How Add flyout menu above the local navigation. RRS feed

Answers

• Well, you can not use the SPD to access the SharePoint site. However, you still can perform the modification task if you have the permission to make changes on the master page.

1.       Open the site in a browser. On the site home page, select Site Actions, mouse down and select Site Settings. Under the Galleries heading, select Master pages.

2.       Download the master page you want to modify, say default.master, rename the file, for example CustomSite.master. Use a unique and easily identifiable name.

3.       Open CustomSite.master in Notepad or a similar code editing tool.

4.       Edit the HTML to change the look and feel of the site. You can copy & paste the HTML code of your custom menu in this step.

5.       Save the file.

6.       Open the site in a browser. On the site home page, select Site Actions, mouse down and select Site Settings. Under the Galleries heading, select Master pages.

7.       The Master Page Gallery loads. In the library toolbar, select Upload. Using the Browse button locate a custom created master page file either on the web server or a copy of the file on the local machine. Select Open.

8.       Continue through the add file steps. Once the master page file has been loaded in the Gallery, you can set this mater page as default master page.

If you want to wrap it into a feature, you have to create your menu from C#/VB code and add them to a specific location through coding.

Something like: this.CustomMenuLocation.Controls.Add(CustomMenu).

Further question related to coding, please go to development & programming: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/threads

Keep It Simple and Stupid.
    • Marked as answer by Chengyi Wu Friday, September 11, 2009 3:27 AM
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 3:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,
           Have a look at this article is it what you want to achieve ?

http://blogs.msdn.com/matjazperpar/archive/2008/12/17/how-to-create-custom-navigation-menu-in-sharepoint-with-xml-data-source.aspx

Regards
    Milan.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:17 AM
  • Michal,

Using out of box Sharepoint features it is possible to show the fly out menu on top navigation bar if you activate Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature in site collection features and Office SharePoint Server Publishing feature in site features

For more please follow the link, fly out menu for top navigation

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:49 AM
  • Hi,

I have created menu items using the designer. In designer I inserted asp:menu items at required place. This is what I want.

But I am not allowed to use SPDesigner. I want to achieve this using the some automated way like SP Feature. Is there any way to

achieve this?

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:00 PM
  • After activating above said features, Go to

Site Actions > Site Settings > Navigation (Under Look and Feel)
    In 'Site Navigation Settings' page under 'Navigation Editing and Sorting' section, you can see 'Add Heading' and 'Add Link' links side by side where Heading is for creating top menu and link is for creating sub menu

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:19 PM
  • Hi,

I want to add some of my custom menus to SharePoint master page just above the "TitleBreadCrumb" which is available to all the way on SharePoint site.

This is not a top navigation menu.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Well, you can not use the SPD to access the SharePoint site. However, you still can perform the modification task if you have the permission to make changes on the master page.

1.       Open the site in a browser. On the site home page, select Site Actions, mouse down and select Site Settings. Under the Galleries heading, select Master pages.

2.       Download the master page you want to modify, say default.master, rename the file, for example CustomSite.master. Use a unique and easily identifiable name.

3.       Open CustomSite.master in Notepad or a similar code editing tool.

4.       Edit the HTML to change the look and feel of the site. You can copy & paste the HTML code of your custom menu in this step.

5.       Save the file.

6.       Open the site in a browser. On the site home page, select Site Actions, mouse down and select Site Settings. Under the Galleries heading, select Master pages.

7.       The Master Page Gallery loads. In the library toolbar, select Upload. Using the Browse button locate a custom created master page file either on the web server or a copy of the file on the local machine. Select Open.

8.       Continue through the add file steps. Once the master page file has been loaded in the Gallery, you can set this mater page as default master page.

If you want to wrap it into a feature, you have to create your menu from C#/VB code and add them to a specific location through coding.

Something like: this.CustomMenuLocation.Controls.Add(CustomMenu).

Further question related to coding, please go to development & programming: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/threads

Keep It Simple and Stupid.
    • Marked as answer by Chengyi Wu Friday, September 11, 2009 3:27 AM
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 3:57 AM