Blue Screen Of Death... I've heard of but the Black Screen Of No App? That's a lot worse!

Question

• Well Here I go complaining again :D Any ways ... I have installed windows 8 developer preview on my computer and it's running fine but I cant open any metro app except for control panel, internet 10 and explorer(the non metro ones) and also all my non metro apps. So I need help because when ever I press an app I go to the windows store! do it again and same thing I want to open my app not the NON active store! well when I open up the app I just ran using left side click'n'drag to middle and let go which bring me to the app screen and then... I wait and wait and I see a black screen and nothing else click something anywhere I find the start screen ...very frustrating!
    Mkaa00x
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 6:12 PM

Answers

• Hey MohammadKaa00x,

Users in the thread linked below have found two resolutions to this problem. The first being to refresh their PC. The second is to create a new user profile and switch to using the new user profile.
    Store App opens, when I start any app on Metro UI for a specific user account

If you don't have access to Internet Explorer 10 on the second account, Internet Explorer 10 may have become unpinned. You can pin it again by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Internet Explorer
    • Right click Internet Explorer (If you only have a touch screen: touch and hold you finger on Internet Explorer, drag your finger down until the Internet Explorer tile turns dark green, and then pull your finger away from the screen)
    • On the bar along the bottom of the screen, click Pin

Also thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. If you haven't already, can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Monday, November 07, 2011 11:10 PM

All replies

• I need help! Well i can run only control panel win explorer and internet explorer... I cant get the other's to work when they start ... i get the store icon nad then the screen i click start and click the app again... store again when i drag the app i opened from the left side and wait it goes to a black screen ... very diff from all the other questions... plz help... i am also a local account... i do NOT want to refresh my pc cuz itll delete all other apps remember? plz! Help!

Mohammad

Saturday, November 05, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Well i have 5 or six error codes :

1st is:

ErrorDescription=The interface is unknown.

ErrorType=0

ErrorTypeText=Generic error

ErrorNumber=800706B5

SourceFile=/js/settings_lib.js

Line=96

Character=5

DocumentURL=/defaultHost.html

OSProduct=Windows Developer Preview

OSVersion=6.2.8102.0

UserAgentString=Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; Trident/6.0;)

StackTraceAvailability=1

StackTrace=ms-wwa://microsoft.weather-8wekyb3d8bbwe/js/settings_lib.js:96:5           isSecondaryTilePinned

ms-wwa://microsoft.weather-8wekyb3d8bbwe/js/defaultNew.js:250:9           updatePinState

StackTraceHash=e02d16b0097ad3ac698cba5c6c445edb

PackageMoniker=microsoft.weather_1.0.0.26_neutral_neutral_8wekyb3d8bbwe

AppUserModelID=microsoft.weather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Weather.App

Last Is :

ErrorDescription=The interface is unknown.

ErrorType=0

ErrorTypeText=Generic error

ErrorNumber=800706B5

SourceFile=/js/settings_lib.js

Line=96

Character=5

DocumentURL=/defaultHost.html

OSProduct=Windows Developer Preview

OSVersion=6.2.8102.0

UserAgentString=Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; Trident/6.0;)

StackTraceAvailability=1

StackTrace=ms-wwa://microsoft.weather-8wekyb3d8bbwe/js/settings_lib.js:96:5           isSecondaryTilePinned

ms-wwa://microsoft.weather-8wekyb3d8bbwe/js/defaultNew.js:250:9           updatePinState

StackTraceHash=e02d16b0097ad3ac698cba5c6c445edb

PackageMoniker=microsoft.weather_1.0.0.26_neutral_neutral_8wekyb3d8bbwe

AppUserModelID=microsoft.weather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Weather.App

Help!!!!! plz

Mkaa00x
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Try update Windows and install latest update.

Did you install Windows by upgrade from Windows 7 or you did clean install?

Did you change or install anything before this problem happen?

For metro-apps that need Internet Connection, try connect to internet and remain connect for a while and then open them and refresh them for update.

Sunday, November 06, 2011 5:44 AM
  • hi there,

you can also try a refresh of your PC by using the control panel app.

it can fix this sort of problems without loosing documents.

keep us posted,

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 6:44 AM
  • Custom install on partition, latest updates and internet connection... i did install some apps but they all worked until i left it on for 10 hours straight tried to let my computer rest... nothing ( i do not want to refresh my pc for it will delete all non metro apps and the ones that i made in visual studio.
    Mkaa00x
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 6:00 PM
  • hi there,

you can also try a refresh of your PC by using the control panel app.

it can fix this sort of problems without loosing documents.

keep us posted,

PierrE.

Well the problem is that i have an adobe master collection licence that i dont want to loose. it says that it will delete any apps not from the app store... what will that include?

Mkaa00x
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 6:02 PM
  • There are a few reasons that we know why you can't open Metro Apps.
    1) Your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024 x 768
    2) You have turned off User Account Control.
    3) Your download of the operating system is corrupt. This error may be caused by a bad burn of the ISO.

Your options are:
    Reinstall the operating system by downloading and reburning a new ISO.
    Doing a refresh of your PC. (If this doesn't work, there could be a problem with the ISO as stated above)

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

Your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you still have the problem with your Metro Apps not opening.

It may be necessary to install the drivers from the manufacturers support site again, but test for each of the problems you have experienced so far before installing the drivers if they are needed again. After you install the drivers, test to see if your issue is resolved.

You will need to reinstall Windows Updates after the refresh.  

With the Refresh your PC option, user accounts, user data, and a small set of settings are preserved without the need to first back them up externally.

·          Local accounts, Connected Accounts, and cached domain accounts are preserved.
    ·          Data defined as everything outside of the following folders is preserved:
    o    \Windows
    o    \Program Files
    o    \Program Files (x86)
    o    \ProgramData
    o    Per user app data for desktop apps.
    ·          Settings configured during Windows Welcome and Personalization settings defined in the Windows Metro style Control Panel are preserved.
    ·          Lock screen background and the User tile are preserved
    ·          Windows Metro style apps are reinstalled automatically
    o    No need to download them from the store again.
    o    App settings are reset to their defaults

·          Legacy apps are removed unless they are preloaded by the manufacturer.
    o    At the end of the refresh process, an HTML file called “Removed Apps.html” is placed on the desktop with a list of all of the desktop apps that will need to be reinstalled.

Let us know if this helps to answer your questions.

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 7:14 PM
  • There are a few reasons that we know why you can't open Metro Apps.
    1) Your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024 x 768
    2) You have turned off User Account Control.
    3) Your download of the operating system is corrupt. This error may be caused by a bad burn of the ISO.

Your options are:
    Reinstall the operating system by downloading and reburning a new ISO.
    Doing a refresh of your PC. (If this doesn't work, there could be a problem with the ISO as stated above)

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

Your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you still have the problem with your Metro Apps not opening.

It may be necessary to install the drivers from the manufacturers support site again, but test for each of the problems you have experienced so far before installing the drivers if they are needed again. After you install the drivers, test to see if your issue is resolved.

You will need to reinstall Windows Updates after the refresh.  

With the Refresh your PC option, user accounts, user data, and a small set of settings are preserved without the need to first back them up externally.

·          Local accounts, Connected Accounts, and cached domain accounts are preserved.
    ·          Data defined as everything outside of the following folders is preserved:
    o    \Windows
    o    \Program Files
    o    \Program Files (x86)
    o    \ProgramData
    o    Per user app data for desktop apps.
    ·          Settings configured during Windows Welcome and Personalization settings defined in the Windows Metro style Control Panel are preserved.
    ·          Lock screen background and the User tile are preserved
    ·          Windows Metro style apps are reinstalled automatically
    o    No need to download them from the store again.
    o    App settings are reset to their defaults

·          Legacy apps are removed unless they are preloaded by the manufacturer.
    o    At the end of the refresh process, an HTML file called “Removed Apps.html” is placed on the desktop with a list of all of the desktop apps that will need to be reinstalled.

Let us know if this helps to answer your questions.

Marilyn

Tried... No Luck (PS i do not want to refresh my pc... btw my other one works ( an account on the same computer) something's wrong... os the other one i would have moved to but i dont have internet explorer 10 on there...

Mkaa00x
    Monday, November 07, 2011 4:28 AM
  • Hey MohammadKaa00x,

Users in the thread linked below have found two resolutions to this problem. The first being to refresh their PC. The second is to create a new user profile and switch to using the new user profile.

If you don't have access to Internet Explorer 10 on the second account, Internet Explorer 10 may have become unpinned. You can pin it again by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Internet Explorer
    • Right click Internet Explorer (If you only have a touch screen: touch and hold you finger on Internet Explorer, drag your finger down until the Internet Explorer tile turns dark green, and then pull your finger away from the screen)

Also thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. If you haven't already, can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Monday, November 07, 2011 11:10 PM
  • no clean install and yes I am always connected to the internet but no worries ill try a different post it seems to help alot more btw tnx!
    Mkaa00x
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 11:04 PM
  • Hey MohammadKaa00x,

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Internet Explorer

Steven
    This is what I need thanks!!! (ps. It pins the internet explorer nine... any ideas???
    Mkaa00x
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 11:06 PM
  • hi there,

just run "appwiz.cpl" (or go to control panel| programs | add/remove windows role and fonctionnalities) and check if Internet10 'Feature' is installed...that might just do the trick, even try a remove/add it again...

keep us posted.

PierrE.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 7:08 AM
  • hi there,

just run "appwiz.cpl" (or go to control panel| programs | add/remove windows role and fonctionnalities) and check if Internet10 'Feature' is installed...that might just do the trick, even try a remove/add it again...

keep us posted.

PierrE.

Thanks... but I havent tried yet... and could you help me on my store problem now??? there should be a link on the page some where

Mkaa00x
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:57 PM