none
Building excel VSTO add-in from XL2010 or higher RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm an experienced VBA programmer for the last 8 years. For a new add-in i wanna start writing it as a VSTO, i have the add-in already as a .XLAM. I have a couple of questions, since i'm new to visual studio:

- The vsto add-in should work with Excel 2010 or higher, for my customers that use 2007 i will continue using the XLAM. My feeling is that its to complicated to build a 2010 VSTO that also works with excel 2007. What are thoughts on this?

- When i build the VSTO in 2010 template, will it also work in Excel 2013 and higher?

-  Which .NET framework should i use? 

Regards,

Bart

Friday, October 16, 2015 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>How do i use the PIA's?  is this something i have to do manually?<<

Normally, we don't need to specific the Office PIAs manually. When you create the project, the Visual Studio will add the reference for you automatically. The scenario that we need to add the Office PIAs manually is when we want to use other Office product's PIAs in Excel VSTO solution.

>>also when i only use de VSTO for Excel 2010 and above combined with .NET framkework >=4?<<

As the table below, the difference that for the version of .NET framework is that it support Office 2007 when we use .NET Framework 4 or later.

Version of Office targeted by the project template

Target .NET Framework of the project1

Versions of Office that can run the solution

Required runtime on end user computer

Office 2010

.NET Framework 4 or later

Office 2016

Office 2013

Office 2010

2007 Microsoft Office system2

Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime

Office 2010

.NET Framework 3.5

Office 2016

Office 2013

Office 2010

Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office

More detail, please refer to article Eugene mentioned above.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 19, 2015 2:42 AM

All replies

• Hello Bart,

> My feeling is that its to complicated to build a 2010 VSTO that also works with excel 2007. What are thoughts on this?

You are on the right avenue. Don't forget to use interop assemblies that correspond to the lowest Office version to prevent any exceptions at runtime. You may try to call a new member which is absent in the old one.

Yes, the add-in build for Office 2007 or 2010 will work for 2013 as well. See Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office for more information.

Friday, October 16, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

Thanks!

How do i use the PIA's? is this something i have to do manually? also when i only use de VSTO for Excel 2010 and above combined with .NET framkework >=4?

Regards

Friday, October 16, 2015 8:59 PM
  • Hi,

>>How do i use the PIA's?  is this something i have to do manually?<<

Normally, we don't need to specific the Office PIAs manually. When you create the project, the Visual Studio will add the reference for you automatically. The scenario that we need to add the Office PIAs manually is when we want to use other Office product's PIAs in Excel VSTO solution.

>>also when i only use de VSTO for Excel 2010 and above combined with .NET framkework >=4?<<

As the table below, the difference that for the version of .NET framework is that it support Office 2007 when we use .NET Framework 4 or later.

Version of Office targeted by the project template

Target .NET Framework of the project1

Versions of Office that can run the solution

Required runtime on end user computer

Office 2010

.NET Framework 4 or later

Office 2016

Office 2013

Office 2010

2007 Microsoft Office system2

Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime

Office 2010

.NET Framework 3.5

Office 2016

Office 2013

Office 2010

Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office

More detail, please refer to article Eugene mentioned above.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 19, 2015 2:42 AM