
  • The problem doesn't just apply to controls on forms. Many members of classes are not suggested with IntelliSense, regardless of their protection level.

Regardless of good or bad programming practice, is there a way to re-enable all the member options in IntelliSence?

First, please know that we don't all see this forum the same way. I am assuming you're talking to me (because I'm the only one here!) but otherwise it'd be confusing.

I don't have VS2015 so I can't answer that. There's another forum dedicated to support of the IDE though, so that might be a better place to ask. A moderator can move this there.

Some people succeed because they were destined to, but most people succeed because they were determined to.

Friday, August 19, 2016 12:20 AM
  • Thanks for your help.

Apollogies for not selecting the correct forum!

• Edited by Anthoven Friday, August 19, 2016 12:30 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 12:29 AM
  • Thanks for your help.

Apollogies for not selecting the correct forum!

I hope you get it worked out, but I do find that odd.

I use VS2010 and I've never seen that. Would you care to show something that might shed some light on it, even if it's for the other forum people to help answer?

Friday, August 19, 2016 12:33 AM
  • Hello,

I am moving your question to a Visual Studio forum. In the mean time check these options are checked under tools, options in visual studio.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, August 19, 2016 2:32 AM
  • Hi Karen. Thanks for your help.

Yes, I can confirm that both those optiones are selected.

Following up on Frank L. Smith's query, I'd gladly post some screenshots of the problem, but I am unable to until my account is verified. (I'm only new to the forum.)

Friday, August 19, 2016 9:20 AM
  • Hi Anthoven,

Please make sure that Form2 has been instantiated, only a object has been instantiated that we could call public members in it.

You could upload your screenshot to OneDrive and share a link in default text in this thread.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 19, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Hi Karen. Thanks for your help.

Yes, I can confirm that both those optiones are selected.

Following up on Frank L. Smith's query, I'd gladly post some screenshots of the problem, but I am unable to until my account is verified. (I'm only new to the forum.)

This thing has stopped sending me e-mails so unless I proactively just happen to look, I don't see new messages.

Anthoven,

If you want, I'll post a link to my FTP server. You can then upload the images there (I'll get you to set up a new directory so that it's obvious) and I'll then transfer those over to my HTTP site and post them for you.

Let me know and sorry for the delay - I had no idea that you'd replied.

Saturday, August 20, 2016 2:04 PM
  • Hi Karen and Frank,

I may as well explain the screenshots:

If I open any project in VS2013, IntelliSense gladly lists all members of other classes. If I open the same project in VS2015, IntelliSense shows me a restricted selection.

The screenshots simply showed the two different lists--so it's probably not necessary for you to see them.

• Edited by Anthoven Sunday, August 21, 2016 3:20 AM
    Sunday, August 21, 2016 3:20 AM
  • Hi Anthoven,

If this problem was caused by different versions of Visual Studio. Just as my reply, I suggest you had better share your screenshot to OneDrive and share a link in default text here. This method does not need to verify your account.

Above step could help me to repro your issue in my side.

Sincerely,

Oscar

Monday, August 22, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Hi all.

The full list of IntelliSense suggestions in VS 2013 can be seen in this screenshot here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1BXxDGRmQQiRGhoVS1qRjRrNmc

The restricted list that comes up in VS 2015 can be seen in this link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1BXxDGRmQQiVWV4TlBSdnIyMGs

Note that is is exactly the same project, the only difference being the version of Visual Studio that it is opened in.

I can try to provide any more info that you might need to solve the problem!

Thanks for all your help!

• Edited by Anthoven Monday, August 22, 2016 11:40 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 11:38 PM
  • Hi Anthoven,

According to the two screenshots, I have encountered the same issue as you. In VS2015, if I use class name of Form directly to call the controls that controls’ name will be not displayed in list box. But it is fine in VS2013.

We could around this issue by new a variable of the Form, this is a practicable solution. Please refer to the following code:

Dim targetForm As Form2 = New Form2()

And I have submitted a feedback to Visual Studio and .NET Framework Home, you could vote and comment it. Here is a link:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3076968

Sincerely,

Oscar

• Proposed as answer by qing__Moderator Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by qing__Moderator Monday, August 29, 2016 8:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Anthoven Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:27 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 5:01 AM
  • Hi Anthoven,

This is a bug in VB intellisense, I have submitted a feedback to Visual Studio and .NET Framework Home. You could vote and comment it, which could help others who meet the same issue as yours. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Oscar

• Marked as answer by Anthoven Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:22 AM
    Thursday, September 01, 2016 9:47 AM