Universal app in windows

Question

• HI ,

I have just started to develop in universal app. I have developed app in Windows  8 store apps and also developing Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 (SilverLight) Apps. I have few questions related to universal app in Windows . I have posted them below. Most of cases are related Single UI which is created in App. Share folder.

1. Is there any control in universal app like Pivot or panorama as like windows phone 8 and windows phone 8.1 (silverlight) have ?

2. which is best to design for data binding Listview or Listbox?

3. In c# we can write like

#if WINDOWS_APP
                welcometb.Text = "Welcome to Windows App";           
    #endif
    #if WINDOWS_PHONE_APP
                welcometb.Text = "Welcome to Windows Phone App";
    #endif

to get which app is there for XAMl  how can we determine that it is windows app and it is windows Phone app

4. For web there is word like responsive UI. to create there is media query to write css.
    I know css is same as we can create resource with <style> for xaml . I can get resolution form c# and I can create different UI for different resolution and I can visible collapsed according to resolution but is there any single way which automatically adjust according to design.? ( this question is related to data binding controls specially...)

5. I am new in MVVM. I have developed Windows phone 8 and WP8.1 app in normal way. But not with MVVM. I have search a lot but did not get any example which can make better understand of MVVM. I know what is MVVM. It is similarly of  MVC of Asp.net.

MVVM is

Model : Which describe data

View-Model : In simple word a bridge between Model and View.

View : A simple xaml page or user interface.

Which way is better or best to do code in Windows Phone 8 MVVM or Normal way?

Ref : Separate UI and app logic using the Model-View-ViewModel pattern

6. I have a transparent Image as Icon but still it display white background check below images

I - > Package.appxmanifest

Package.appxmanifest

II - > Display in start menu .

Display In Start Menu

Thank You...

shah

• Edited by MauliKShah Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:15 AM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:10 AM

All replies

• 1. Is there any control in universal app like Pivot or panorama as like windows phone 8 and windows phone 8.1 (silverlight) have ?

• Yes, still have Pivot for Windows Phone 8.1 RT only. But Panorama is instead by "Hub"

2. which is best to design for data binding Listview or Listbox?

• I think ListView is more flexible and more variable that you need.

3. In c# we can write like

#if WINDOWS_APP
                welcometb.Text = "Welcome to Windows App";           
    #endif
    #if WINDOWS_PHONE_APP
                welcometb.Text = "Welcome to Windows Phone App";
    #endif

to get which app is there for XAMl  how can we determine that it is windows app and it is windows Phone app

• No, You can't. If you need unique page for Phone Or PC, you need create for each.

4. For web there is word like responsive UI. to create there is media query to write css.
    I know css is same as we can create resource with <style> for xaml . I can get resolution form c# and I can create different UI for different resolution and I can visible collapsed according to resolution but is there any single way which automatically adjust according to design.? ( this question is related to data binding controls specially...)

5.I don't get it what you want to know :)

6. check this: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/aaa9573e-c9e9-4b2b-86f5-1a0f48fec5ec/windows-phone-81-transparent-tile?forum=wpdevelop

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 8:38 AM
  • 4. For web there is word like responsive UI. to create there is media query to write css.

5.I don't get it what you want to know :)

6. check this: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/aaa9573e-c9e9-4b2b-86f5-1a0f48fec5ec/windows-phone-81-transparent-tile?forum=wpdevelop

Hi, Thank you for reply,

I got my answer for Qsn 1 to Qsn 3.

But still have a doubt in Qsn 4 to Qsn 6

4. Responsive UI in Universal App :

• You need using Grid layout, let component using relative layout. Layout will automatic adjust to best fit.

Yes , with the use of grid control will automatically adjusted in screen. But When using Data binding with like Listview or other than what?

5. MVVM :  I want to know what is/are benefit/s to use of MVVM in app. If I am planning to develop app than how can I decide that I should develop with MVVM or without using MVVM. I have developed HelloWord with MVVM using Sqlite than I found I can easily develop same out put using less of code without using MVVM. ?

6. Transparent Tile :  So basically with your given link I found that transparent tile is only supported in Windows Phone. I can not use it for PC app. I should give it a background Color. Am I right .?

Thanks again for your support.

shah

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 4:53 AM
  • Please ask separate questions in separate threads, especially since several of your questions (i.e. ListView vs. ListBox and MVVM)  are discussion topics with many opinions but no definitive answer and others (i.e. Windows Phone specific tiles) would be better asked in other forums (i.e. Developing Windows Phone apps).

See Defining layouts and views and Quickstart: Designing apps for different window sizes for techniques and guidelines for handling different window sizes and resolutions.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 7:37 AM
    Owner