none
Using an old tutorial in a new version of Visual Studio

Question

• I am reading C++ programming for the Absolute Beginner, 2nd edition, a library book. The pictures and instructions look different. I am told that too by the book, but I do not know how to apply the knowledge to the new version. 

I am stuck on page 8, where it talks about Creating a New Project. I should check the empty project box and click Finish. 

Somehow, it does not do what I expect, because I am supposed to get the Solution Explorer window. Actually, now I don't know how to open the project. 

Please help.

P.S. C++ feels harder than Visual Basic for Applications in Excel. They share lots of similarities, but C++ has lots of other stuff that VBA doesn't have for some reason. 

Sunday, May 08, 2016 2:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please tell me what's the version of you Visual Studio?

I take VS2015 as an example. About Creating a New Project, please follow the steps below:

• Create a project by pointing to New on the File menu, and then clicking Project.

• In the Visual C++ project types pane, click Win32, and then click Win32 Console Application.

• Type a name for the project.

By default, the solution that contains the project has the same name as the project, but you can type a different name. You can also type a different location for the project.

Click OK to create the project.

• In the Win32 Application Wizard, click Next, select Empty Project, and then click Finish.

• If Solution Explorer is not displayed, on the View menu, click Solution Explorer.

Reference for Walkthrough: Creating a Standard C++ Program (C++):

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235629.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, May 09, 2016 2:27 AM