none
VSTO Deployment different platforms RRS feed

• Question

• I have an outlook add-in developed using visual studio 2010 VSTO.  The requirements are to have 1 setup package that installs the add-in to different platforms:  eg. outlook 2003, outlook 2007 ,windows 7,  outlook 2010 XP 64 bit... to name some.  What is the best approach to take to accomplish this task?  I had a visual studio 2010 setup project that targeted Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010.   That seems to work fine.  However, Outlook 2003 requires a separate setup project it seems.  How do I combine the 2 into 1.  Also, I noticed that when I disable the add-in, it does not appear as disabled.  This would then mean if I wanted to reactivate the addin I would need to run the setup.exe again.  Is there a workaround?

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi J,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Let me tell you some points that I have known:

1.       Outlook 2003’s add-in has a great deal of different than Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010.

2.       Outlook 2003’s add-in is more like a share add-in.

3.       Outlook 2003’s add-in will work fine under Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010.

4.       I don’t kind Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010’s add-in will work under Outlook 2003.

5.       Only Outlook 2010 has x64 copy.

6.       There are 3 types of the permutation and combination:

32-bit add-in -> 32-bit Window, 32-bit add-in -> 64-bit Window & 32-bit Outlook, 64-bit add-in -> 64-bit Window & 64-bit Outlook. And 32-bit add-in will not work under 64-bit Window & 64-bit Outlook.

I don’t think a project can fit all of the options. It seems that you need to develop different add-in to fit different permutation and combination of add-in , Window and Outlook.

For the general way to handle your issue is create different msi file to fit different environments and create a targetPlatform is x86 and include 32-bit add-in -> 32-bit Window’s msi files(include Outlook 2003 add-in, 2007 add-in, 2010 (x86) add-in) in it. Check the componentId to find the correct Outlook version to install correct Outlook add-in. Then create a targetPlatform is X64 project to include 32-bit add-in -> 64-bit Window & 32-bit Outlook, 64-bit add-in -> 64-bit Window & 64-bit Outlook’s msi files in it and Check the componentId to find the correct Outlook version to install correct Outlook add-in.

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  I'm not sure I understand entirely ...

1. Can I use the setup.exe through visual studio 2010 to create a package that depending on the user environment selects the correct msi package to install?
    2. With respect to the VSTO not showing up as disabled, should I be writing a COM app rather than using VSTO?

Thanks.

• Edited by J Wagner Friday, October 7, 2011 6:54 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 6:53 AM
  • Decided to use Innosetup, it's free. 
    • Marked as answer by J Wagner Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:41 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 9:01 AM