none
Reverse DNS RRS feed

• Question

I have an azure virtual machine running my mail server. I use nameservers from " Hurricane Electric Free DNS Management" when i wanted to configure reverse DNS in their DNS server, they advised me to contact you in order to have reverse DNS for my IP addresse to be delegated to them. is this possible? how can i proceed ?

Thanks,

@AzureSupport

Friday, January 8, 2016 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hello Yassine,

Azure don’t delegate IPs from Azure-assigned IP ranges to customers. We host the reverse DNS zones for all Azure-assigned IP ranges (in-arpa zones) ourselves. We do however allow customers to create PTR records for their CloudService/VM public IP addresses within these reverse DNS zones hosted by Azure.

For VMs created with the ASM management stack, please see here:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-reverse-dns-for-azure-cloud-services/

For VMs created with the ARM management stack, you need to set the Reverse DNS property on the Public IP Address resource (PS reference here, and API reference here). As with ASM, you need to demonstrate at create time that you own the DNS name to which you want the reverse DNS record to point - you can achieve that by creating an A record for that name back to the Public IP address (or any other public IP address within your subscription).

Regards,

Stephen Malone (Azure Networking)

Monday, January 11, 2016 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hello Yassine,

Greetings!

We are pleased to answer your query. With regards to your query, i would suggest you to please refer the article which explains about DNS for Azure Cloud Services.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Kamalakar K

Saturday, January 9, 2016 12:37 PM
  • Hello Yassine,

Azure don’t delegate IPs from Azure-assigned IP ranges to customers. We host the reverse DNS zones for all Azure-assigned IP ranges (in-arpa zones) ourselves. We do however allow customers to create PTR records for their CloudService/VM public IP addresses within these reverse DNS zones hosted by Azure.

For VMs created with the ASM management stack, please see here:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-reverse-dns-for-azure-cloud-services/

For VMs created with the ARM management stack, you need to set the Reverse DNS property on the Public IP Address resource (PS reference here, and API reference here). As with ASM, you need to demonstrate at create time that you own the DNS name to which you want the reverse DNS record to point - you can achieve that by creating an A record for that name back to the Public IP address (or any other public IP address within your subscription).

Regards,

Stephen Malone (Azure Networking)

Monday, January 11, 2016 3:30 PM