Team Foundation Services are not available from server [hostname]. Error 503.

Question

• Hi,

I have installed TFS 2010 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 server (which is also a Domain Controller). I have the intention of setting up Lab Management 2010.

However, I have the following error:

Team Foundation Services are not available from server [hostname].
    Technical information (For administrator):
     Error 503: Service Unavailable.

How can I fix this? I noticed the TFS Application Pool keeps stopping but even when I restart it, theree is no luck. Is this a port clash? I know from my ASP.NET experience that a 503 is usually down to app pool problems.

Thanks

Sunday, October 17, 2010 7:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Could you  check the Event Viewer to get the error why App Pool crashed? If you post the detailed error message, it will help to trouble shoot this issue.

Best regards,
    Ruiz
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com
    Monday, October 18, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Hi,

I just found what is very intriguing:

Application pool Microsoft Team Foundation Server Application Pool has been disabled. Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) encountered a failure when it started a worker process to serve the application pool.

The identity of application pool Microsoft Team Foundation Server Application Pool is invalid. The user name or password that is specified for the identity may be incorrect, or the user may not have batch logon rights. If the identity is not corrected, the application pool will be disabled when the application pool receives its first request.  If batch logon rights are causing the problem, the identity in the IIS configuration store must be changed after rights have been granted before Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) can retry the logon. If the identity remains invalid after the first request for the application pool is processed, the application pool will be disabled. The data field contains the error number.

Monday, October 18, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

Form the error message, the service account is not specified correctly. You can open TFS Admin Console to reapply the account.

Best regards,
    Ruiz
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!</> If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:29 AM
  • Hi,

I also have a same problem. When i reapply the account, I gives same error messages. "

Event ID:5059: Application pool Microsoft Team Foundation Server Application Pool has been disabled. Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) encountered a failure when it started a worker process to serve the application pool.

Team Foundation services are not available from server http://server:8080/tfs. Technical information (for administrator): The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable."

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:45 AM
  • Did you find a solution ?

np

Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:52 PM
  • In TFS Administration Console, go to Application Tier and change account might fix this problem.

totta wang

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:28 AM