Application XXX.exe has encountered a serious error and must shut down. RRS feed

• Question

• I’m working on a CF 3.5 application and we are consistently seeing the good old “Application XXX.exe has encountered a serious error and must shut down.” problem.  There are no specific repro steps, it just happens once in a while (a couple times per day) during use.

I’m pretty sure it’s a problem in the depths of the Forms or Drawing pieces of the CLR, but that’s only a gut feel, and this app isn’t small enough to easily find the calls I’m making that are unearthing it.  This error is 100% untrappable by the CF app and the debugger doesn't break when it happens.  There is no information on the error, just a dialog that must be dismissed by a user, so a watchdog can’t even be used as a workaround.

I’m 100% convinced it’s a CF bug.  The fact I don’t get a trappable error is evidence enough of that, and its not like I’m the only one that has seen this.  This error has popped up now and then in CF apps for several years, only now it's affecting me.

What are my options here?  I know there was interest in open-source the CF several times over the past couple years, but that's never come to fruition.  If you open source it, I’ll go fix this issue.  If you give me the source code under super-secret NDA, I’ll go fix this issue. If Microsoft wants to fix it, I’ll provide you the  entire app code and you can stumble around for days trying to understand the app, stumble around for a few more days trying to replicate the error, and then try fixing it.

Whatever the option, I must get this fixed because it’s preventing a customer from shipping an entire new product line, so it's quite critical and costly for them.  “It's a known issue" or “It's an app problem" are not acceptable responses.

Friday, February 6, 2015 6:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It may be very difficult to come to conclusion as it is not working only in fewer conditions.

Please try to check 

1) Is it happening on specific device or OS versions

2) Have you given try with multiple devices and OS versions

3) Have you tested under different network conditions

4) Are you handling exceptions in your complete app(including service calls )

-Malleswar

• Proposed as answer by Jamles Hez Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jamles Hez Monday, March 9, 2015 10:03 AM
    Monday, February 16, 2015 8:00 PM

All replies

• Do you have enough memory to run this application?

check this: http: //blogs.msdn.com/b/davbaker/archive/2006/12/14/finding-windows-ce-bugs-with-help-from-dr-watson.aspx

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:05 PM
  • Hi ctacke,

I would suggest you to raise this at Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio , besides raise your feedback var email is also possible here: FAQs About Submitting Feedback

Besides, if the issue is quite urgent, please consider about payment support: Support. As I know if the issue is a bug/known issue, you will not be charged.

Thanks for your understanding.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 16, 2015 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

It may be very difficult to come to conclusion as it is not working only in fewer conditions.

Please try to check 

1) Is it happening on specific device or OS versions

2) Have you given try with multiple devices and OS versions

3) Have you tested under different network conditions

4) Are you handling exceptions in your complete app(including service calls )

-Malleswar

• Marked as answer by Jamles Hez Monday, March 9, 2015 10:03 AM
    Monday, February 16, 2015 8:00 PM