none
Outlook Add-ins no errors during install but stays inactive RRS feed

• Question

• We are a Microsoft Partner and have developed an Office Outlook 2010 plugin using VS2010/.NET 3.5 SP1/VB.NET. The add-in uses a third party installer (www.advancedinstaller.com) for installation.

Problem:

One of our Windows 7/Office 2010 PCs the add-in installs without any issues (no-errors) but remains in-active. There are no errors either when Outlook startup launch. The Add-Ins shows it in the 'Inactive Application Add-Ins'. If we go to the Manage COM Add-ins and attempt to load it, still no errors. We have confirmed the installers works okay on several of other PCs. Have made sure that Office is activated, PC is up-to-date on Windows Update, PC has the required prereqs (VSTO runtime).

Question:

How does one troubleshoot such an outlook add-in issue? How do I know what is it that its not liking?

• Edited by Anup Mistry Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:13 PM

Answers

• fusion logger (fuslogvw) is available on development machine, as it is a part of sdk tools. I would try first vsto_suppressdisplayalerts=0 as described here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms269003(v=vs.80).aspx

and then check with process monitor if outlook actually tries to read your plugin values from registry and finds it on disk.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Fusion logging would show if any dependencies are missing. Unless there's an unhandled exception in the startup handler that's where the addin would be disabled most likely.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "Eric Legault [Outlook MVP]" <=?utf-8?B?RXJpYyBMZWdhdWx0IFtPdXRsb29rIE1WUF0=?=> wrote in message news:2dcef9f7-0a03-4179-b3dd-138494f6f21c...

It's quite possible a required dependency referenced by the add-in was not installed or didn't install correctly.  When you highlight the add-in in the COM Add-ins dialog after an attempted load, is an error listed in the description area?  Did you check to see if it is listed in Disabled Items?

Does your add-in implement any logging to at least verify that the Addin Initialize or StartupComplete events are firing?

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Try Outlook Appins - affordable and easy to use!

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:17 PM

All replies

• It's quite possible a required dependency referenced by the add-in was not installed or didn't install correctly.  When you highlight the add-in in the COM Add-ins dialog after an attempted load, is an error listed in the description area?  Did you check to see if it is listed in Disabled Items?

Does your add-in implement any logging to at least verify that the Addin Initialize or StartupComplete events are firing?

About me...

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Fusion logging would show if any dependencies are missing. Unless there's an unhandled exception in the startup handler that's where the addin would be disabled most likely.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "Eric Legault [Outlook MVP]" <=?utf-8?B?RXJpYyBMZWdhdWx0IFtPdXRsb29rIE1WUF0=?=> wrote in message news:2dcef9f7-0a03-4179-b3dd-138494f6f21c...

It's quite possible a required dependency referenced by the add-in was not installed or didn't install correctly.  When you highlight the add-in in the COM Add-ins dialog after an attempted load, is an error listed in the description area?  Did you check to see if it is listed in Disabled Items?

About me...

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:17 PM
  • fusion logger (fuslogvw) is available on development machine, as it is a part of sdk tools. I would try first vsto_suppressdisplayalerts=0 as described here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms269003(v=vs.80).aspx

and then check with process monitor if outlook actually tries to read your plugin values from registry and finds it on disk.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Thanks for the help so far ... Added the environment variables and also loaded Windows SDK fusionlogw. This is the error that I get when activating the add-in. The fusionLogW does not show any assembly load errors; just stays blank.

******************************************************************************************

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v10.0, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Access is denied.

File name: 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v10.0, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

******************************************************************************************

So I tried to uninstall the VSTO_x64.exe, reinstalled, repaired but for some reason it is still giving me the same error.

• Edited by Anup Mistry Friday, December 14, 2012 5:21 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 5:21 PM
  • run process monitor, filer events for outlook only and try to load add-in again. See from where outlook tries to read Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v10.0 and what is the outcome of loading that file - Success or error, if latter, what error exactly, you can show us screenshot of relevant lines from process monitor
    Friday, December 14, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Its a lot of info, trying to decipher. By keywords. This is the CreateFile ACCESS DENIED for that file. I checked the physical folder C:\Windows\Assembly\ and that is empty. So the problem is it maybe looking for a file that does not exist.

File path in message below >> C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v10.0\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v10.0.dll

Error text

Desired Access: Generic Read
    Disposition: Open
    Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File
    Attributes: N
    ShareMode: Read, Delete
    AllocationSize: n/a

• Edited by Anup Mistry Friday, December 14, 2012 6:13 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 6:10 PM
  • plase try to navigate to that folder using command line, you won't be able to do it from explorer. Do you have such folder and that dlls inside? on my computer it exists and Builtin\users have read and execute rights. Can you check it on your computer? use icacls <dll name>
    Friday, December 14, 2012 9:33 PM