FileOpenPicker - Camera and Bing RRS feed

• Question

• I have just updated my c# store app to support Windows 8.1 and everything works fine but it has failed certification.  I believe the reason for this is because I claim in the description that it is possible to load an image direct from the users web-cam or direct from a Bing image search but those options no longer appear when you launch the FileOpenPicker in Windows 8.1  The feature was a main selling point of the app in Windows 8 and users loved the fact that they could choose an image from SkyDrive, their Picture Library, Bing or their camera all in the same place on the FileOpenPicker.

Has this ability been completely removed now?  I can still access the library and SkyDrive but really need to get the other features back.  Is there an easy way to allow users to pick a file from the camera or Bing in Windows 8.1?

Monday, November 11, 2013 8:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• These extensions aren't available out of the box, but an app could provide them. See Quickstart: Integrating with file picker contracts (Windows Store apps)

--Rob

• Marked as answer by KinWorld Monday, November 11, 2013 9:44 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 9:01 PM
  • It used to be out of the box in Windows 8!

Anyway, I've now added the camera functionality using the CameraCaptureUI functionality.

Now I need to work out how to get Bing image search results in there...

Monday, November 11, 2013 9:09 PM
  • Hi,

Were you able to reproduce the same behavior we had in W8? Because using the CameraCaptureUI opens the camera control and we can't select a file on disk for instance.

I face the same issue and honestly I don't understand why Microsoft has simply removed this nice feature. Especially when it impacts an app used in production which is my case :(.

Thanks.

Omid Bayani - KwypeSoft

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:04 PM
  • I haven't had much time to look at this but it appears it is no longer possible to recreate what we had in W8.  I now have two icons with one to open the camera and one to open the file picker. Not ideal and no Bing search.  I was looking forward to a raft of new features with the W8.1 update not some of the best old features being removed!
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:51 PM
  • Funny, I did the same thing in my app: I added one more button to open the camera using CameraCaptureUI.

But that's so frustrating to see Microsoft simply removing one such nice feature.

Omid Bayani - KwypeSoft

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:06 PM
  • I vote they put the BING search back in the file picker. This broke my win 8 app also.  How can they remove stuff like that???
    Friday, January 3, 2014 9:09 PM
  • Integrating bing search with the file open picker is a unique feature. This also broke my app! Who thought that this is not a useful scenario?

Bring it back ASAP!!!!

Friday, January 10, 2014 7:16 PM