none
How to uninstall .net framework 3.5 from windows 2016 RRS feed

All replies

• Hi sakurai_db,

Sorry for the late reply.

For you issue could exactly reproduce, I have to update my server and re-install .net 3.5.

As a result, when I installed .net 3.5 successful and check it again in server manager, just like you shown to me, the option is grey. After researching, I find when you installed it, that will not support to uninstall as an activity component on server. I open powershell as admin and type in Remove-WindowsFeature (Get-WindowsFeature command will give you list of every role and feature which you can remove or install). It indicates that “X” is not be removed (because, it is included in your ISO binary when you installed it by a scource path like d:\scource\sxs).

Besides, as my understanding, The .NET Framework is a managed execution environment for Windows that provides a variety of services to its running apps. In general, you shouldn't uninstall versions of the .NET Framework that are installed on your computer. There are two reasons for this:

• If an app that you use depends on a specific version of the .NET Framework, that app may break if that version is removed.
    • Some versions of the .NET Framework are in-place updates to earlier versions. For example, the .NET Framework 3.5 is an in-place update to version 2.0, and the .NET Framework 4.7.2 is an in-place update to versions 4 through 4.7.1.

Sorry for your inconvenience and hope my reply would be helpful.

Br

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:54 AM
  • so there is no way to uninstall ???

I may need to do some testing for .net program with different version,

Thursday, January 17, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Hi sakurai_db

To review mine reproduce steps. The feature files for .NET Framework 3.5 (which includes .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0) are not available on the local computer by default. I downloaded a windows server 2016.iso file and extract it, copy the scource/sxs/ folder to my remote VM server environment, after that, install it by server manager.

I will keep researching for it and also hope if you find any info about this, please update here. we are willing to hear you and discussing with you.

Have a nice day J

Br

May   

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, January 18, 2019 8:32 AM