controls on sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

Firstly I admit that I am too new to sharepoint.

I usually work with excel sheets containing nearly 5000 rows and 25 cols of data.

Currently, I have uploaded the excel file with list (custom lists)

to make it easy for the end user, I wanted to place 3 combo boxes where the user can select from the list,
    1. Country Name
    2. Main Category
    3. Sub Category so that the user can select from one or all the boxes and get the data instead of viewing thorough (The default filter looks confusing - customer feed back)

Can any one help me how can I get this.

With Thanks and Regards
    Repath Athyala
    www.Repath.WordPress.Com

Love the Love that Loves the Love and Hate the Love that Loves the Hate.
    Monday, February 7, 2011 7:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It would be better if you can mention the sharepoint product version. (2007 or 2010)

If i understood you correctly, you have uploaded excel in library and now you want to get the data from excel based on selection.

As far as i know, there is no such kind of feature available in sharepoint 2007. You may need to create custom webpart using object model. Where you can read the excel file (using streadreader class) and display the appropriate data.

Please give us your feedback for any doubt

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:54 AM
    Monday, February 7, 2011 9:32 AM
  • You'll need to create a dataview of the list using SharePoint designer. Here's a blog post on "Customizing SharePoint List Views ". It shows you step by step on how to create a dataview and use a drop down control to filter the results of that view. Hopefully you'll find this helpful.

As for the "Window/Freeze option similar to Excel " in your view, I'm pretty sure this is doable using some CSS. I didn't need to do something like this yet, so can't give you the exact code/steps.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/
    • Edited by Parvez Akkas Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:16 AM Additional comments
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It would be better if you can mention the sharepoint product version. (2007 or 2010)

If i understood you correctly, you have uploaded excel in library and now you want to get the data from excel based on selection.

As far as i know, there is no such kind of feature available in sharepoint 2007. You may need to create custom webpart using object model. Where you can read the excel file (using streadreader class) and display the appropriate data.

Please give us your feedback for any doubt

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    Monday, February 7, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Thank you  Hemendra.
    Monday, February 7, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Rapath - I think you're just looking for an alternative way for users to view data that you've imported into a list from excel. Let me know if this is not what you're after. If it is, you can do this by creating a data view using SharePoint designer. It can involve a little bit of work, but it should be doable. I can try and find some references if you're interested.

But what did you mean by "the default filter looks confusing..."? Where exactly is the confusion coming from?

Pman
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:14 AM
  • Dear Pl 7626,

I thankyou very much for your concern and interest.  I am greatful.

Please make it hypothetical as I cannot reveal my real job profile.

I am working with a database of a with nearly 2000 and odd entries
    These individual sheets are done by local users and are sent to me.  I consolidate the data into a single sheet in Excel and import into Sharepoint.  This spread sheet has nearly 26 cols and nearly 2000 and more rows, it has as many as 86 different categories.

It is done succesfully.  I also created different views based on categories and 4 other parameters like sub category, work type and the like.

It is pretty good, to look into the first few categories (as the list is sorted alphabetically), but when they come to the last categories, the end user is not able to view the column headings.  So, I thought of having something like Window/Freeze option similar to Excel where column headers remain static no matter where ever we may move in the spread sheet, but unfortunately, we donot have such option.  Hence I thought of placing three combo boxes, one for base cagetory, sub category, work type,  so that the user may select from the base category first, next from sub category and next work type so that he may get only those rows that fit the criteria.

I apologise, for being too descriptive, but this is the situation.  Any help will be of great use.  Please help.  Please let me know if there is any other alternative.

in my previous mail "the default filter looks confusing..."  What I meant is that, when we import a spread sheet to share point list, column headers display an automatic drop down list box, but this is too confusing the the end user as he/she has to again select from the huge list of values.

With sincere thanks and regards
    Repath Athyala.
    www.repath.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 12:56 PM
  • You'll need to create a dataview of the list using SharePoint designer. Here's a blog post on "Customizing SharePoint List Views ". It shows you step by step on how to create a dataview and use a drop down control to filter the results of that view. Hopefully you'll find this helpful.

As for the "Window/Freeze option similar to Excel " in your view, I'm pretty sure this is doable using some CSS. I didn't need to do something like this yet, so can't give you the exact code/steps.

Pman
    • Edited by Parvez Akkas Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:16 AM Additional comments
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:13 AM