AlwaysOn in SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, 

Currently I am exploring and testing out this new feature (AlwaysOn) in SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition since Microsoft unlock this feature in standard edition but with limitation. 

Here's the settings that I did and I already point the SQL connection to SQL cluster node in my application using ODBC :-

SQL Servers : SQL2016-1 (Primary server) , SQL2016-2 (Secondary server) and both servers are virtual machines but in different host machines. 
    Cluster SQL Server : SQL2016-C 
    Numbers of Availablity Groups : 4 (since I have 4 databases) 

Next, I encounter some connection issues when I open my application, mentioned that the database is not available.
    ----------------------------
    Scenario 1 :-
    I open 'Failover Cluster Manager' and check SQL2016-C that the current host server is on SQL2016-1 , but the databases already failover to SQL2016-2, vice versa. End up I have to manual failover 
    ----------------------------
    Scenario 2 :-
    I open 'Failover Cluster Manager' and check SQL2016-C that the current host server is on SQL2016-2 , but the databases remains at SQL2016-1, vice versa.
    ---------------------------

End up I have to manual failover repeatedly. Does anyone encounter such problem before on standard edition? Is there any extra configuration needed. Hope can get some advice here, else I am unable to move on from database mirroring. 

Many thanks and have a nice day. 

Best Regards, 
                Harn
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:39 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

First of all please note that Secondary DB wont be readable in  Standard edition.

I haven't installed any AVG on 2016 standard edition. I am sharing My knowledge in this scenario.

This is not the case for SQL 2016 that Host name wont update on WFCI. In an Availability group setup Current Host Server Name wont update until you make manual fail over on WFCI or restart the service ( not like SQL FCI).  When you make a fail over to Availability group in SQL Server  Current primary will become Secondary ( wont be readable in Standard Edition) . but in WFCI the host server will not update , if you use Cluster instance to connect your application  , which is connecting to a secondary that wont be accessible in Standard Edition. 

You need create and use Availability group listener to connect your application. An availability group listener is a virtual network name (VNN) to which clients can connect in order to access a database in a primary or secondary replica of an AlwaysOn availability group. Which will always point to current primary instance

AlWaysOn Availability Group Enhancements in SQL Server 2016

Thanks

Shabeer 

Thursday, April 7, 2016 5:59 AM