none
email from Microsoft Hotmail RRS feed

• Question

• Did anyone receive an email purported to be from Microsoft about an impending ending of their email account if they do not supply information about their account.  I have the email saved from a   jmalm@hotmail.com  
    Friday, June 17, 2011 2:13 PM

Answers

• I have no idea why you're asking about this in a forum for .NET Framework installation issues, but I'll give you my opinion.

IT IS BOGUS!!

ANY, and I mean ANY, unsolicited message you get asking you for sensitive or personal information is from criminals trying to get access to your identity or account for illegal purposes. You should NEVER provide any personal or sensitive information (like your SSN, account numbers, passwords, etc.) in response to such a request. Further, you should report this "phishing" attempt to the Hotmail administrators:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5232380_report-msn-hotmail-email-account.html

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:50 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Hi scroggin1,

Thank you for your post.

Microsoft employees NEVER contact a customer under a unsolicited situation. If a Microsoft employee send you an email, his email address will be at Microsoft instead of at Hotmail. Do not provide any personal information to this person who sent you an email purported to be form Microsoft.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 20, 2011 3:40 AM

All replies

• I have no idea why you're asking about this in a forum for .NET Framework installation issues, but I'll give you my opinion.

IT IS BOGUS!!

ANY, and I mean ANY, unsolicited message you get asking you for sensitive or personal information is from criminals trying to get access to your identity or account for illegal purposes. You should NEVER provide any personal or sensitive information (like your SSN, account numbers, passwords, etc.) in response to such a request. Further, you should report this "phishing" attempt to the Hotmail administrators:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5232380_report-msn-hotmail-email-account.html

Friday, June 17, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Hi scroggin1,

Thank you for your post.

Microsoft employees NEVER contact a customer under a unsolicited situation. If a Microsoft employee send you an email, his email address will be at Microsoft instead of at Hotmail. Do not provide any personal information to this person who sent you an email purported to be form Microsoft.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 20, 2011 3:40 AM