none
Why does VMWare Workstation 7 hang when I boot it in "Windows 7 with Debug" mode? RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed VMWare Workstation 7 under Windows 7 Professional guest OS to my physical computer that is under Windows 7 Maximal OS. I did it for KMDF driver development and debugging. The physical computer is the host computer and VMWare is target one. But if I boot Windows in target computer (VMWare) in "Windows 7 with Debug" mode it is hanging with black screen and "Starting Windows" string on it. Below I write all steps which I took to configure VMWare after its installation.

- On VMWare I added serial port with named pipe. \\.\com_1 .

- In CLI on VMWare I had entered executed the following commands (all of them were successfully completed):

1) C:>\bcdedit.exe

2) C:>\bcdedit.exe /copy {current} /d @Windows 7 with Debug"

3) C:>\bcdedit.exe /debug {guid_obtained_as_the_result_of_previouse_command} on

4) C:>\bcdedit /debugsettings serial debugport:2 baudrate:115200

5) C:>\bcdedit /debugsettings

6) C:>\bcdedit.exe

In physical computer I went to the path "C:\Program Files (x85) Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x86>". So I entered in CLI On the physical computer:

C:\Program Files (x85) Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x86> windbg -k com:pipe port=\\.\com_1 resets=0 reconnect

Then I reboot VMWare with "Windows 7 with Debug" mode. After VMWare restarted I choose Debug/Break in windbg. And windbg dispalyed the the error message. I don't remenber about its content - something about symbol or character set. Then to continue the VMWare boot  I did kd>g in windbg and VMWare boot was completed. But now if I start VMWare Workstation 7 and choose "Windows 7 with Debug" mode when boot OS, then my virtual machine hangs with black screen and "Starting Windows" lettering on the screen. Why it does have palce? Please help.

Saturday, May 30, 2015 11:58 AM

Answers

• It is because VMware's hardware emulation sucks; it isn't a Windows problem. VMware does not officially support debug builds. There is a known problem in how they emulate video hardware. There is supposed to be a fix coming sometime this year.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Saturday, May 30, 2015 4:30 PM

All replies

• It is because VMware's hardware emulation sucks; it isn't a Windows problem. VMware does not officially support debug builds. There is a known problem in how they emulate video hardware. There is supposed to be a fix coming sometime this year.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Saturday, May 30, 2015 4:30 PM
  • Workstation 7 is quite old to support Win7 properly. Upgrade at least to 8.

Saturday, May 30, 2015 10:07 PM
  • You'll still have problems with the debug build on VMware8+, but it will work better. If you can run on Win8+ you'll be better off using Hyper-V, which doesn't have any of those problems

-Brian

Sunday, May 31, 2015 1:34 AM
  • Can Hyper-V work on 32-bit physical computers running under Windows 7 Maximal OS?
     As I know VMWare 8 doesn't run on 32-bit physical computer.
    Monday, June 1, 2015 5:50 AM
  • hyper v is a server feature and requires 64 bit

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 1, 2015 6:02 AM
  • Can I install VMWare 8 Workstation on 32-bit physical computer? Can VMWare 8 Workstation operate on 32-bit physical computers with Windows 7 Maximal OS? Is VMWare 8 Workstation comfortable for KMDF driver debugging or not?

Monday, June 1, 2015 6:15 AM