Installation on machines wit graphics card

Question

• Since there are no default drivers for ATI graphics cards. Windows 8 Dev preview fails to install on machines with graphics cards saying windows could not configure to run on your hardware. I think it fails to find required reso as with graphic card drivers my machine gives 800X600. I tried integrating Win 7 ATI drivers but no good. How can I solve this problem???
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:40 AM

Answers

• 1. Try downloading these drivers from Microsoft Update Catalog. I believe you need the ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 driver.

2. Expand the CAB file by using the following command:

C:\ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470>expand AMD64-en-20330855_c4c9f5

c7cb21f7832f5b98f85e655f92dc7a19c9.cab -f:*.* C:\ATI\

(This supposes that you've downloaded the CAB archive to ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 and created the C:\ATI for storing extracted files)

3. Now find all the EXE files and change compatibility options in their properties to Windows 7.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Thanks everyone for your support. I was finally able to get Windows 8 Dev Preview running on my system. Here is what I did

1. Open the given link and download first driver for Windows 7 (for different graphic card change search query you will need Internet Explorer for this )http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=ATI%205470.

C:\ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470>expand AMD64-en-20330855_c4c9f5

(This supposes that you've downloaded the CAB archive to ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 and created the C:\ATI for storing extracted files)

change file name if needed.

3. Use vlite to integrate these drivers into Windows 8 ISO Download tool won't work on this ISO. Use cmd way.

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:16 AM

All replies

• Are you installing on a desktop or a laptop?

If it is a desktop, are you using a dedicated graphics card or is it integrated into the motherboard?

rafael

Microsoft Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3)
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:55 PM
    Answerer

If it is a desktop, are you using a dedicated graphics card or is it integrated into the motherboard?

rafael

I have an ATI 6950 Graphics Card in my privately built desktop.  The latest ATI Drives for Windows 7 x64 installed with no trouble on Windows Development Preview - Windows 8.

John

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:19 PM

rafael

I have an ATI 6950 Graphics Card in my privately built desktop.  The latest ATI Drives for Windows 7 x64 installed with no trouble on Windows Development Preview - Windows 8.

John

I am installing on laptop so the graphics are integrated. ATI 5470 Graphic Card(512 MB). 

On my setup fails saying it "Windows could not configure to run on your hardware" and after reading the specs and some articles I could find the only thing that might be giving problem is my graphic card. I am also giving my specs below:-

Processor : Intel i3-350M ~2.7 Ghz

Memory : 3 GB DDR3

Graphics : ATI 5470 (512 MB Memory)

Network :

Wireless: DW Half-link(forgot version 1501 or 1520)

Ethernet : Realtek(Again forgot the version etc.)

Installation method used : USB driver (Used Windows 7 usb-dvd tool to make it for first time and second after integration of drivers I used the manual bootloader installation on USB).

Currently my System is running Windows 7 Professional Edition

Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:10 PM
  • 1. Try downloading these drivers from Microsoft Update Catalog. I believe you need the ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 driver.

(This supposes that you've downloaded the CAB archive to ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 and created the C:\ATI for storing extracted files)

3. Now find all the EXE files and change compatibility options in their properties to Windows 7.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:33 PM

Will I need to integrate the Drivers from here in my installation coz the installation won't succeed otherwise. I am using vLite to integrate drivers. Is there any log generated during installation which I can probably read/upload here???? 
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Thanks everyone for your support. I was finally able to get Windows 8 Dev Preview running on my system. Here is what I did

1. Open the given link and download first driver for Windows 7 (for different graphic card change search query you will need Internet Explorer for this )http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=ATI%205470.

(This supposes that you've downloaded the CAB archive to ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 and created the C:\ATI for storing extracted files)

change file name if needed.

3. Use vlite to integrate these drivers into Windows 8 ISO Download tool won't work on this ISO. Use cmd way.

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:16 AM