none
How to setup debug environment RRS feed

• Question

• I'm first in this technology and Visual Studio. I wrote my first Word App using JavaScript in Visual Studio using Office Tools template "Office App". All things work fine. Debug run through code fine, also. All things ok.

Next, I need to setup some environment.
    1) I need debug my app not in just empty Word document, but with some content (tables, text and other data).
    2) Also, I need some custom XML parts will pre-installed to debugging Word file.

I tried custom DOTX, but do not understand where I can say VS 2013 to use it.
    "Command line arguments" in Debug section of manifest do not work for me without any error messages.
    (I tried to use /t key for word starting).
    Just start DOTX file impossible, because VS need EXE file.

Now, each time when I start my App, I need manually to insert Custom XML file to XML Panel
    and use CTRL-C to transfer testing data to debugging file. Can I avoid these steps?

Please help.
    Sunday, June 5, 2016 7:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Solar4,

1) I need debug my app not in just empty Word document, but with some content (tables, text and other data).

did you develop a vsto Addin or web Addin. did you try to load addin in word and open file that contain tables , text and other data.

2) Also, I need some custom XML parts will pre-installed to debugging Word file.

you can add a folder in your project and add your xml files there and when you need it you can use from there.

For more information please visit link below.

Debugging Office Projects

Regards

Deepak 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 6, 2016 4:11 AM
  • Hi, Deepak
    Thanks for the answer.
    1) I use JavaScript technology with Web Panel. It depend from JavaScript. Not VSTO.
    When I start debugging process, VS 2013 automatically start new document in Word, and insert my app into it.
    But how to say him to use my template when he make new document?

2) yes, I can add xml to my project folder. But each time when I start debugger it give me new empty Word file. I need manually navigate to this folder and insert XML file to document, before I start to test my code. I understand, that programmatically I can get this XML file from "the server" and inject it to document by JavaScript API. But this to complex for start-programmer and in the feature, I see many cases where I will use pre-defined templates and my app will start work with some real documents, not every time from scratch.
    Monday, June 6, 2016 7:56 AM
  • Hi Solar4,

it doesn't matter what kind of addin you are developing. when you first time run your addin from visual studio then you can open different word documents and your addin will be loaded in that. so at that time you have to just open that documents that contain tables, text and other data and you can debug on that.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 5:22 AM
  • Thank you for answer.
    I spent some time in experiments and many times read your answer.
    I try to understand what you say. But do not see anything.

I run my project into debug with VS 2013. (press F5).
    It made without errors. Then Word started with empty document.
    Then Web-panel appeared in right side. Then my App loaded successfully into this Web Panel.
    All things works.

Then I try to check what you said: Open other Word file with tables and texts.
    No any signs of App was appeared. I try to press buttons "Store" and "My Apps" in the ribbon of Word to see any changes. No any changes there.

Simultaneously, in different Word instance this Web-App runs in debug mode.
    What I lost in your answer? I feel I stuck here, but can't understand where exactly. Please help.
    Friday, June 10, 2016 4:59 PM
  • Hi Solar4,

please check and confirm that your addin is loading in other word files.

Go to the Developer tab in the Ribbon.

in the Addins group you will find com Addins.

check the list and make sure your addin is displayed here.

Regards

Deepak

Monday, June 13, 2016 8:37 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

In Com Addins I see "Visual Studio Tools for Office Design Time-Adaptor for Word".
    I don't know what is this and how I can use it. I suppose it for VSTO developing which isn't my subj. Other addins do not have involvement to developing (some PDF creators from third party products listed there).

And I believe, I do not develop COM Addin. Isn't it?
    I develop JavaScript Addin which not COM Addin.

I have MS Office 2013 sp1.
    I still do not have a way to load addin to any file instead empty one, which loaded during start debug process in Visual Studio.

Monday, June 13, 2016 6:26 PM
  • Hi Solar4,

please do not uncheck Visual Studio Tools for Office Design Time-Adaptor for Word.

the other thing I would recommend you that goto file menu.

select options then select Addins. then you will find a drop down menu there with the text "Manage".

select disabled items in that and click Go.

Find your addin displayed here or not.

Regards

Deepak 

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:02 AM
  • Hi Solar4,

I would like suggest you to check the suggestion given by them and if you think it worked for you then mark the suggestion as an Answer.

if you had seen the suggestions already and you still having a problem then please let us know so that we can try to provide you further help.

Regards

Deepak

Monday, June 20, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Hi Solar4,

For debug javascript Addins please visit the link below.

debug Office Add-ins in Visual Studio

Debugging JavaScript API for Office apps

Regards

Deepak

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:14 AM