How to get more detailed errors from a UAT server ( IIS 6) RRS feed

• Question

• User369345748 posted

I have a web2.0 api application that works 100 percent  in local host & most of the api works when I publish it to a remote UAT server.  

A specific help page ( http:/myApi/Help ) returns a 401 for the url.  But gives no more information, than that !  How do I get the sub codes, and info on what precisely is being objected to ?  

Failed request Tracing is enabled and is writing nothing

Authentication should allow anyone

<authentication mode="Windows" />
    <authorization>
    <allow users="*" />
    </authorization>

error handling is set as follows

<customErrors mode="Off" />

<httpErrors errorMode="DetailedLocalOnly" existingResponse="PassThrough" />

Thanks in any advice given

Monday, June 20, 2016 9:47 AM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

HI Richard,

To enable logging on a Web or FTP site

In IIS Manager, double-click the local computer, double-click the Web Sites or FTP Sites folder, right-click the Web site or FTP site for which you want to enable logging, and then click Properties.

On the Web Site or FTP Site tab, select the Enable logging check box.

In the Active log format box, click a format. By default, the format is W3C Extended Log File Format.

Note

If you select ODBC logging, click Properties and type the ODBC Data Source Name (DSN) and the name of the table within the database in the text boxes. If a user name and password are required to access the database, type the necessary credentials, and then click OK.

Note

Logging to a UNC share is not supported by IIS FTP. You must configure the FTP log files location to a path on the local machine.

Click Apply, and then click OK.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:14 AM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

You should find the "substatus" code in the IIS log. See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6426375/where-can-i-find-the-iis-logs to find the log (and it is in a subfolder that depends on the site id). Check for the sc-substatus field.

Monday, June 20, 2016 10:50 AM
  • User369345748 posted

Hi PatriceSC ,  

Thanks for this.  I'd already  been looking at the IIS logs in the  \logs\LogFiles folder and my reading of the code details below 

401 0 0 202

is that the main status code is 401 and that the sub code & windows code are not logged & that the time taken was 202. I checked 

SystemDrive%\Windows\System32\LogFiles\HTTPERR

It is logging connectionIdle messages, but no 401 type codes

The Windows Event log is showing no recognisable problems.

The article on tracing looked to be specific to wcf.  I am using WEB API 2.0

Monday, June 20, 2016 11:20 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

HI Richard,

To enable logging on a Web or FTP site

In IIS Manager, double-click the local computer, double-click the Web Sites or FTP Sites folder, right-click the Web site or FTP site for which you want to enable logging, and then click Properties.

On the Web Site or FTP Site tab, select the Enable logging check box.

In the Active log format box, click a format. By default, the format is W3C Extended Log File Format.

Note

If you select ODBC logging, click Properties and type the ODBC Data Source Name (DSN) and the name of the table within the database in the text boxes. If a user name and password are required to access the database, type the necessary credentials, and then click OK.

Note

Logging to a UNC share is not supported by IIS FTP. You must configure the FTP log files location to a path on the local machine.

Click Apply, and then click OK.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:14 AM